Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Anyone on here a Cub leader?
  • Harry_the_Spider

I seem to be getting railroaded into it. Maybe helping out every other week and on any camping trips and days out.

My son is already in the pack. My daughter will be joining soon and she has a medical condition which basically means that wherever she goes, I go.

Not sure if the “politics” will grind me down though as there seems to be quite a lot of it.

So, is it a laugh or a PITA?

Your experiences please.

justridemtb
    Free Member

It’s a blast and very rewarding. Currently a group scout leader. Done the lot, you won’t regret it. Can be frustrating at times though

MoreCashThanDash

MrsMC is a Guide leader, I’m on the exec committee of Jnrs Scout group, but have helped out on unit nights, plus camps and activities across Beavers, Cubs and Scouts whenever required. Guides, plus two active kids, means i don’t have time to commit to doing it properly.

No real politics with our group. Occasional personality clashes like any group of people. Its hard work but great fun. If you are an active group, the sheer range of activities the kids (and you) get to try is fantastic, and I love seeing the kids trying new stuff, taking on a challenge and having their horizons broadened. Last year our Scouts tried horse riding, nearly all for the first time. Never seen them buzzing so much, totally unexpected. And seeing 4000 kids having the time of their lives at Peak 2015 last year, all provided by volunteers, was mind blowing.

It’s ungrateful parents treating you as cheap childcare that will get to you. Or moaning about the lack of places/activities but not being prepared to help out. Ever.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Yep, I helped with beavers for a year or two. There’s an amazing amount of support within the movement, and it’s a fantastic thing for both kids and adults to do.

As far as other adults go, there are do-ers and there are talkers. Despite what you may think, both sets are important but you might not feel that way from time to time. Especially when bring told you’ve done something “wrong” by someone who could quite easily have helped you proactively. No different from most workplaces in that respect though.

Do it, you won’t regret it. It makes you a better human being and you get see your own and others little ones thrive as part of something much much bigger than school or sports teams.

MoreCashThanDash

Can I nominate plumslikerocks as the next Chief Scout? Brilliant way of putting it.

It makes you a better human being and you get see your own and others little ones thrive

takisawa2

Cat Herder. Aka Beaver Section Leader, here.
    I have helped at Cubs plenty of times. In fact it’s quite funny, as most of them were Beavers with me at one time. I know them better than their Cub leader.

welshfarmer

My mum was Akela back when I was of cub age. Mind you that was 40 years ago, I imagine things may have changed a little since then. 🙂

takisawa2

takisawa2

el_boufador

Yep beavers leader here, very rewarding. I think adults and youth lose touch so in that respect it’s an awesome thing to be involved in. The only thing that grinds me down is the sometimes excessively high expectations of how much time you can give up. Some people involved clearly too much time on their hands and don’t seem to be able to work efficiently, and don’t see that you might have other things you need to do with your time! This said, we’ve got our working prctices pretty good at beavers, I give up on average 1 night per week for the meeting and related admin.

Get the comments about the cheap childcare and lack of involvement from certain parents. Tellingly, I had to ask the parent of one kid (who was behaving terribly) to come to support. All they did in the two sessions they came to, dad pissed about on laptop, mum pissed about on phone. No interest or input shown. No finger lifted. Poor kid, i now understand where the behaviour comes from!

Junkyard
    Free Member

DO you still need to believe in god to do it?

Genuine question not a troll as that is what stopped me in the past

luke
    Free Member

I’m a Scout leader and have 3 other roles at County level, avoid the politics and its great get caught in the politics and its not so much.
    Used to be a leader in a group the politics drove me out, joined another group when the lad started Beavers, this time one with no group agendas and life’s good.
    Took a coach load through 10 countries in 2 weeks last summer spending a week of it in Romania was excellent and underlined why I love the role, planning the next adventure at the moment.

Just remember if you need help ask for it, and don’t be afraid to walk away if you need or want to.

el_boufador

Nope atheist here, all declared, it’s still a bit goddy, changing slowly would say. I don’t mi d supporting the church though, they’re just misguided and we get use of their hall cheap.

