Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anyone lift weights? – Dumbell/weights routines
  • organic355
    Free Member

Any one got a good one they can share?

Just starting out so nothing too complicated. Ive got 2 x 10kg dumbells + an extra 4 x 2.5kg discs. Ive taken all the smaller discs off the dumbells and got 4 x 2.5 on each plus the bar at the moment, so just over 11kg.

Ive got a 5ft bar and 4 x 5kg plates on the way and ive also got one of these 13 in 1 benches, so lots of options.

I am trying to tone up and develop strength for martial arts (& biking) rather than bodybuild, I would like bigger muscles, but not aiming for Arnie Size!

So anyone got any good routines, or is it just a case of making your own which suits you?

sc-xc

I have tried and tried with split routines, but nothing I have ever done comes close to the strength gains I have got with stronglifts

Stronglifts

It is based around 2 sessions:

Session 1: Squat/Bench Press/Barbell Row
    Session 2: Squat/Overhead Lift/Deadlift

I supplement session 1 with BW dips, and session 2 with chin ups.

It starts off easy – nice and light, you can work on form. It soon gets hard though, but as these exercises use your whole body (as opposed to isolating small muscles) it really is making a difference.

I have built my home gym around the program – have a read.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Don’t rule out body-weight exercises like sit-ups/crunches, pull-ups, chin-ups and press-ups … I find these, done correctly, build good strength without too much additional bulk.

Plus, you only need minimal space/equipment.

CaptJon
    Free Member

+1 strong lifts. The alternative similar programme is Starting Strength

Both have proven to provide excellent gains. I put 20kg on my squat in 6 weeks with Stronglifts.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yes, I usually do 5 reps on each arm. Then I put them down and go and watch TV because lifting weights is very boring.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Stronglifts is a good starting point, but a lack of spotter could be a problem.

Don’t worry about getting like Arnie, it won’t happen by accident.

kudos100
    Free Member

Stronglifts and starting strength are both very good.

As you haven’t got a squat rack you will have to improvise a bit.

Build a routine around, deadlifts, squats, bench press, military press and pullups/rows

You can do front squats if you clean the bar to your chest. http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/FrontSquat.html

Same goes for military press http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidAnterior/BBMilitaryPress.html

You will have to do both of these with light weight and higher reps as you cannot rack the bar if you fail. Leave a couple of reps in the tank.

I’d have a good read of stronglifts and learn the form for the major lifts before upping the weight.

The two most important exercises are the deadlift and squat. Depending on your biomechanics you will probably be more suited to one or the other. The deadlift is the number one exercise you can do to help with riding. The squat is arguably the better all round movement as long as you have the mechanics for it.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Have a look at some old school leg exrcises like hack lifts which are safe to do alone.

http://jva.ontariostrongman.ca/HACK.htm

Bagstard
    Free Member

You will probably need to buy some more weights for these exrcises.

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve just started on this routine: http://dbcombos.com/

Try not to be put off by the all-american vibe, the content seems very good and extremely well suited to mountain bikers (no surprise there then…)

organic355
    Free Member

As you haven’t got a squat rack you will have to improvise a bit.

been looking at these but think I will build one if I feel I need it.

Klunk
    Free Member

going easy on the weight if your doing it on your own.

organic355
    Free Member

Depending on your biomechanics you will probably be more suited to one or the other……. The squat is arguably the better all round movement as long as you have the mechanics for it.

What do you mean by mechanics?, my build? I am 5’7″ but very broad shouldered/stocky.

JonBurns
    Free Member

Quick StrongLifts query. If you register what do you get e-mailed that isn’t already on the website?

I’ve learnt the technique for the 5 exercises over the past months just not used them training specifically in this way.

funso
    Free Member

Check out Crossfit and Crossfit Endurance I’ve been doing CE since Jan and I love it there’s an App available that makes it handy for the gym. As some of the lifts are challenging it would make sense to take some classes to get you started, with your level of experience, give it go you won’t get huge but you will get in great shape.

sc-xc

Quick StrongLifts query. If you register what do you get e-mailed that isn’t already on the website?

He mails out useful FAQs and guides every couple of weeks. Definitely worth getting the app.

been looking at these but think I will build one if I feel I need it.

I built my gym around SL…there are some pictures of my home made squat rack on this thread.

chamley
    Free Member

I’d second the dbcombos linked up there. I’ve been doing the ultimate routine from the same guy for a year and a half now and it’s made a huge difference. He used to (still does?) coach the yeti team so he probably knows his stuff!

His routines cover everything, strength, power, conditioning, all with the dumb bells, barbell or body weight exercises.

elzorillo
    Free Member

Them kettlebells seem all the rage at the moment, although looks to me like a bad back waiting to happen.

There’s a fella down the road from me does it in just a cod piece then posts the vids on youtube :/

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7caisXrJCU[/video]

Edit: just like to point out that I don’t personally know this man.

organic355
    Free Member

sc-xc how did you make that aquat rack and what do you think it cost you?

CaptJon
    Free Member

elzorillo – Member
    Them kettlebells seem all the rage at the moment, although looks to me like a bad back waiting to happen.

Best not think about stiff-legged deadlifts then.

re. squat racks, i use two telescopic saw horses which are rated at 150kg (which i’m nowhere near squatting).

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anyone lift weights? – Dumbell/weights routines’ is closed to new replies.