Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Anyone ever experienced a Sonic Boom.
  • SonicBoomBoy
    Free Member

Any one ever experienced a Sonic Boom? My Friend did last night.

davidrussell
    Free Member

there are so many opportunities for innuendo here I dont know where to start.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Hell yeah.

Guile, Streetfighter 2, 1994, My god those were some heady days.

Jamie
    Free Member

All the time.

Edit: I like the cut of your jib Torminalis.

woody2000

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LggWubi51Dw[/video]

B_Leach
    Free Member

With a whip crack being one, i reckon plenty on here have…(fnar fnar)

RealMan
    Free Member

With a whip crack being one, i reckon plenty on here have…(fnar fnar)

Is that a science and sex joke? I like.

SonicBoomBoy
    Free Member

davidrussell

there are so many opportunities for innuendo here I dont know where to start.

What do you mean like, dashboard light on window half down etc???

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I nearly did at RAF Leuchars a long time ago. A French F1 Mirage went past at (according to the commentator) ‘1 knot under the speed of sound’
    (Waits for clever comments about air pressure at sea level on that particular day….)

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I’ve had 5.56 rounds zipping overhead, couldn’t hear the actual firing, just the crack as they break the sound barrier. Very loud even with ear defenders on.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Waits for clever comments about air pressure at sea level on that particular day….

African or European?

IdleJon

There regularly used to be strange booms over Swansea. They were a puzzle for a while until somebody realised that they always happened at the same time and that coincided with Concorde getting out over open water…….

MrsToast
    Free Member

Guile, Streetfighter 2, 1994, My god those were some heady days.

Aye, Guile was the only character that had a 28 hit re-dizzy combo. Happy, happy days!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I recently saw Kiss on their ‘Sonic Boom over Europe’ tour so, technically, yes. 🙂

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Sonic Boom Boy – Member
    Any one ever experienced a Sonic Boom? My Friend did last night.

edit..sonic bumhole more like, I was riding down some steps quick and some ‘tard thought it would be good to go flying past dangerously just to stop at a gate 60 metres away, he thought that was a sonic boom. 😳

Come back when you can dish these booms out on the flat or on climbs, your boom was not as loud as mine round Healy Nabb, couldn’t see you front light your where so far behind. Poor show in all last night from you SBB, must try harder. 😥 😥 😥

beamers

Which Urban Dictionary definition of Sonic Boom are refering to?

simonralli2
    Free Member

I was in Concorde just the once and didn’t hear a thing!!!! No idea why!

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

simonralli2 – Member
    I was in Concorde just the once and didn’t hear a thing!!!! No idea why!

Thats because it’s parked at Manchester Airport veiwing centre. 🙄

Pook

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT5AQIlmM0I[/video]

simonralli2
    Free Member

Nah – this was when it was booked for what was a now legendary party hosted by Motorola for 200 mobile phone industry executives, including myself. I wont go into what happened, but they flew us by Concorde to Paris for one heck of a party.

nickc

Aye, Guile was the only character that had a 28 hit re-dizzy combo. Happy, happy days!

I don’t even know what this means and yet strangely, I’m still impressed

scaredypants

I’ve had 5.56 rounds zipping overhead, couldn’t hear the actual firing, just the crack as they break the sound barrier

Now I’m not having a go but aren’t they going ded fast right from leaving the muzzle ? (surely there’s only a boom when they go past the speed of sound – isn’t there ?)

(have heard it said that bullets “crack” but I can’t see that this is why)

armchair physics deathmatch anyone ?

RealMan
    Free Member

Now I’m not having a go but aren’t they going ded fast right from leaving the muzzle ? (surely there’s only a boom when they go past the speed of sound – isn’t there ?)

Yeah I’m not quite sure on gun mechanics, but I’d assume they the bullet is accelerated in the barrel, then as it leaves the barrel it is at its maximum velocity. From then on it will only slow down.

TooTall
    Free Member

The BANG of the initial explosion to launch the round from the barrel will probably be louder than the sonic boom.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

The bullet leaves the barrel at well over the speed of sound so even at 1000 yeards its still supersonic.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Guile’s theme goes with everything… http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/guiles-theme-goes-with-everything

scaredypants

“The bullet leaves the barrel at well over the speed of sound so even at 1000 yeards its still supersonic.”
    yeh, but it doesn’t keep booming does it – just when it accelerates through “the barrier” – or is that wrong ?

goon
    Free Member

That’s wrong! :O) A sonic boom is trailed continuously behind the supersonic object.

From Wiki:

Since the boom is being generated continually as long as the aircraft is supersonic, it fills out a narrow path on the ground following the aircraft’s flight path….

allthegear
    Free Member

Well, the Space Shuttle creates a sonic boom as is makes its way across the US as it slows down to landing on the East Coast. As I understand it (which isn’t much) the boom is the noise of the shockwave the supoersonic object makes as it passes – it spreads out behind the object, like the ripples on a pond if you rode a boat across it.

scaredypants

That’s wrong! :O)

😳

stumpy01

Sonic boom is ‘dragged’ along by whatever it is that is flying supersonically. You hear it as a discrete sound as the object passes you.

chiefgrooveguru

You wouldn’t hear the sonic boom in Concorde as you’re moving too fast for the sound of it to catch up.

Having had many 7.62 rounds fly over my head I can confirm that you hear the ‘crack’ as they go past, presumably that’s the sonic boom they’re trailing. Sounds totally different to the muzzle bang, which you can separate out if you know what a shotgun sounds like.

JAG

I heard the Concorde sonic boom back in the 80’s.

I used to work the Summer on a farm on Exmoor when I was a kid. We used to see and hear Concorde as it went down the Bristol channel at supersonic speed. Just used to hear a noise like a distant shotgun firing, sometimes you’d get two in quick succesion. I always loved to see it :o)

julianwilson
    Free Member

Used to hear Concorde same time every night in Devon too. Quite a boom to be heard from Bristol Channel but then quite an aircraft i suppose.

mikey3
    Free Member

I remember hearing the concorde boom over port talbot all the time when i was a kid ,funny the things that stick in your mind eh!

swamp_boy

Back when I lived in Somerset we used to hear Concorde ones fairly regularly. Until seeing this thread it hadn’t occurred to me that I haven’t heard one in a long time – apart from bullets going overhead.

aracer
    Free Member

they flew us by Concorde to Paris

I’d hazard a guess that it wasn’t worth going supersonic for only a couple of minutes of the flight!

backhander
    Free Member

Having had many 7.62 rounds fly over my head I can confirm that you hear the ‘crack’ as they go past

I have also had the “pleasure” of this experience (and 5.56) and can confirm. It’s a high pitched crack sound sometimes followed by the dull thud of impact. The closer together they are, the less happy I am.

skiboy
    Free Member

nim

When I was staying in the north of Israel in ’94, 2 fighter jets (can’t recall if they were F15 or F16) would fly overhead daily and would hear the sonic boom from both. Became such a norm that eventually didn’t even bother to look up.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ever experienced a Sonic Boom.’ is closed to new replies.