Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Anyone got a new SC Nomad
  • dan45a
    Free Member

Anyone got a new SC nomad? Thinking of a changing my Enduro s works 26″ for one.

seen a thread on here how the Nomad does everything the Bronson does and more and like for sound of it.

Anyone tried a new Enduro and a Nomad? Just looking for experiences/differences… what is good or not good. Does it ride light?

What’s a reasonable Nomad build weight without crazy expensive carbon wheels?

My S works Enduro is by far the best bike I’ve owned looking for something worthy to replace it with. thanks.

jacksprogis
    Free Member

Yes, It’s very very good.
    Mines fairly pimp however it started basic.

Easily 29lbs with a fairly poverty spec I found.
    They seem to work better the more aggressive and faster you go.

It climbs very well for it’s size but you do get some front end lift if giving it the beans on the steeper bits. I raced DH on mine for a while and did just fine.

timbo678
    Free Member

I had a 2007 Enduro and now have a new Nomad – you can imagine they don’t really come close. The SC is amazing, light and fun!

It isn’t as good as the Bronson climbing but is better DH funnily enough, of course if I was fitter and lighter then climbing becomes easier etc etc! For proper mountain riding it is amazing, on local XC routes then keeping up with a 29er hardtail is a bit of a slog…no great surprise.

They seem to work better the more aggressive and faster you go.

This is bang on, the harder you push it at speed the more it rewards you – so, so, so much fun downhill!!

andysredmini
    Free Member

I have one and its by far the best bike I have ever ridden.
    Mine weighs 27lbs but has light bicycle carbon rims and raceface sixc carbon bars and cranks.

For me its was pretty much a no compromise dream build that I bought with compensation from being knocked of my bike by a car.

The only problem is that encourages me to do silly thinks and push myself and my riding. The bike just shrugs it off and feels like it has plenty more to give.
    And as you have probably read many times it is a very good climber. not just relative to its competition/category. Its a good climber full stop.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/smLQBP]AA NOMAD[/url] by andysredmini, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/skchZx]Untitled[/url] by andysredmini, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/tovv4d]Untitled[/url] by andysredmini, on Flickr

Rosss
    Free Member

^^ You’re certainly using yours more than most, Fair play that’s a big drop!

andysredmini
    Free Member

Thanks.
    I’m dying for someone to tell me I’m overbiked.

manitou
    Free Member

test rode a 5010 and a Bronson recently. .. Bronson burlier but too much bike for me. 5010 is a lovely bike though

generallevi
    Free Member

I have one.

Replaced my Evil Uprising after the rear triangle snapped. The Evil was hands down the best feeling bike I have ever owned, however ownership was like having a 1980’s Alfa Romeo.

The Nomad has hard a hard start in life with 2 weeks in Madeira, a UKGE and is now on it’s way back from EWS Samoens. The bike is well built, is confidence inspiring on jumps and drops and is a weapon when the trail gets really techy. However I have been blown away by how well it climbs. It climbs like no 160mm bike should be able get away with. 50km Peaks ride, 750m alpine climb whatever, it loves it!

The one downside is in steep switchbacks it can be a bit of a handful due to the longer wheelbase (Size Large), however the trade off is minimal compared to it’s behaviour everywhere else.

Get one and take advantage of Santa Cruz’s announcement of the new lifetime warranty.

Hope this helps a bit,

All the best,

Lee.

dan45a
    Free Member

Thanks all. Some lovely builds there. Also sounds like it climbs well enough which is important to me.

My Enduro is 28.3lbs so sounds like the nomad would build around that figure with my kit transferred.

Love the overbiked comment andysredmini!

andysredmini
    Free Member

You quickly learn on stw that there are only certain people who’s advice you take on board. There is a lot of hate for santacruz on here but I have experience completely the opposite out on the trail. No one in real life has told me I have bought an over priced piece of shit. I have lost count how many times people have stopped to talk to me about it.
    As someone said above there are barely any bad bikes out there nowadays and if you want to use your hard earned cash to buy an expensive one then go for it.
    Reding this is making me want to go and do some jumping on mine. Screw it I’m going out for a bit.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I have ridden one of last years 650b Enduro’s abeit not that much so don’t have a real opinion on it. Didn’t do anything I wouldn’t expect though.

I had/still have a Nomad, although my wife rides it now. The main reason I don’t ride it any more is it was a bit on the small side for me. I’d read about them being bigger than older SC’s, but it still wasn’t big enough – should have gone for an XL in hindsight.

