Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Anyone else's wife not fill up the car?
  • Pook

“Will my car get across town with the petrol in it?” she asks.

“How much?”

“just above empty”*

I’ve now got to go and fill it instead of sitting down with a beer and watching Better Call Saul.

She’s just driven past a petrol station coming home

*wrapping around the pin.

zippykona

Mine wouldn’t even know how to.

andyl
    Free Member

Buy a Tesla, then you just need to plug it in while you sit and watch the TV 😉

Sandwich

Pook that would be a blue job. Just designate a couple of pink jobs that you don’t do and it’s all gravy.

santacoops
    Free Member

+1 here, mine seems to drive around in 2nd everywhere… Looking at how much she uses

bear-uk
    Free Member

Mine gets filled up with Shopping.

RustySpanner

Best not.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My Mrs knows how to, she just doesn’t know (or even care a jot) how much it costs. If she needed fuel & it was shown at £25 a litre, she’d still fill up. Dozy mare. (but I love her)

bruneep

yes, to be fair she did try once at the pay at pump. Nozzle in and “click” came home complaining that fuel gauge is broken. £0.34 of fuel added according to bank statement.

Scapegoat

I used to think my wife never had any water in the washer bottle either. It turns out she would suggest going in her car for various spurious reasons, and in always found the washer fluid low, so would top it up before we got home.

It eventually dawned on me that she was letting me drive her car knowing it needed topping up, and that way she never had to do it.

Similarly my son always offers to take me shooting in his car when the tank is nearing empty and he’s spent all his hard earned that week. “No Dad, it’s so you can have a couple of pints afterwards, honest.” Is wearing g a bit thin. I’ve taken to putting in a tenner for him to see his little disappointed face. 😈

perchypanther
    Free Member

My wife doesn’t fill up the car.
    To be fair, she’s quite small and it’s a big car.

thegreatape
    Free Member

We’ve got one diesel car and one petrol car, so I make sure that neither of them ever go below 1/3.

loddrik
    Free Member

Other than when she goes away I’m not sure my wife has ever put petrol in her car. Just another one of ‘my’ jobs…

footflaps

I never fill up the car, mainly as it’s the wife’s company car and she has the fuel card…..

zanelad
    Free Member

I don’t think Mrs Z knows wheree the fuel gauge is, let alone look at it from time to time. There was a time she’d pay for the petrol she uses but I cannot recall the last time she put her hand in her pocket.

As she gets a mileage allowance for work, it annoys me the she’s paid for the fuel she uses but I pay to fill the car.

I’m tempted not to fill it up and let her run out of fuel…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

“My car is making a funny grinding noise”

Open bonnet, pull dipstick out, nothing, not even a dribble.

So that’s 2l of synthetic to get it to the end of the week, another gallon + filter and hope that no lasting damage has been done.

FFS. It’s not even the first time, she’s run it dry before doing a lot of miles and never checks it. The first time I explained to her that she should check it sometimes before/after a busy week or long journey, the second time I got irritated, third I got angry, this time I just signed and said we can’t afford a new car so if it’s **** she had better get used to walking.

PJM1974
    Free Member

We had our new car nine months before my missus filled it up for the first time.

She’s very, very bright and being married to a farmer in a former life meant that she has mechanical sympathy – but she can’t be arsed to put diesel in, check the oil, or fill the tyres with air even though she uses the car during the week and I don’t.

I would suggest I borrow the rolling pin, but she’s been known to post on here so I’ll be rumbled any minute.

Superficial
    Free Member

Wow. I mean I get mildly irritated about small things thAt my wife does when driving (and her inability to explain internal combustion), but at least she’s capable of doing a simple everyday task. Maybe I should cut her some slack!

bruk

My wife rarely fills it up either, even though we have fuel cards and it doesn’t come out of her pocket. Usually it’s a ‘will you take my car today’ the inference being fill it up too!

