Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Argh… one misspelled letter costs £2000
  • Flaperon

Just discovered that Manchester City Council have misspelled my surname on the electoral roll, confusing an “O” with an “E”. How they did this when I printed the form in capital letters, I don’t know.

Unfortunately, this has scuppered my mortgage application (as the credit agencies show me as not on the electoral roll) which means that by the time it’s fixed, I’ll have to pay over £2000 in stamp duty on my new house.

I even voted last year and didn’t spot the error because they kept the list of names hidden from me!

bigsi
    Free Member

Most lenders won’t reject a mortgage application just because you’re not on the voters roll but may ask why you’re not appearing on it.

A copy of the voters roll can be obtained from your local library which together with a letter of explanation is enough for most lenders to get past this hurdle.

Hope that helps 😉

Flaperon

Woohoo!

bigsi
    Free Member

?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Would it be easier just to change your name?

Flaperon

Probably. The problem got flagged when I did a credit check with Experian this evening before applying for the mortgage online, but need to have it in place sharpish to avoid stamp duty changes on the 25th March.

Will do it in branch instead so they can send this letter away with the main application.

bigsi
    Free Member

Regardless of whether you do it on-line or in branch it’ll still be subject to the same credit scoring. Some lenders don’t have an appeals process & some do.

If it’s just a misspelling on the voters roll & you’ve other credit registered at your address then it may not be a problem.

nick3216
    Free Member

misspelled letter

project
    Free Member

Just tell the mortgage company (unless its Santander,little chance of them getting things right) that youve posted the matter up on here, that should scare them poo-less, and tell them TJ is on the case.

Onzadog
    Free Member

And join a union.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Little chance of it being resolved by 25th March then project.

project
    Free Member

Little chance of it being resolved by 25th March then project.

just depends whay year you had in mind. 🙁

trail_rat
    Free Member

Flaperon ,

Urm are you not cutting it even finer than me for the 23rd ( date of completion not to pay stamp duty)

Im now at the waiting for a formal offer stage and still my solicitors worried we might not make it …..

Also afaik unless my parents registered me to vote at their gaff then i wasnt on electoral role as i havnt been in e uk for the past 2 years at those times due to to work

cynic-al
    Free Member

nick3216 – Member
    misspelled letter

😛

Flaperon

Has to be complete by the 25th according to mortgage advisor (ie 23:59 on the 24th).

trail_rat
    Free Member

might want to get a new mortgage advisor

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/stamp-duty

its complete by the 24th – ie 23:59 on the 23rd

i complete on the 23rd for a reason – also the 24th is a saturday – maybe its different in london town but in aberdeen good luck getting a solicitor to work a saturday – let alone late 😉

bruneep

where have you bought Terry?

Flaperon

From http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/sdlt/intro/rates-thresholds.htm

First time buyers
    The first time buyer’s £250,000 threshold applies from 25 March 2010 up to 24 March 2012 inclusive.

Agree with you about the solicitor working on a Saturday but to me the word inclusive suggests that the cut-off is 23:59 on the 24th.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Fair enough thats a more authoritive link then mine .

My solicitor does saturday mornings but wont do completions on a saturday

Lucky that was a teacher my mrs is entitled to take that day off work (23rd)

My boss has said long as i aint stuck on a rig somewhere he will fly me back …. Although i might have to sign power of attorney to my dad or someone before i go in case – im supposed to be on a rig in the crimea/black sea about then !

Jgmoores
    Free Member

Completing on the 23rd? that’s cutting it close, you’d better hope the money isn’t later than 2 pm (or whatever other time you may have agreed) otherwise you’re deemed to have completed on the Monday!

edsbike
    Free Member

Similar problems here, Santander screwed me round for three weeks repeatedly asking for documents I’d already supplied, likely to miss the 24th now and lose £1800. Have changed to Natwest!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Jg moores

Think i got the house for a steal , wasnt expecting to complete before the deadline. As by 2 weeks ago on monday i hadnt seen a single house i liked so have budgeted for paying it but when my solicitor suggested we could make it after id found a house i liked and got my offer accepted decided to push for keeping the 2 k in my pocket – few coats of paint and some furniture tht is !