It was a nice bike for the most part. Well put together, they arn’t cheap but there is certainly some of that cost in the well designed linkage hardware, all went together very nicely & is well made.

In answer to your question, it’s not a lively bike, nor does it ride light, it was a bit of a bombing monster truck I found but it certainly was fast.

Things I didn’t like – the Monarch+ shock. It was terrible, may be due to the somewhat funky suspension curve, but it really brought out the nastiness of that shock. If I was buying one new, i’d go straight for the Vivid Air, or sell the M+ and buy something else.

Doing it again, i’d stick a coil on it, or the new Float X2.

Weight wise, 29-30lbs with a sensible build, ~28 with a light one, 27/26 on some more optimistic scales 😉

skiboy
    Free Member

I’ve had mine around 4 months, can’t be bothered to post a pic cause haters may decend upon it

generallevi
    Free Member

Doing it again, i’d stick a coil on it, or the new Float X2.

So you say it doesn’t ride light but if you did it again you would put a coil on it????

I disagree totally on the Monarch Plus Debonair. I have both the Monarch & Vivid and find the Monarch really playful and the vivid is for Revs uplift days when you just want to smash through everything.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

So you say it doesn’t ride light but if you did it again you would put a coil on it????

Being light & riding light are very different things. I think the suspension curve would lend itself very nicely to a decent coil setup, granted it would be heavier, but the improvement in ride would negate that.

That said, chances of me doing it again are slim – for me personally, I think there are better bikes out there to chose from.

Different folks, different strokes & all that 🙂

dan45a
    Free Member

Thanks for the detailed feedback HobNob appreciate it.

Out of interest what are the better bikes, I’m open to suggestions 🙂

The type of riding I do….
    I live in south wales so have access to hills, regularly ride the natural off piste stuff between cwmcarn and afan, with the occasional trail center or uplift day. Usually head for an alps type riding holiday once a year. (Off the basqueMTB in sept cant wait)

I like my Enduro S works at 160mm travel hence considering the nomad when I update my bike. As mentioned open to other suggestions.

RickDraper
    Free Member

I have one, it’s a lovely bike and I have enjoyed riding it a lot. I went for a medium but wish I had gone for a large. I fitted a Push ElevenSix coil shock on it, that made the bike but that shock is a heavy old thing. Putting the monarch back in you really notice how much lighter up top the bike rides with the air shock in. If I did it agin I’d buy a Fox DHX2 with the lightweight fox spring on.

I’ve got a Mondraker Dune Carbon on order to replace it though, it’s a lot longer both in reach and wheelbase. I’m slightly nervous but if it does not work out I will just look to something else!

Rosss
    Free Member

Not to everyone’s taste but have you considered a YT Capra? I was heart set on a nomad but couldnt stretch to one so went for a Capra, I’ve only put circa 50 miles on it for far but it’s very well mannered at climbing and I have no complaints from it descending.

wrecker
    Free Member

for me personally, I think there are better bikes out there to chose from.

Come on Hob Nob – give us a clue!!!!!

sweaman2
    Free Member

If we’re going to suggest other bikes Ibis HD-3? I’ve ridden both and ended up with a HD-3. I would agree with the comment about the Nomad being a bombing monster. It felt very planted at speed and super solid through technical rooted sections and you could straightline almost anything. A number of my friends with 2 bikes have a Nomad for steep days and something else for more XC days.

In comparison the HD-3 is (I think) a slightly better climber and feels more lively to me on the corners and slightly less steep stuff – but one mans lively is another mans skittish…..

gardron
    Free Member

My 2c

So I’ve got a 5010 and a bronson, mate has a nomad. The bronson climbs noticeably better than the nomad and is a lot better at what I’d call normal speeds being a lot more composed. The BB is also a fair bit higher than on the nomad or the 5010 so less pedal strikes and a bit easier going through rock gardens. Where the nomad comes alive is pointed downhill doing a silly speed or big drop, but you do need to be gunning it to get the most out of it.
    I’d say the 5010 is a regular bike. It’s a scream to ride and is a great mix of everything but can get you in trouble with having a low BB and less travel. The bronson is a jack of all trades I’ll take pretty much anywhere and know it won’t be out it’s depth and I won’t be too overbiked, and the nomad is best on things like BPW or revolution but is hardly what you’d call an XC machine.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I have one and a good mate has an enduro 29er. His took weeks of setting up to get right and he has changed loads. I put a carbon bar on mine and nowt else. Easily 28lbs with 1×11 gearing. Nearly as fast as my anthem on most ups but front likes a wander on steep ups. Like others my fear is mine will kill me as i am flying stuff i minced over before. Ok it was a lot of cash but try for an ex demo. Also go large.. i am 5.10 and the medium was too cramped so large for me.