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

I helped out when both by boys went through Beavers, Cubs and Scouts. I got CRB’d by them. Helped out on camps, activity nights, painting the hut and odd jobs, days out and also did the accounts for a couple of years. I was happy to do it but there was a bit of ‘guilting’ parents to do stuff although I never saw the helping out as a chore.
    I stopped short of doing the leader bit cos I could never commit to a time because of work.
    When both kids finished I stopped. There were 60 other parents who would pull up, drop off the kids and drive off and return 2 hours later. As my kids had left I wasn’t prepared to give my time up whilst other parents left their kids with me/us and I wasn’t spending time with my own kids.
    Having said all that I would encourage you to help, scouting rely on people giving up their time and it always tends to fall on a small handful who make large sacrifices with their time. You will get annoyed by those who do nothing to contribute. Even helping out by doing jobs around the hut or supervision on marches, camps etc would be greatly appreciated if you decide that fully committing to be a leader is not for you.

sbob
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus

Atheist in my late thirties here. They (scouts) adjusted the pledge to suit my beliefs at the time. 🙂

1-shed
    Free Member

Speak to Charlie the bike monger about his beach football, I would join just for that. On a sensible note I’m sure it will be rewarding but hard work. Cheers 1 shed.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I was a cub leader.I volunteered as a way of getting my son in ,past the very long district waiting list 4 years ago. I’ve now moved up ,to being a scout leader. It’s been very rewarding,though I have to say being a scout leader is easier. It also helps that we have 5 regular leaders so we are able to share the workload,all of whom contribute to programme planning.

MoreCashThanDash

Nope atheist here, all declared, it’s still a bit goddy, changing slowly would say. I don’t mi d supporting the church though, they’re just misguided and we get use of their hall cheap.

Same here. See past the paranoia about fairytales and accept that in 50 years being linked to the local church none of our kids have been brainwashed into going on a crusade to kill the infidel.

It varies between groups, but Scouting is one of the best ways to teach kids tolerance. Beliefs, culture, disabilities, both mental and physical. Stick them in a tent in a field and they learn to accept each other and deal with it.

Maybe we should form our own 1st Singletrack Scout group?

Harry_the_Spider

I had a long phone call with “Baloo” last night. I have to pick a Jungle Book name.

Akela and Bagheera are off limits and Kaa has only just retired.

perchypanther
    Free Member

King Louie?

Harry_the_Spider

Louie eh? I like that

paul4stones

Is there a spider in the Jungle Book?

freeagent
    Free Member

Been involved with scouts on and off my whole life (I’m 43 now)
    Currently helping out with Explorer scouts, which is good as only bi-weekly.
    Some of my best life experiences have been via scouting.

mountainman

Been through the lot ,as many on here,started as scout myself,venture scout,asl venture scouts,scout leader,beavers.
    Then moved to wales,scout leader again different groups as moved house.
    Now in Ireland ,scout assistant with local sea scouts,great way of getting into a new community n getting to know people.

Religion is not an issue these days unless your group is church attached,but scouting should embrace all beliefs .

jeffl

Would be quite keen on being a leader but unfortunately the rest of the family, work and general life don’t allow me to dedicated the requisite time.

However I generally offer to help out if they need a hand at Scouts doing anything. Last week it was setting fire to stuff and cooking over an open fire which was fun. Previously to the fun fire starting it was much more boring setting up and tearing down for the scout fete.

Currently have one in Beavers and one in Scouts.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Yep Beaver Leader here.
    Couldn’t justify dropping my son off, heading home, then heading back 30 mins later to collect.

I love it. Great fun, especially at Beavers age and very rewarding. My son will move up to cubs at the end of the year but I’ll be staying with the Beavers.

What surprised me is how much kids haven’t done. As an active ourdoorsy type our family is always up to stuff so our kids have experienced a lot. You find you’ll be taking a lot of kids out to do things they have never done before which you take for granted with your own kids. Very very rewarding.

D0NK

Yeah….can anyone give advice on what beavers is like? Eldest is asking about joining, I was in cubs and scouts and apart from the oath and maybe a prayer at the start or finish (can’t 100% remember), there was no other preachy stuff during the sessions. What’s beavers like? It’s at the kids (CoE) school, some of the teachers/parents are quite happy clappy and our kids are already getting preached at too much imo. Wouldn’t mind kids experiencing the outdoorsy stuff I got to do at cubs and scouts but dunno if beavers is a bit more like sunday school with neckerchiefs.

Of course they also expect church attendance once a month, we’ll have to see how stringent they are with that, I remember a lot of my fellow cubs and scouts never showed up at all.

MoreCashThanDash

Donk – that sounds quite unusual in this day and age, but some groups are more Goddy than others.

Be up front and ask them. If you don’t like the answer, see if there is another group nearby.

Harry_the_Spider

Donk. Go and volunteer to help at the Donklet’s first meeting.

Our’s is a Church pack. We go twice a year. St Georges Day and Remembrance Day. God doesn’t get a mention. However, if we attended monthly we’d probably get reduced rent on the hall.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Anyone on here a Cub leader?’ is closed to new replies.