Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Anyone got a VW Passat Diesel?
  • shooterman

My car failed its MOT on Saturday and I’m thinking about changing it.

I’ve seen a couple of reasonably priced VW Passats but was wondering what the fuel efficiency and reliability was like? Anyone got one?

Northwind

We had one, but a long time ago, you’d only be looking at one of its vintage if you’re at the bottom end of the market. In which case I’d say it was nice- not as big as it should have been inside, but well bolted together… Was eventually killed by water ingress destroying the electrics, which seemed to be a standard failing, so I’d say walk away from anything that seems damp.

The VW 1.9TD is a lovely engine though.

shooterman

Looking at 09 / 10 models.

fisha
    Free Member

I had a 2000 reg VW passat saloon. admittedly it was the 2.5 V6 tdi and not the 1.9 but all round it was a very good car. the V6’s mpg wasn’t the best, but I know the 1.9’s are good engines and much better economy.

I never thought that there was not enough space ( im 6ft ), rear seats had a lot of leg room and the boot was large too.

I found with 16″ alloys the ride was a bit drifty … but when I put 18″ alloys on, the handling improved considerably.

I’d get one again.

Cougar

I had a 1.9 till it met with a messy end. Other than a really bloody annoying electronic handbrake, it was great. I’d have one again.

The pre-facelift one was reasonably economical; the new EcoMotion things run on vapour and fairy dust.

molgrips
    Free Member

I love mine. It’s a 2006 so has the older noisier and less efficient engine, and mine’s auto, but I get 50-52mpg on average, up to 56 on a long run. Very comfortable, luxurious (for what it is) and relaxing on a long trip. Definitely a cruiser though – whilst it grips the road nicely the springs are quite soft so it rolls a bit if you try and push it hard.

I would go for a loaded Passat over a basic BMW any day of the week.

Just don’t get the TDI for pootling to the shops and back, as has been discussed ad infinitum on here.

shooterman

No pootling here. I have a 100 mile round trip commute each day.

I drive an E46 3 series at the moment and had enough last winter of being pulled out of ditches! No more rear wheel drive thanks!

molgrips
    Free Member

Winter tyres for your car will be far cheaper than a new one!

You will not (or should not) spin out with them on. Every possible advantage to having the right tyres, so if you can afford the initial outlay it’s a no brainer (cheaper in the long run).

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Mines a 51 plate 130 tdi. 211K on the clock & doing about 47 on mainly short runs. Just changed the rear discs & pads & needs a CV joint. No smoke & still goes well. Had the water ingress problem but fixed it before any damage was done.
    The rubber base of the arial is starting to perish though. 🙄

hsmith
    Free Member

got an 05 1.9 tdi estate highline ( the 130bhp) and on a 20mile commute in traffic it does aoprox 45mpg. cruising at 65-70 on motorway can get between 50&60 mpg. would defo recommend one

Jason
    Free Member

I have been driving a 59 plate Passat with the 140 diesel engine for just over a year. It is currently up to 40k miles, I have done about 30k of those. So far it hasn’t had any problems, well except a bad oil change by the local VW dealer which caused an oil leak…

MPG is around 50. A long motorway drive at 70mph will go well above this, faster driving will drop it down to nearer 40. In the summer we did a long trip to the South of France. The car was fully loaded with 2 adults, 2 kids, three bikes and a roof box, most of the way we were doing about 75mph and mpg was around 40, which wasn’t too bad considering the about of stuff stuck on the roof.

It is much less of a drivers car than a BMW. I had a 1 series before this, and the handling of the Passat is very different, however for lots of motorway miles, and carrying kids and bikes the Passat is ideal. Build quailty seems comparable to the BMW.

Mine is a Highline spec, which adds heated leather seats, cruise control and a few other nice extras. Surprisingly the only thing I find it lacking is climate control, it has A/C but you can’t just set it to one temperature and leave it – climate control has pretty much been standard in all the previous cars I have had.

orange16
    Free Member

Owned a 2003 tdi sport for 7 years, very reliable and fuel efficient. Just sold after 103k trouble free and cheap miles. Would recommend 100%. Also better than more modern version which apparently has a turbo issue?

note; The plenum in front of the windscreen fills with water and screws the electrics inside the car completely if the drain bung is not cleared(easy).

singletrackmind

1.9 tdi pd ’01 vintage .
    Up to 60 if driven like a granny , 55 easily achievable in summer . This drops to 50 in winter or driving above the signed speed limit.
    My bro just sold on his 3 year old Passat 140 estate for £7k , 30,000 miles . Nicely built cars although i think the pd is as real world fuel efficient as the newer engine .

matt_outandabout

X-reg 1.9tdi sport one a few years back, and now Touran 1.9tdi here.

Both not as reliable as you might think, both cost a chuffing fortune to fix, especially Passat. Passat had old, more powerful and better engine, and also got 50+mpg and rode a wave of torque to silly speeds, touran just about gets 50mpg if you are lucky and needs a good thrashing to overtake anything.

suthy
    Free Member

I’ve got a 10 plate Passat Highline TDI 170. 18 months old, 61k miles

Great car, pretty quick – not very good at corners but it wasn’t built for sporty driving.

Fuel economy is very good too with normal motorway about 48mpg and steady A road driving 55-60.

chickenman

Had an ’01 PD 130hp for 10 years, been great, only 2 issues: Firstly the ball joints on the suspension arms wear out every couple of years, and secondly, the flooded plenium chamber (you need to keep the drain holes clear, not easy since they are concealled beneath the battery and the servo)which in my case knackered the servo, meaning I drove around with the brakes slightly on for 5,000 miles and was getting water sucked into the engine via the vacuum pump and hose!
    Apart from that, a really solid, practical and fuel efficient car.

rj
    Free Member

I’ve got an 06 1.9 TDI. As has been mentioned, 50MPG is easily achievable on the motorway and it’s a nice enough cabin. However, I’ve spent £1500 getting various faults with the electronic handbrake fixed and if it does seize on you’ll need a tow truck as there’s no manual release.

molgrips
    Free Member

Interesting you had handbrake faults. As I was driving my (used) one away from the dealer the handbrake fault light came on, so I drove it back.. dealer gets in, no fault. It intermittently and always temporarily played up now and again for about the first 6 months, now it’s fine. I suspect that since it’s an auto the original owner never used it so it seized.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Up to 60 if driven like a granny

but I thought everyone that drove a passat drove like a granny – from what I’ve seen anyway…

I found with 16″ alloys the ride was a bit drifty .

most passats seem to stay in the middle lane of the mway so handling is probably not an issue…

molgrips
    Free Member

TurnerGuy is imagining stuff as always.

vegasdave
    Free Member

They’re nice motors and were on my list of possible new cars,but they have their problems,expensive to fix and not great to drive.

maxray
    Free Member

touran just about gets 50mpg if you are lucky and needs a good thrashing to overtake anything.

really? Ive got the 2.0tdi and it shifts pretty quick for the size of the vehicle. Surely 100cc doesnt make that much difference? actually theres prob an extra 35bhp over the 1.9tdi.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not as simple as 100 extra CC – the engine’s different and is tuned up and kitted out differently.

I test drove a 105bhp 1.9 Passat, and I’m no boy racer (my other car’s a 105bhp Prius) but it was really pretty flippin slow. The engine was ok in a lighter Golf but the heavier Passat was not so good. Glad I didn’t get it now since it would have been poor with a caravan.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a VW Passat Diesel?’ is closed to new replies.