Please can someone review the Trangia Mini?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Please can someone review the Trangia Mini?
  • mildred

Looking for basic, robust, foolproof stove for bivvy trips with my young son.

He’s 7 and desperate to have an “adventure”. I’m looking at a bit of wild camping/bivvying but most of my kit is more car camping style – Coleman multi fuel stove etc.

How do people rate the little Trangia? Fannying around with one in the shop it seemed spot on; stable, robust etc. whereas the gas stoves all seemed a bit unstable. What are lighter alternatives?

rwamartin

I’ve got a Mini Trangia. It’s good but needs a windshield. A breeze makes it flare quite badly and reduces the performance quite significantly.

We’ve also used a trangia burner with a Honey Stove and a Zebra pot (12cm I think). The pot is big enough to get a couple of army ration packs in.

Honey stove is excellent. Again, needs a windshield but you can burn wood with it.

Anyway, is the mini trangia worth it? Yes.

Hope this helps.

Rich.

Premier Icon cynic-al
    Subscriber

Used one for years, worked for me, I don’t doubt there are benefits to gas ones but I’m not in a hurry when camping.

mikey3

I used one for a months bike touring in france in may/june and it did me proud ,but as above you really need a windshield.

joshvegas

They’re okay but for adventure bonus points get a hive stove and a trangia burner that fits it perfectly to form thd stand and wind sheild.

That way you can make wood fire and micro bbq too 🙂

My favourite bit of kit along with a Kelly Kettle. Not perfect but has never let me down and I like not having to cart and recycle cartridges. Have used a Trangia Mini for a good 14 years, replaced the burner once after about 10 yrs.

It’s well-designed with the saucepan also being the carry-case, the non-stick frying pan becoming the lid, the handle becoming a spring to keep everything from rattling when packed up. I use an alloy fuel flask for spirits.

The baffle/flame control is the only fiddly thing and it takes a bit of skill to get the flame how you like, but let’s face it it’s mostly for boiling things, heating things and frying bacon or eggs – not for organising and cooking anything complicated.

I also bought the mini Trangia kettle to use on it. That too is great, but I forgot to leave the handle up once and melted the black coating on it.

In short I’ve found the set to be reliable, well-designed and durable as long as my cooking expectations aren’t above its abilities.

*Edit – +1 for a windshield if on open terrain, though I normally rig something with rocks or whatever.

ontor

Great little bit of kit!

kcr

I used one on a 3 month cycling tour. As above, reliable, effective and easy to use.
    Investigated something bigger for family camping this year and ended up with Trangia again!

Premier Icon allfankledup
    Subscriber

Have used trangia 27s for years. Not tried a mini, but worth a look

TheBrick

Make a penny stove with him. Pleanty of desings on Zen stoves.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Please can someone review the Trangia Mini?’ is closed to new replies.