• This topic has 21 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jimmy.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Anyone ever inexplicably in the zone?
  • sandwicheater

Last night’s ride home was a breeze. Couldn’t understand it, legs never got tired. Was only 15 miles (12 miles in, then 15 back) but still, didn’t get out of breath on any hills (700ft of climbing, not massive but always gets me puffing).

Was trying to work out why/how. I’ve only been riding in regularly for the last two months. Had eaten a massive meal the night before (nothing unusual there, it happens often). Only thing I could think of was a problem with a client at work had me worrying so my mind was elsewhere. Perhaps to pre-occupied to notice my legs?

You ever experienced something similar?

Thought I was just getting awesomez but the next day I was back to my usual tired self, drat!

jam-bo

tailwind.

sandwicheater

I’d not thought of that. It always seems to be up against me.

ico86

Yeah I get that and yes its usually a tailwind. I still love it though, natural EPO

sandwicheater

I think it’s the first time i’ve ever had a tail wind. Twas epic. More please, much much more.

rocketman
    Free Member

Yeah I used to get it from time to time but after working out why I get it most rides now in fact I feel disappointed if it doesn’t kick in

A highly addictive unstoppable feeling

jimjam
    Free Member

There’s a good long strava segment at a trail centre I like. It’s about 1:20 of downhill, then about 2 mins of pedally stuff. About two months ago I caned it and got a PB. I felt great, no fatigue. I was flying.

I can’t get within 15 seconds of it since.

dmorts

Also could have been the ambient temperature, keeping you just cool enough without the need for excessive sweating. That would mean you’d stay relatively hydrated

gatsby
    Free Member

Us testers call it a “float night”… Low pressure and perfect wind?

twixhunter
    Free Member

You most likley channeled the stress/anger/nervous energy into physical effort.

loddrik
    Free Member

I’m typing this from my bed, I would describe this as my zone, though please don’t mistake this as claims of sexual prowess…

jam-bo

About two months ago I caned it and got a PB. I felt great, no fatigue. I was flying.

I can’t get within 15 seconds of it since.

GPS error.

thepurist

Had similar on a ride to work back in the summer – I felt a bit weary when I set off so decided to just take it easy and not push it on any of the climbs, so I arrived feeling almost refreshed (18 mile commute). When I uploaded it I’d set PBs on tons of segments which I’ve not got close to since.

jimjam
    Free Member

jam bo

GPS error.

Nah, I knew I was flying at the time.

billytinkle
    Free Member

You’ll come down with a cold in the next day or so.

johnx2
    Free Member

tailwind

These are a myth and don’t exist. There are only headwinds and good days.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I get it from time to time, usually if I haven’t been on the bike for a week or two, it seems that the harder I push the pedals the faster I go (crazy I know) but without any resulting breathing or heartrate – witchcraft I tell thee!

It’s not nearly as good as ‘Phantom Gnar’ though – some days I’m just on fire, and my descent speed seems to double, like I’ve had an injection of pure confidence and grace for want of a better word – I glide from corner to corner hitting each one perfectly, each one giving me more confidence and the faster I go – it happens about once or twice a year if I’m lucky – I tell myself I’ll keep up the momentum for next time, but sure as eggs is eggs the next time out my bike turns to lead, the tyres to stone and the only thing that works is the brakes.

beardo74
    Free Member

What P-Jay said. Last week I was coming off 2 weeks rest and went for a gentle night ride to get back into it. My legs seemed invincible. I breezed past a group of chaps on a fire road climb near the end of the ride wandering why they were going so slowly, only to realise I was 2 or 3 gears higher than normal.

Unfortunately the rides in the following few days were all back to my normal granny ring climbing though – shame it doesn’t last!!

Still to experience “phantom gnar”. Maybe on haloween?

avdave2

A couple of weeks ago a cycled the 7 miles into town, ran my best Park Run time of 20:20 rode home felt great jumped on the new road bike and headed out pushing it as hard as I could feeling like the new bike must have a concealed motor and then 40 miles into that ride and with 20 to go my body suddenly remembered it was 50 and the final 20 miles home was rather unpleasant whenever the road went even slightly uphill.

perchypanther
    Free Member

The real danger with unexpectedly being in the zone is that you may decide to head home but, pumped with this new found prowess, talk yourself into…. “just one more loop”. 😯

You will then absolutely crash and sustain a debilitating injury. 😳 😥

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Yes, it’s a magical feeling.

Invisible unicorn poo on the trail combined with optimum ground temperature, ale residue, certain autumn scents (specifically ivy-spunk) and peak tyre choice/wear will do it.

jimmy

*nods head knowingly*

Those are the good days I keep riding for.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ever inexplicably in the zone?’ is closed to new replies.