Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone had any success with a 69er setup?
  • giantjason
    Free Member

Presently i have a normal 26″ bike setup as rigid. Recently there have been lots of threads/people on here rave how good the 29er bikes are.

I dont want to go to the whole expense of getting a new 29er frame , wheels etc and was wondering if anyone had tried a 69er setup or is it a gimmick? I can use my existing fork (RC31) with a 29er wheel so will only have the expense of a new wheel and tyres.

i hope to get the front being more compliant by rolling over the smaller bumps and being a nicer ride. Is this achievable or rubbish?

Big-Pete
    Free Member

Inbred frame with 26″ carbon fork & 29 front wheel. Massive improvement on 26″ front wheel

giantjason
    Free Member

big pete – what specifically was the improvement? did the bike just flow better over the trails?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

One of my exes was a particularly successful 69er set-up.

Oh – you mean bikes? Well, that still sort of works…

mollski
    Free Member

BIGPETE awesome bike

firestarter
    Free Member

I had same set up as Pete . Inbred frame with rc31 forks it wasn’t bad but it felt a bit chopperish to me so I went for a 29er which I found much better.

Here it is

Bing
    Free Member

Big-Pete
    Free Member

Always felt too low/steep at the front very twitchy. The 29″ wheel lifts the front, slackens the head and improves the ride by smoothing out bumps. Perfect for me as I like the quick response of the 26″ rear.
    No problems with front wheel lifting on climbs, just feels bang right.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

stop sitting on the fence and get a bike with proper sized wheels 😉

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

It’s the worst of both worlds- the abysmal handling of a 29er combined with the slower climbing of a 26er.

svendink
    Free Member

Just built one up myself as a test before I go the whole hog (or not)and get a 29er frame. Mine is an Maxlight XC with rigid fork. I think you need to be careful with fork length to get it just right and still fit the wheel in. My fork measures 425mm A to C, which is pretty much spot on for a 100mm suspension corrected frame. I like the way the front end rolls over bumps better and seems to be more front end traction when cornering. Will be going full 29er when finances allow.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone had any success with a 69er setup?’ is closed to new replies.