Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Anyone on here like tiny, retro Konas??
  • druidh
    Free Member

I was fettling this today.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Oh my God what year is that!! HAs to be 80’s .. don’t think I’ve EVER seen that frame colour before! Thought my 1994 one was old!

druidh
    Free Member

1991 I think. Mostly original too – I fact I think it’s only the saddle that’s been changed.

mtbmaff
    Free Member

I bought my first mountain bike, a cindercone, which was the same colour and had a U brake just like that one in 1989.
    I bought it from Thornhill cycles, Selly Oak, Birmingham, £429 If I remember correctly?

Matt.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cantis came back in in 1990 iirc so 89 sounds about right

peteimpreza

Please take the clamp of the top tube

colnagokid

me brother had one like that, I guess about ’89

druidh
    Free Member

Ooh – ’89 then. She was a couple of years out (or she bought old stock).

druidh
    Free Member

peteimpreza – Member

Please take the clamp of the top tube

??

cynic-al
    Free Member

top tubes are thin so some folk think you should not use them to clamp up the frame

druidh
    Free Member

Ah. That’ll be the same folk who think Schrader valves are correct on bicycles and that disk brakes are “too powerful” for road bikes….

nickc

Loves it, drive train is properly shagged now though

mamadirt
    Free Member

Anyone on here like tiny, retro Konas??

Somebody called?

That’s lovely. It looks much smaller than my old Fire Mountain retro project.

druidh
    Free Member

LOL – I thought you’d be along in due course. 😀

What “vintage” is your Fire Mountain?

ziggy
    Free Member

Yep definately 89, my first proper MTB, where did you find one in that condition? Everything even down to the reflectors is original.

Selly Oak cycles, wow hadn’t heard of them for years, thanks for the memories on this thread 🙂

peteimpreza

‘Ah. That’ll be the same folk who think Schrader valves are correct on bicycles and that disk brakes are “too powerful” for road bikes….’

Bollocks.

As advised by several bike makers

topangarider
    Free Member

Paint splatter paint job – excellent!

Reminds me of my ’91 Diamondback Topanga still lurking in the folks garage somewhere!

heihei

Nope – reckon it’s 87 or 88. I bought 2 Konas in 89 (a lava dome and an explosif) and that was the year they’d moved away from splatter frames.

Gutted I sold my old Explosif – trying to find another one to replace it with!!

mamadirt
    Free Member

druidh – Member

LOL – I thought you’d be along in due course.

What “vintage” is your Fire Mountain?

Mine was a 1990, as is that little Cinder Cone. You can see the old 1990 catalogue here. I sold the Fire Mountain as it was really too big for me (17″ I think).

mefster
    Free Member

I had a Fire Mountain of the same year; black with pink splatter and rear u-brake. I think it was an ’88 bike. My brother had an expolsif of the same year; pistachio green with yellow splatter. Fantastic bike. He managed to peel the water bottle bosses from the downtube falling off trying to cross the ford at Little Langdale.

Still sorely missed!

druidh
    Free Member

Hmmm. Right tyres, wrong groupset. This one is all Shimano, including Biopace rings.

ziggy
    Free Member

Sorry to sound such a bore but it’s definately an 89 as it was the year I left school and started work in the bike trade, the pink and black fire mountain was also 88, 89 was the first year Second Level Sports had started importing Konas.

So where did you find it OP?

colnagokid

defo not an 87 88. My bro got his to replace a Muddy fox Courier Comp, which he got in 87, and had for 1 1/2 -2 years so its 89/90
    i may be able to dig out photographic evidence if i ever work out how to post a pic!!!!!!!

druidh
    Free Member

To clarify – I didn’t “get it”. It belongs to a friend of mine who bought it from new. As a chronic sufferer of ME, she’s hardly ridden it, hence the condition it’s in.

Nice tho, innit?

colnagokid

its a beaut’ shame about who you got it. Best wishes to her

bobgarrod
    Free Member
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Anyone on here like tiny, retro Konas??’ is closed to new replies.