Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Anyone not use Lycra padded liner shorts?
  • aracer
    Free Member

Eh, I use Charge Knives on all my bikes, nothing remotely plush about that.

Oh – maybe the padding is somewhere else then 😉

When was the last time you seriously tried riding without chamois? That is to say, a number of rides, tweaking your setup, making sure your saddle and your kit works for you, etc?

Are you suggesting that I should change the setup of my bike to ride without padded shorts? 😯

Given the majority of my bike riding* at the moment seems to be on the school run, I don’t bother wearing padded shorts most of the time. It’s certainly not an issue on rides that short, but I can tell the difference, and I don’t need to go on a long ride in normal clothes to tell it will be less comfortable.

* I do lots of other riding, just not on a bike

cinnamon_girl

I wear the ladies version of this:

http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/craft-cool-bike-boxer-254.html

But the best I’ve found is made by Gonzo, from Rose Bikes. Really minimalist and unfortunately it looks as though they’ve stopped selling them. 🙁

Northwind

aracer – Member

Are you suggesting that I should change the setup of my bike to ride without padded shorts?

I’m suggesting that it might bring things to your attention which are currently hidden by your cushion 😉

I weigh 9 and a half stone btw, only way I could free up enough weight to have a far arris would be to remove a kidney or something. Though hey, I am a weight weenie so maybe I should give that a try.

All jokes aside- it’s obviously nothing that people need to be changing if what they do works well for them. But I’d also bet money that there are plenty of people who think a chamois is a neccessity who would be perfectly happy without. Might take a little effort though.

But, if the OP or other folks are having issues caused by chamois it seems obvious to try. And I’ve heard a lot of people grumping about their chamois on rides and on forums- expensive, sweaty, chafey, smelly, a hassle to keep clean, all that stuff.

Free yourself from these padded shackles, sheeple!

fattyre500
    Free Member

I found washing my shorts without any fabric conditioner made them a bit more bum friendly and i’d recommend aloe vera gel for treating any minor skin irritations between rides.

diver
    Free Member

Try Skins compression shorts under (seams unnoticable) or Skins cycling shorts – expensive but v effective.

GrahamS

I weigh 9 and a half stone btw…

There’s your answer – if you don’t weigh enough to compress the padding in the thinnest of saddles, then you are unlikely to need extra cushioning from a chamois.

Sadly not all of us have the physique of a pre-pubescent girl 😉

Northwind

OIC- so aracer says I don’t need a chamois because I’m fat, whereas you say it’s because I’m thin? 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

Well it has to be one or the other.

Northwind

Baby Bear says I’m just right.

Course, now I think of it I’ve only been talking about comfort. It’s entirely possible my razor-blade saddle has left me as impotent as a Nevada boxing commissioner.

aracer
    Free Member

It’s probably the fur in that case.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Anyone not use Lycra padded liner shorts?’ is closed to new replies.