Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone got a Welsh Terrier?
  • franksinatra

Welshie’s are on our short list for family pet. We have an active young family. Anyone got experience of this breed and what is it like as a trail hound?

sam69
    Free Member

HAD A lakeland awesome dog great with kids ,now got a border

franksinatra

bumpety bumpety bump bump

Twin
    Free Member

Looked at getting one about a year ago, not great with kids apparently, so we got another Russel instead.

franksinatra

What age kids are you talking about? Our are 3, 5 and 7. Not seen anything so far to say there would be a problem.

Uphilldowndale
    Free Member

I have a Wire Fox Terrier myself and a chap we know has a Welsh and several Airedales. Our Wire Fox and the Welsh get on really well. But the Welsh is a little pest on the stripping table, you have about 20 minutes before she tries to escape, where as our Wire Fox will be good for up to an hour now. He says that they are know for being super stubborn.

Just bear in mind they are a Terrier, it’s like having a teenage child, some days you have communication, some days you’re wasting your time.

I would have one,(don’t tell my other half) but I’m a terrier man.

And good on you for looking for a rarer breed, don’t see many Welsh about.

Good luck.

beefheart
    Free Member

We have a plummer terrier- which is a jack russel crossed with a beagle thrown in.
    He is an amazing family/friendly/hunting/dog all thrown in.

flashy123
    Free Member

I have a 1 year old Welsh Terrier called ‘Bryan’. He loves the outdoors and runs real fast. He can go for hours and hours. I have done many 10 mile walks with him and he’s been great.

Welshies are very loyal dogs, a bit busy around people and interested in everything. They will sure keep you active but then chill in the evening, eventually!

Inbred456
    Free Member

In laws have one. Bit of a looper to be honest. Would’nt trust it with my kids. Mood swings, aggressive. Better breeds for kids out there in my opinion.

Duggan

We had one as a family pet when I was a kid. I loved him, but I have to say looking back he must have been the dog equivalent of schitzophrenic or something- utterly loving one minute, aggressive and moody as hell the next.

If you went near him when he was eating you were ****- snapping, snarling, aggressive. Have to say he never actually bit anybody but my dad has told me in later years he reckons that he wanted to but always just that bit too scared. God knows why my parents didn’t just get rid. Think he was a present actually, now I think of it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a Welsh Terrier?’ is closed to new replies.