But if i have to pay it i have to pay it .

Edsbike im with natwest ( through rbs) branch staff seem incompetent but the phone folk are brand new !

tyke
    Free Member

The completion period doesn’t need to be a month, it can be shorter or longer if both parties agree. It’s not down to your solicitor deciding that he doesn’t do completions at week-ends, by law it needs to be a week day.

trail_rat
    Free Member

hows things going flaperon ?

im still stressing out about the mortgage- its due to be back from underwriters tonight – my current house has new tennents moving in the day i leave as of last night so if it doesnt go through ill be homeless :s erk

Flaperon

Decision in principle with no problems – Nationwide not particularly bothered about address history as I’ve had my current account with them for the last three years. It’s in the hands of the gods now (though since I’ve paid a £1000 reservation fee I’m hoping they’ll be kind).

What was more embarrassing was when the mortgage advisor printed off two year’s worth of statements and asked me to highlight my monthly rent payments. Suspect I might be personally responsible for Caffe Nero’s profit this year.

Was worth going into branch to do initial application – some unpleasant questions on the form and the paperwork’s gone off to head office via internal mail with “URGENT” stamped all over it. Been impressed so far – the valuation was arranged, completed, and paid for by the bank within 24 hours of the application going in.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

I got my mortgage approved using an out of date passport as ID, featuring a pic of me as a 16 yr old (long hair, no stubble, no glasses, look about 12).

I am now bald, stubbly and wear glasses. They didn’t seem to care about lack of resemblance, and I wasn’t particularly inclined to point out the expiry date.

Flaperon

Good news, everyone:

Mortgage approved!

scuzz
    Free Member

Too much time on facebook… Clicked the report button thinking it was a ‘like’!

MRanger156
    Free Member

DO you still not need to complete pretty quick though?

trail_rat
    Free Member

your doing better than me

my mortgage offers due on monday after pestering them twice a day

word of warning – never use RBS…. talk about dragging their feet – no one told me that before , although tbh i never asked.

the folk selling my house have stuck it back on the market at the advice of their solicitor after 12 days but phoned me up yesterday and explained that as long as the mortgage comes through good they will still honour our original contract…. so thats promising

Flaperon

Fortunately it’s a new build which is complete. My solicitor is familiar with the development and knows the builder’s solicitors, searches have already started, and everyone is aware that we’re aiming to complete by the 23rd.

No one can see a reason for delays to crop up – in fact, I believe the draft paperwork is already in place.

Of course, being told by phone that it’s approved is a vastly different thing to actually having the offer in my sticky little mitts, but am assured it’s sent out first class.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Get them to fax it?

I had a similar situation with our last mortgage (A&L I think). Told it was all approved, sorted, no problems. Days and days and the paperwork doesn’t turn up. Finally someone admits to me that “their printer is broken” 🙄

On the phone every day by this point telling them that we complete on the Thursday (this is Monday). Woman on the phone says “oh well, you might have to move your completion date back a few days.”

I damn near ate the phone at that point, then, I admit, yelled down the line pointing out rather forcibly that I live in Scotland, that moving the completion date therefore costs ££££ and that if it didn’t all go through because of their non-working printer, it wouldn’t be me paying the extra.

Came through pretty quick after that – think they faxed it the same day. 😀

charlierevell
    Free Member

So now isn’t the time to talk about the super slow process I went through selling the other halves house?
    It took 6 months for them to get everything done due to some anomalies around the house as it was a new build.

Such as an entire argument over which covered parking space belonged to who… and what if the neighbour said you couldn’t walk over their space to get to yours!
    Then they realised the house builder hadn’t registered the property correctly in the first place so the council refused to believe it was complete… or even existed!

Stupid solicitors!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Argh… one misspelled letter costs £2000’ is closed to new replies.