Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anyone into Bento boxes/lunches?
  • DrP

Having picked one up cheap from Millets (closing down), it seems like a fun way to get into good, healthy, filling foods…

I’m sure it’s a fad I’m going through, and will be back to sandwiches in no time, but anyone else into this??

JustBento looks like it has some nice recipies, but it seems a lot of effort to have to ‘cook’ everything the night before – I see some of the recipes are ‘fridge friendly’ for a week, so I imagine you dish a scoop or two out when needed?

Anyone got a good rice recipe they use??

ta!

DrP

Stoner
    Free Member

Check out Ainsley Harriets cous cous packs – been on offer in Morrisons for 50p each for ages. Some are very nice.

Mrs S went to work today with some of my veggie paella from last night in her bento box.

That actually sounds quite rude.

scaredypants

typo ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

had to google bento box.

so its another name for “lunch box” where one puts home made food in instead of going to the canteen and eating the MSG infested crap our canteen sells or going out to overpriced sandwich shops.

if so then i have me left over home made biryani i made for dinner last night for today in my “bento”

DezB
    Free Member

I just make a salad the night before.
    Note, I do NOT cut my radishes like this

warton
    Free Member

whats the difference between this, and a Tupperware box?

MSP

whats the difference between this, and a Tupperware box?

About 20 quid from what I can see.

DrP

Alright alright….!!

It’s the “idea”, rather than the “box”, as such, you cynical gits…

It just seems more interesting than a banana, sandwich, and yoghurt! If you’re not interested, move along!

DRP

Nope – morrisons for some freshly cooked chicken and a salad box pretty much every day

eskay

This is good, I started a thread about lunches the other day and someone posted this. Just finished off a bowl before typing this (although I used Tobasco as I could not find dry chilli flakes and the Tabasco is a permanent resident on my desk!):

Flavoured couscous. Add 160ml boiling water, leave covered for 5 mins, enjoy. Throw in a can of tuna, some seeds and dried chilly flakes and you have yourself a great meal. Less than 3g fat, 25g protein, good level of carbs and all under 300 +- 50 calories.

Original thread: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/just-add-water

arrpee
    Free Member

A lot of the recipes in Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall’s ‘Veg Every Day’ book would lend themselves to this style of eating (also easily adaptable if you want to chuck in a bit of something’s flesh). On a related note, those little tupperwares for freezing baby food are also ideal for storing dressing, so your salad isn’t mush by the time you get around to eating it.

zilog6128

so its another name for “lunch box” where one puts home made food in instead of going to the canteen and eating the MSG infested crap our canteen sells or going out to overpriced sandwich shops.

if so then i have me left over home made biryani i made for dinner last night for today in my “bento”
    Yep, I always cook massive dinners so I can have leftovers for lunch during the week. This means I have roast dinner most Monday lunchtime, which is ace.

DrP

On a related note, those little tupperwares for freezing baby food are also ideal for storing dressing, so your salad isn’t mush by the time you get around to eating it.

My £56 bento box came with a small container for dressings/soy….. 😉

DrP

M1llh0use
    Free Member

the last 2 weeks i’ve been doing a mega-bowl-of-win ™ lunch.

ingredients are:
    250g wholemeal pasta
    660g lloyd grossman bolognese sauce
    400g tin of tuna
    big bag of sugarsnap peas

cook, cool, pop in fridge and serve up a portion of win in a tupperware bento box. Et Voila! lunch for a week…

M1llh0use – you do know there’s the equivalent of nearly 5.5 grams of salt in 660g of Grossman sauce?

trail_rat
    Free Member

5.5 grams over a WEEK is hardly going to kill him

afterall unlike most people he is exercising portion control.

Ah my mistake, sorry – lazy reading

warton
    Free Member

those little tupperwares for freezing baby food are also ideal for storing dressing

yeah, one of these is always in my tupperware Bento box when I have salad.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR

M1llh0use – you do know there’s the equivalent of nearly 5.5 grams of salt in 660g of Grossman sauce?

no, thanks for opening my eyes! (but i think the mercury in the tuna will do more harm!!)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anyone into Bento boxes/lunches?’ is closed to new replies.