That and the windscreen washer bottle, oh and the service light as well.

dantsw13

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vupgBykQnko[/video]

There is a reason……

Northwind

I have no wife, but, when my dad stopped driving my mum had to confess that she’d never filled up the car once, since they got their first car about 40 years ago 😆

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I don’t think mine would be able to. She’s Irish and the stations have filler-upper people who do it for you. She’s never driven in the UK and in Asia, there are people who fill it as well.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Washer bottle. Every. Damn. Time.

To be fair she fills the diesel more regularly than I do, I seem to always end up brass necking it, I managed to put 70.33l into the 70l tank the other day!

I don’t think mine would be able to. She’s Irish

Racist! 😉

weeksy

Weirdest thread I’ve seen in ages…

Harry_the_Spider

Not once in 7 years of car ownership.

swavis

I think she finds as much difficulty filling up as I do, none. Agree with weeksy, weird…

boblo
    Free Member

Mine’s alright. She’ll fill hers or mine and even took mine for an Albanian valet the other day 🙂 I do everything else car wise though which is fair as she does a lot of the household stuff.

Harry_the_Spider

Albanian valet

The stick is for getting the dead wasps out from the bit where the windscreen meets the dash.

MoreCashThanDash

her inability to explain internal combustion

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow?

Mine struggles with the cap on one of the cars. But she is disabled, so I cut her some slack.

MikeG

Just had a text informing me the fuel light has come on in her car, I’ll be filling it up tonight 😆

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Mine never fills my car, but she does fill her own…

I was expecting more pictures of wives filling cars :

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Wow. I mean I get mildly irritated about small things thAt my wife does when driving (and her inability to explain internal combustion), but at least she’s capable of doing a simple everyday task. Maybe I should cut her some slack!

This^

bombjack
    Free Member

My wifes favourite is giving me the car with the “refuel now” sign on the dash. “its ok, there was 20 miles left before I popped down to waitrose and took the kids out…”
    That and waiting till just before bed on a Sunday to tell me the car is low on gas, and that shes run out of money – Could I go and fill it up for her, she’ll pay me back on payday.
    Never happens.

bedmaker

I’m happy to do all the car stuff in our household (although my wife fills with fuel if need be) if it means I never touch an iron 🙂

Cougar

Not being arsed / wanting to pay I get, but are you seriously telling me there are people who are actually incapable of putting fuel in a vehicle? And these people are driving round on our public roads? Are you’re marrying them?

Jesus wept, I despair. Top tip, next time it needs fuelling, take her with you, show her how to do it, and then never ever do it again.

yeager2004
    Free Member

Mine will put fuel in but is completely unaware of anything else mechanically

– Oil light came on. Not only the light but also a buzzing warning sound. Did she pull over? Did she hell – just drove home. Thank God it was just a duff sensor, but how far do manufacturers need to go to stop people from potentially wrecking their cars?

– Washer bottle light came on. This time she did take action (can’t remember if this was before or after the oil warning light incident). She just happened to be passing the local garage so stopped by. The guy there topped the washer bottle up (no charge as he recognised her) but was duly tipped a fiver!

– I drive her car for the first time in a while and notice something amiss, like engine management light on. “oh yeah, that’s been on for ages”

Cougar

Years back, my then-girlfriend drove an old-style Mini. It was a shed of a thing, had several eggs in the coolant to stop the radiator leaking.

Driving to mine one day the fan belt snapped, little red light comes on on the dash. She thinks “I wonder what that is?” and carts on.

A little while later the cooling system exploded, at which point she rings me. Took me about a minute to jury-rig a temporary fan belt, and half an hour to chisel congealed scrambled egg off the windscreen.

rocketman
    Free Member

mrs rocket has been driving longer me and has no problem refuelling

My speciality is to let it run biblically low as in 0 MILES and the needle beyond the red before refuelling

hooli

If she doesn’t fill her car up it will run out and she will need to call the AA, I am just giving women equal rights and all that 😉

mintimperial

My wife has a license but refuses point blank to drive anywhere at all after a bad experience about ten years ago. Sometimes I find that slightly annoying* but this thread has cheered me up somewhat.

* Understatement.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else's wife not fill up the car?’ is closed to new replies.