Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Just add water
  • eskay

I normally have sandwiches at lunchtimes but the last couple of days (after a recommendation from my wife!) I have had some Oat So Simple porridge pots which are quite nice.

So it got me wondering if anyone has any tasty lunctime tips for things that you just add boiling water to (only have access to a kettle not a microwave).

Leave Pot Noodles out though!

scaled
    Free Member

Smash? 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

boak – these are the sort of things i take with me when i travel to unknown places – like ukraine , turkmenistan , some of west africa.

id never willingly eat them for any other reason when good food is availible.

Conan257
    Free Member

Sort yourself out a microwave…

Bacon cooks in around 2-3 minutes in a microwave… Nothing better than hot bacon butties when everyone else has crappy lunches.

Lifer
    Free Member

Microwaved bacon = crappy lunch.

ska-49
    Free Member

Flavoured couscous. Add 160ml boiling water, leave covered for 5 mins, enjoy. Throw in a can of tuna, some seeds and dried chilly flakes and you have yourself a great meal. Less than 3g fat, 25g protein, good level of carbs and all under 300 +- 50 calories.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

I have 6 rough oatcakes, small amount of cheese, celery and crunchy peanut butter. Apple/banana/orange fruit salad 🙂

eskay

Flavoured couscous. Add 160ml boiling water, leave covered for 5 mins, enjoy. Throw in a can of tuna, some seeds and dried chilly flakes and you have yourself a great meal. Less than 3g fat, 25g protein, good level of carbs and all under 300 +- 50 calories.

That sounds good, I may give that a go.

annebr
    Free Member

ska-49 – Member

What brand/packet couscous do you use? That seems like a nice combo.

zilog6128

Microwaved bacon = crappy lunch.

Except if you have a microwave with a grill (like me!) Perfectly crispy bacon in 4 minutes. GET IN!

honourablegeorge

Conan257 – Member

Bacon cooks in around 2-3 minutes in a microwave..

It gets hot and soggy. It doesn’t cook.

belugabob
    Free Member

Quaker OatSo Simple – £0.69 per 100g
    Quaker Oats in a box – £0.20 per 100g
    Tesco Everyday Value Oats – £0.08 per 100g

So you’re paying 61p per 100g, so that you don’t have to measure a portion?

Another example of this lunacy is the little packs of raisins that people pack in lunchboxes for their kids…

Sunmaid Raisin Snacks 250G – £12.76 per Kg
    Tesco Californian Seedless Raisins 1Kg – £2.87 per Kg

All for the price of convenience – how the modern world has changed the way we behave!

epicyclo

Pot Noodles – dump the seasoning or only use 1/4 of it – add some extras eg a single serving tin of tuna and a single serving tin of 5 bean mix. Can vary with mushrooms etc. Maybe add a bit of seasoning of your choice, eg chili.

(Pot Noodles because you then can eat out of its container, no washing up)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Just add water’ is closed to new replies.