Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone got a bamboo bike here?
  • bratty

What they like?

(I shudder to think of any homebrew ones made by STW types after other threads involving bodging!)

compositepro
    Free Member

I have no idea but theres a guy in the UK that builds them, could forward his details

bratty

Cheers, it was more of a case of idle curiosity though.

warton
    Free Member

asking that on here is like asking if there’s any Catholics in the Vatican…

yunki
    Free Member
    JamesH
    Free Member

I was actually working for Bamboo Bikes (http://www.bamboobike.co/) until fairly recently. Amazing bikes really! I can put you through to a few different people, or can try my best to answer any questions on here

This was my bike:

Bamboo XC Bike by J_Hphotos, on Flickr

RustySpanner

Mate of ours just built his own with the Bamboo Bicycle Club.
    Linky.

Cost him about £400 for the frame.
    He was very impressed with the set up, the help he received and the facilities.

He’s happy with the results and is building it up with a Sturmey Archer 8 (I think) speed hub as a town bike.

He reckons the next one he does will be 100% neater, but he’s ended up with a functional frame of his own design that he built himself.

Can put you in touch with him if you like.

bratty

Help! I was just wondering what they were like and I’m being pressed ganged into building one!

Only joking – thanks for the info, but I was just wondering what they were like. They certainly seem interesting though, although I have always pictured myself as a beardy steel frame fabricator).

What do they weigh? How do they ride?

somafunk

There’s a guy that comes into our shop that built his own, it’s nice to ride and i’d have no worries bout’ using it.

kcr
    Free Member

Not mine; Bamboo, super glue and nylon tights:

http://skidmarksonthesemmits.blogspot.co.uk/

He’s got previous. Home made hill climb special, based on a garden clothes drier:

jay_tht
    Free Member

My wife has one had its first ride today.. I only been on it for a shake down ride once I built it up but only cyclepaths seems to rides nice need to give it a full beans ride in a week or so on local loop..

But Gayle said it was good fun..

compositepro
    Free Member

this was on bikerumour

Road To NAHBS 2013: Boo Bicycles

theres another guy called mark kelly who built an awesome bike out of wood from what i gather it was more to do with being better at vibration damping ..etc than carbon

bencooper
    Free Member

A Flying Gate made out of a clothes drier – brilliant!

neilm
    Free Member

Wouldn’t that make it a Flying Dryer?

I’m assuming the builders surname is Obree

kcr
    Free Member

Billy Minto. Link to his blog above.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

All the scaffolding in hong kong was bamboo when I visited recently, so must be strong.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a bamboo bike here?’ is closed to new replies.