Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone made their own chain device?
  • turtleheading
    Free Member

How hard is it to build your own chain device?

Reason being, I don’t really want to have to for out ~£30 for an adapter + another £30 for a device. Canyon Nerve has non standard tabs see. Or will a bottom bracket mounted device work on the frame? I’ve heard mixed reviews on the BB devices and that some wont fit because of the swing arm. Looking to go double 24/38ish.

Duane…
    Free Member

What is the £30 adapter?

I’ve not had problems with BB mounted chainguides before, they can slip a bit if you don’t do the BB up. Whether they fit will depend on your frame of course.

I was pretty close to making my own guide last year (had some carbon fibre sheet and delrin block) but ran out of time..

turtleheading
    Free Member

Its from canyon, so £10 for the adapter, £4 bolts, £15 postage (flat rate). And you cant tell if a BB one will fit until you buy one and try and fit it… bah…

Duane…
    Free Member

CRC do free returns so buy a few and be careful with the packaging.

From the looks of the frame you should be able to fit any standard BB-ISCG adapter;
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11452

To run an ISCG chainguide (some guides may come with this adapter).

mrelectric

Both my Canyon Nerves have an adapter plate to take it from the old ISCG to ISCG 05 standard. But you should be able to get a chain device for either. You might struggle with a downtube type because of the forming of the tube in that area. Its an E2 FR mnt too but without BB clamping.
    I’ve got MRP dual on ; works well but I know what you mean about the price. I’ve already trashed one bottom guide cover and that’s 19 quid.
    Some people on here got that adapter FoC I’m sure from Canyon UK. Four quid for bolts seems excessive as does 15 quid carriage!

turtleheading
    Free Member

Its a tenna postage actually, miss read. Its a flat rate UPS traced postage, supposed it stops people abusing the system etc. Going to order the adapter me thinks, need a mech hanger from them anyway so may as well combine the postage.

jamiep
    Free Member

Someone did post a decent-looking homemade device using part of a pen and other stuff. I can’t mind what you could search for but think it was on a thread discussing Paul’s Chain Device (or whatever it is called)

Duane…
    Free Member
    mrelectric

Just posted on thatt thread above re free simple inner guide.

I wouldn’t recommend the Canyon rear hangers; brittle die cast. BETD CNC ones on other thread are way better.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone made their own chain device?’ is closed to new replies.