Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Anyone else received this email?
  • alpin
    Free Member

i say we all shave our heads, listen to ska and go kick some ‘****’

[faecituos smiley]….!!

but it does say non-believers. so those that believe what is written in books over 1000yrs old should be ok.

its us atheists that believe in books generally considerably younger than that that are done for…..

oh well.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Ooh, you’re coming from a much more architectural engineering point of view than me! I confess I’m not the expert you are!

I just love the way that a tube journey can be a trip through history; from proper old Victorian stuff (the brick cavern of Baker St is amazing), through yer Art Deco stuff like Arnos Grove and Southgate, and yer more Brutalist stuff like your examples, to the brand new, like Canary Wharf, some of the new Jubilee Line stuff, and the DLR.

I like some of the little ones on the District Line; places like Ravenscourt Park, Chiswick, Puntney Bridge and the cavernous Earl’s Court.

And it’s fascinating to see how the different lines have their own style, as they were built at different times, by different architects. The Metropolitan line has a distinct look, which is separate from the District Line, for example.

And of course, shame on me, for forgetting the East London Line; one of the oldest subterranean railway lines in the World, boasting the World’s oldest sub-aquatic rail tunnel!

Fascinating bit of Wiki about the Thames Tunnel.

zaskar
    Free Member

I’m so glad I’m an athiest.

I don’t need propaganda to know Islam or any other religion-look at history lol…

Funny how the same people post the same trollup and claim not to be a racist.

Thing is-Intolerance is a problem-that includes Islam followers who are racist to anyone else.

Also half the people on this forum couldn’t tell the difference bewteen muslims or any other religion Asian.

At work people were sitting at lunch talking about this turban wearing Muslim guy-I pointed out he was Sikh with replies wassat-from degree educated people…I needn’t say anymore.

Tyger-whatever your purpose, people are thick and believe anything without constructive critism and causes fear and hatred.

But I think its good he posted as it shows that people don’t beleive the email and also prepare for these things that people are scared to discuss.

Sharee law and racism is disgusting but only as we’re not delusional.

Nice pics.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Rudeboy – I think you would have to go a long way to see better thant he moscow underground stations

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Sharee law and racism is disgusting but only as we’re not delusional.

Cheeze… at least spel it rite…

No, you’re right, TJ. That is truly something. Bet it costs a bloody bomb to maintain, though!

Some of the central London stations, such as Covent Garden, Leicester square and Piccadilly are impressive, for the amount of old brickwork, glazed tiles and brass fittings. I’m glad they keep the character of these stations alive; it’s like a living museum.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I love that victorian tilework.

Moscow underground is amazing – the stations are like temples

zaskar
    Free Member

RudeBoy -Sharee law is slang in India, it’s used by Hindus to take the pi$$!

Besides if I quoted incorrect grammer or spelling from yourself I’d be here all day.

Unless the forum is going to use correct grammer and paragraphs then I don’t really care about spilling a foo wurds.

Besides I should be working lol…

aP
    Free Member

Covent Garden is a Leslie Green station – designed so that in the future somthing could be built over the top of it. there’s some seriously big iron stantions in those stations – although some like Gloucester Road never had the “air rights” building constructed.
    TJ – I’m afraid that quite a lot of the tiling is actually rather more recent than you might think. More like Elisabethan than Victorian I’m afraid.
    The Northern Line extension stations in south london use very nice Vitreous Enamel tiles rather than ceramic ones, ie Clapham South, Tooting Broadway, etc

RudeBoy
    Free Member

(Bows down to the Great Ap’s vastly superior knowledge of the architecture of London’s Tube)

Zaskar- sorry, I’m no longer inertested! We’re talking about Tube stations now. What’s your favourite?

Bethnal Green is historically significant, as it’s where 173 peopledied following a panic to get into the station, during WW2. The tragic events were caused not by a German air-raid, but the noise from nearby Victoria Park, where the army were testing some guns.

The crush at Bethnal Green is the largest loss of civilian life in the UK in World War II and the largest loss of life in a single incident on the London Underground network.

Some nice tiles down below. And there’s a lot of older Underground styles; lots of original lettering and signage, and use of fonts. The ticket counters are the lovely old brass ones, original, I think.

A fave of mine, as it’s near my old nursery, so I remember it from a very early age.

nickc

173 dying in a tube station!! That’s horrific!! Never knew about that. Can you imagine that now?

Just read the wiki link, quite extraordinary piece of history, thanks for that Rudeboy.

robdob
    Free Member

Try reading the Koran to get a better picture of what Muslims beleive and make your own mind up.

I did.

aP
    Free Member

Take a look at what’s underneath Clapham South tube……

RudeBoy
    Free Member

You’re welcome, nickc! Always good to learn stuff. Like I’ve been doing, from aP’s posts!

In fact, I think I’m in love with aP, and want his babies..

What is that thing, btw? Got a link to it? The pic links to an inertesting site, though, thanks.

zaskar
    Free Member

Zaskar- sorry, I’m no longer inertested! We’re talking about Tube stations now. What’s your favourite?

Wynyard?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Eh? What **** line is that on???

Not the Central Line is it? They like to reduntatify stations…

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else received this email?’ is closed to new replies.