ferrousandy
    Free Member

It’s an insane bike! I have a Bronson, a Nomad and a GT Fury available to me, the most used of which used to be the Fury as I’m primarily a DH rider/racer. However since trying the Nomad the GT has been sold, the Nomad is a total monster downhill, you can tell from the incredible pedalling performance to the solid cornering and high speed stability that it’s more closely related to the V10 than the Bronson. However, point it uphill and its hilarious! A downhill bike that can really climb…. You can genuinely spend all day on it, I don’t bother with the uplift at the local DH, no need when the bike only weighs 28.5lbs. Yeah. I like it.

droppinneutron
    Free Member

There’s a brand new Nomad frame (Large, Blue) near me with £500 off retail cos it has a small scratch on it…

andysredmini
    Free Member

Every time you read comments about a nomad they all say how well it climbs. I don’t think anyone (including myself) actually believes its possible until they try one. I had a Giant trance before the nomad and the nomad is a lot faster uphill even with much bigger tyres on. I’m getting a rock razor to replace the hans dampf on the rear when bikeinn finally deliver it so it should be even faster still.
    I certainly have no problem keeping up with my friends on more xc orientated bikes.

caspian
    Free Member

The main reason I don’t ride it any more is it was a bit on the small side for me. I’d read about them being bigger than older SC’s, but it still wasn’t big enough – should have gone for an XL in hindsight.

Hob Nob – what height are you?

I went for a medium but wish I had gone for a large.

Rick Draper – same question, what’s your height?

i am 5.10 and the medium was too cramped so large for me.

Stevemuzzy thank you so much for mentioning both key bits of info in your post! Context is everything and all that.

I’m 6’2″ and wondering whether to go for one of the many Large-size Nomads that Granary Cycles seem to have in stock. No doubt they would tell me to go for a large.

Greatly appreciate any feedback and apologies as this has probably been done to death on Pinkbike.

RickDraper
    Free Member

I am 5’9.5″ with a 6′ wingspan.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I’m 5’11” with long arms and my large is perfect. I wouldn’t want any smaller.

caspian
    Free Member

Cheers all, sounds like 6’2″ = XL for sure. Shame as not so many used ones about. Will get saving.

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

I have one, it’s a lovely bike and I have enjoyed riding it a lot. I went for a medium but wish I had gone for a large. I fitted a Push ElevenSix coil shock on it, that made the bike but that shock is a heavy old thing. Putting the monarch back in you really notice how much lighter up top the bike rides with the air shock in. If I did it agin I’d buy a Fox DHX2 with the lightweight fox spring on.

I’ve got a Mondraker Dune Carbon on order to replace it though, it’s a lot longer both in reach and wheelbase. I’m slightly nervous but if it does not work out I will just look to something else!

Rick,

Would you mind elaborating more about the performance and your general experience with that PUSH shock?

Re Mondraker – what made you decide on this bike as an replacement for Nomad?

gaz552
    Free Member

I had been seriously thinking about getting a Nomad frame but, I think I’m actually going to go for a Transition Patrol instead. It’s meant to be a livier bike, obviously it weighs more but it’s also £1000 cheaper.
    A medium has about the same reach as a large Nomad, and I may even go for a large with a 35mm stem.
    Biggest issue, is the lack of available frames in the UK atm, and it’s going to be september before the 2016 batch of frames come in.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Would you mind elaborating more about the performance and your general experience with that PUSH shock?

Re Mondraker – what made you decide on this bike as an replacement for Nomad?

Mondraker is long, slack and low, far longer than the nomad and it’s something that interests me a lot. Plus with the lifetime warranty what’s not to like about them now.

The push shock is very very nice, it just gobbles everything up that you throw at it. From a performance point of view it’s far better on a nomad than the monarch. I had a cane creek dba cs on it before the push and that was a very good shock, not quite as nice as the push but a improvement on the monarch. There is no getting away from the fact that it’s pretty heavy though and it might be me but I’m sure the bike felt a fair bit lighter to ride with the monarch on.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a new SC Nomad’ is closed to new replies.