Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anyone know or used a 'contact' in the US to purchase and forward on to UK?
  • bunnerscj
    Free Member

Want to import some bling goodies from the US.
    However, some companies want rip off money to send to the UK and only mark them at their retail value.

Want or need someone or some service where you can send something internal US, re value and send on to the UK.

Anyone done it / thoughts, feedback etc ?
    Thanks

richwales

Not that I know of. I've always used relatives, work colleagues.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Want or need someone or some service where you can send something internal US, re value and send on to the UK.

mmmmm nice legitimate business model right there …. defraud foreign governments ! – this service doesnt exist for a reason !

Trailseeker
    Free Member

this service doesnt exist for a reason !

YES IT DOES

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Looks good

uplink
    Free Member

I don't think P2GO revalue the goods for you 🙄

jammy_p
    Free Member

Also look at http://www.bundlebox.com

It allows you to have multiple items packed together to save on shipping.

trail_rat
    Free Member

cant see the bit where they will revalue it to a lower value ….

thats the dodgy bit – just getting a us address is easy enough !

uplink
    Free Member

There's plenty of US bike shops that will under value stuff on the customs form

but remember if it goes missing or gets damaged in transit, you'll only be able to claim up to the declared value – not much of a risk, granted

anjs
    Free Member

oh and no warrenty if it breaks

Trailseeker
    Free Member

If its sent inland US there is no value stated on the parcel, they then put on whatever value you say when they dispatch to you in the UK.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I just get my cousin in New York to buy it for me, and then she can send my "Birthday presents" back to me..

STATO
    Free Member

Trailseeker, thats all very well and good but when your £1500 frame gets damaged in transit what are you going to do when UPS or whoever offer to reimburse you the full stated/insured value of er… say £100.

vinnyeh

here's a previous post I made..

Used somebody like them once, about 4 years ago, for a birthday present for my wife. £50ish item ended up more than doubling in price, with the dropbox fees*, shipping, customs and vat and the revenue fee at this end. Took nearly a month from ordering to arrival as well.
    *company I bought the item off would only ship to cardholders address, so I had to pay the dropbox company, who then ordered the item for me. This costs, of course.
    Might be cheaper now though.

So, if you can pay for the item yourself (ie they'll ship a purchase made on a foreign issued card to a US address) you might be able to get way with avoiding customs, but I wouldn't bank on it. Mine had the valuation (item ocst plus all asociated fees) as the customs valuation. To be honest, if the business didn't do that, they'd be pretty foolish.

It was worth doing though.

forgotmename
    Free Member

A friend sent me a frame 3 yrs ago, it was £800 in usa and £1600+ in the uk, when i went to pick it up i happily paid £72 import duty.

earl_brutus

aspirevelotech.com

mike61
    Free Member

Yes

Send me an e-mail and I'll pass it on the guy I use. See details on brightonmtb.org (I've given up trying to post links here)

Done it loads of times no hassle.

Cheers

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know or used a 'contact' in the US to purchase and forward on to UK?’ is closed to new replies.