• This topic has 15 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by ski.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone else scavenge at the local dump?
  • Gunz
    Free Member

I’m constantly amazed by what people throw away. In the last month I’ve had 3 x Tiffany style lamps (£5), a pair of 1973 Linden Wharfedale speakers (£5), a Chimenera (free) and a Ryobi petrol strimmer that only needed the fuel filter cleaned out (free).
    Anyone else had a good foraging result.

rootes1

there is a difference between scavanging for free direct from bins (which at HWRC is very hard these days) and buying from a dedicated re-use/resale areas are HWRC….

soma_rich
    Free Member

My local skip never has anything. I keep checking for a old bikes but so far nothing. Is there a best time/day to go?

Could really do with a strimmer too!

Gunz
    Free Member

It’s all still pretty cheap though, and I just wait until their backs are turned or have a quiet word and chuck them a fiver. It’s becoming an obsession, maybe I’m just a tramp.

MrSparkle

The local one to us won’t let you take anything away. WTF is that all about??

chickadee
    Free Member

YES! Wicker chair – smelt of cat pee but was OK after a good scrub; bevelled mirror x2; bike racks x 2. Also hauled 2 solid pine doors with glass panels out of a skip (with owner’s permission). Sat pm/Sun midday seems to be a good time round here…

wwaswas

The local one to us won’t let you take anything away.

Councils tend sell the rights to ‘plunder’ now so won;t let everyone pick over the stuff.

There’s a YMCA shop at my local one that gets the good stuff to sell on.

chvck
    Free Member

They won’t let me in without a license because I drive a pickup, piss take I tell thee

j_me
    Free Member

Anything I think is reusable is offered on freegle before being consigned to the dump.

carbon337
    Free Member

I spoke to someone who manages one of these sites about this and he said the one he is at wont let people take stuff away in case they injure themselves on say a faulty electronic item etc.

The worlds gone mad eh

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Mate got the old front desk out of the skip when they where re-doing the post office.

Paid the lads £20 to take it to the local antiques place where they strip the paint off it… and he was offered £10k for it..

Turns out it was made of solid oak.. 8)

OCB
    Free Member

I get a fair bit of my firewood from the tip, but (driving a LR) generally have to have the commercial vehicle vs domestic vehicle conversation …

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve had a lovely old grundig radiogram in a solid oak case that made a nice sideboard.. and only last week I picked up a pair of pretty much brand spanking new smooth straight and true wheels to replace the shonky old wobbly crunchy things on the pub bike.. for £3.. ace Our bookcase was from the tip too.. a solid wood relic from an ancient library

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I found the windows and slates for this in an Edinburgh New Town skip

I found the glass for this flytipped on a verge.

ski
    Free Member

Ask is the best option, most of the workers dont mind as long as you ask and they can turn a blind eye. I have had a decent bmx bike for my kids, a old Raleigh road bike which is still going strong 5 years latter . The maddest thing you see is working CRT tv’s being dumped 3 high!

ski
    Free Member

Btw mcmoonter that looks amazing!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else scavenge at the local dump?’ is closed to new replies.