Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Anyone got an inbuilt oven in an ikea kitchen?
  • ebygomm
    Free Member

I know Ikea cabinets don’t have a service gap behind but is there a gap between the oven and rear of the cabinet that is large enough to run the gas connection to the hob above in or is it best to sacrifice part of a neighbouring cabinet for that?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have one, the hob is fed by an 8mm pipe ~20cm below the worktop.

I could unscrew my oven and have a look. Can you post up some pics of your girlfriend? 😉

EDIT you want a measurement of the depth of the oven cabinet? Can get from Ikea website?

chickenman

ovens are usually 550mm deep and your units are 580mm; should be fine for a 15mm pipe.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I am the girlfriend 🙂

Gas connection is coming up from floor level so need enough room to bring pipe up and turn so correct orientation for hob.

I know there ‘should’ be enough room, was looking for “we did this and there’s loads of room” or “was a nightmare trying to get it to fit” type answers. I’m guessing the 580mm you’re talking about is the depth of the carcass as units are 600mm, which is measurement I was looking for cheers.

jamiep
    Free Member

I’ve Ikea carcasses. my pipe fits in the gap too

juanking

Slight highjack: What’s the general consensus of IKEA kitchens? Cabinets ok and get the workshop elsewhere? Cheers.

druidh
    Free Member

Not a problem. We have an built-under double oven and gas hob.

IKEA kitchens are pretty good actually. And they have some great solid wood worktops too.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Ikea kitchens got a good write up in Which last year. The complaints I have seen about them on forums mainly seem to be from tradesmen who don’t like the fact that they’re not what they’re used to.

We’re getting our worktops elsewhere but only because we need longer lengths than ikea supply, I think their solid wood ones are great value otherwise. If you’re getting worktops elsewhere you need to be aware that ikea units are deeper than standard.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Their worktops are brilliant – the quality is far better than the breakfast bar we got from Howdens to go with them.
    Plenty of room for connections, etc at the back.

willyboy
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted an ikea kitchen for a friend and i just modified the back panel of the oven carcass. The gas pipe came up from the floor -so i just split the back panel in two. There was loads of room for the pipe.

It seemed quite good quality for the money – esp the drawer runners. It was from the Faktum range and came flat packed – I think it only cost about £1200 all in (small terraced kitchen)

rickmeister

We have an Ikea kitchen, the carcases are fine, we have our own worktops, 1″ thick solid elm… Think they are fine as long as they go together well.

Will probably change the doors at some time but thats easy and the carcases will be fine still.

The price made a mockery of the £6k we were quoted by another kitchen company..

Stoner
    Free Member

I really like Ikea kitchens. Ive done both my current one, and the previous in the same Ikea style. I also use the same doors and tops for the utility and the bathroom vanity unit.

bedmaker

Ikea here too and we have a gas hob with the pipe up the back too.

Kitchen is as good as ones costing double except for –

the hob is nowhere near as nice to use as my old neff one

the draining board on the sink is more of a puddle board

DO NOT under ANY circumstances get this tap unless you want mild irritation on a daily basis

The carcasses and fronts and drawer mechs are very good though

petrieboy

Ikea units are 20mm deeper than “standard” so there’s plenty room behind the oven for making connections. Hob and sink units have a cutout in the base to bring services up from below plinth level but I’ve never bothered doing so. Just cut a notch out of the unit where the gas and other services currently run.

ebygomm
    Free Member

We’re getting hob, oven and taps elsewhere. We’ve had our gas connection moved and it’s new route runs along the wall below plinth level, just wasn’t sure about how it got from there to the connection point

tandemwarriors

Interesting reading.
    We’re in the process of planning the new kitchen as our house gets rebuilt after being gutted by a fire. We want a nice red Ikea kitchen, the builders & architect are not impressed. I gather they prefer someone like Howdens to supply built carcases, rather than assemble flatpacks themselves.
    The excellent Ikea 3d kitchen planner meant we’d designed and priced the kitchen 2 weeks before the professionals delivered their design (which was almost identical to ours) & quote. And Ikea works out £4k cheaper!

Bedmaker, whats the problem with that tap? We quite fancied that one!

Rob

Moda
    Free Member

Had 2 kitchens in my time, last one about 3 years back , look and construction of the doors are good but the carcasses leave a lot to be desired As the slightest bit of moisture was causing the melamine to peel off and also in places where you taking plates etc in and out it the melamine wore quickly if they have addressed that now they would be a good buy

chickenman

Ok, you definately won’t have a problem. You NEVER have a back panel behind an oven (it needs air to circulate).
    IKEA kitchens are good value, the fronts are attractive (unlike Howdens)and the staff fairly helpful(unlike B+Q).
    Fitters (like me) have a few gripes: The feet move off when you move the unitsn the flush backpanels are a PITA in old propeties where the walls bell-out at the bottom and cause no end of hassle with wallmounted services. I refuse to cut tapholes in their sinks; clients supply rubbish like that, let them do it! Wall unit fixing system is a nightmare in old properties where you may need several shots at getting a solid fixing. Appliances are average only, quality wise.

Stoner
    Free Member

tw – I have that tap in the utility room. Its a bit crap, the tap action (tilt and twist) on the valve is not particularly dexterous, also the spout is not particularly solid in the mount and is tall so theres a lot of leverage.

The tap I have in the kitchen on the other hand is excellent. I think it was even druidh that identified it for me 2 yrs ago when I put a pic up of it from a mates house (they didnt know where it came from).

unfortunately I cant find it on the ikea site…

ANd bollox to your architect, theyre good units.

crankboy
    Free Member

We have an Ikea kitchen a friend fitted it without any issues the wood work tops are lovely . The kitchen looks really high quality .

We also got bedmaker’s tap and find it a pain as per his explanation.

Even paying the friend a fair price for labour it worked out way cheaper than the alternatives .

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Other option is to block the units out from the wall, create your own service duct and have deeper work tops. Have done this on both the kitchens I’ve fitted – an extra 100mm of work surface is really useful and unlikely to be noticed on floor area. Also means more space in front of wall cupboards so less oppressive when working in front of them.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got an inbuilt oven in an ikea kitchen?’ is closed to new replies.