Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Anyone else get the dreaded letter this morning…?
  • DezB
    Free Member

..from TOYOTA?

Wife's Yaris has been recalled.
    She's still running round in circles screaming.
    I have offered to drive her everywhere but she fears for the children.
    I also read her the bit that says there have been ZERO problems with cars in the whole of Europe.
    What else can I do to calm her fears?

monotokpoint
    Free Member

Plant a tree?

guido

have offered to drive her everywhere but she fears for the children.

are you that bad a driver?

mboy
    Free Member

She's still running round in circles screaming.

Surely it has run out of petrol by now?

😉

Perfect time to buy a Toyota I'd say, given all the bad press and the fact it will have devalued them so much on the 2nd hand market, yet Toyota are fixing all the problems for free!

DezB
    Free Member

yet Toyota are fixing all the problems for free

Problems!? There are problems??

bigyinn
    Free Member

Clap her round the back of the head with a cricket bat will quieten her for a bit.

allthepies
    Free Member

"Won't someone please think of the children"

etc.

uplink
    Free Member

Mines a lease Avensis so I suspect the letter will eventually get to me

MidLifeCyclist
    Free Member

bigyinn – Member

Clap her round the back of the head with a cricket bat will quieten her for a bit.

BUT not too hard – don't want to damage the bat

IanMunro
    Free Member

This reminds me. I must do something about the Fiat recall letter I got last year saying my car could spontaneously catch fire 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Ian, Have you looked out the window today..?

mudshark
    Free Member

Just drive everywhere at 5mph so can jump out when needed.

iDave
    Free Member

I had a dreaded letter this morning. my water may be discoloured and malodorous for a week. how severn trent know i've been drinking bushmills i'll never know.

cp

dreaded letter??! **** media bollocks.

DezB
    Free Member

Dunno what you mean, cp

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bloody wimmin. Tell her to drive it and stop moaning. It's a car FFS!

atlaz
    Free Member

Just drive everywhere at 5mph so can jump out when needed.

I think that's the problem. He'd LIKE to drive at 5mph but the car wants to go FAST! Or that could just be media scaremongering. One of the two.

Surely if your throttle is stuck, you turn the ignition off and make do without the servo assisted brakes and power steering until it stops? Or is dying in a fireball preferable? Obviously unless you have a card operated ignition, in which case, you're screwed.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Tell her to get a grip as it isn't even a safety recall, it's a driver environment/feedback recall – it doesn't cause any problems, or fix any problems other than peoples perception that the brakes don't work. It's like recalling red cars because of "police snooker".

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Me mam has…

Dibbs
    Free Member

We had our letter yesterday, not that fussed really, they'll let us know when they're ready to actually do the work. They where saying on the radio yesterday that there's an average of 3 car recalls a week, its just that the media have jumped on this one.

jahwomble
    Free Member

"She's still running round in circles screaming."

Better than driving around in circles with a stuck pedal screaming 🙂

jimmy

Sorry, I'd love to contribute to this thread but I'm just driving my new Prius and can't stop now.

njee20
    Free Member

Obviously unless you have a card operated ignition, in which case, you're screwed.

Unless you just dip the clutch and take it out of gear… yes it'll rev its nuts off, but so what!

hora
    Free Member

We should be more concerned that there are Toyota drivers out there (cyclists/pedestrains etc) – that could have a serious accident if a sticking throttle means a panicked driver mounts a pavement etc.

Someone owning a Toyota shouldnt DRIVE IT IF THEY ARE CONCERNED.

DezB
    Free Member

hora… do I look concerned?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Unless you just dip the clutch and take it out of gear

Unless it's an auto…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I never liked th econcept of an automatic. How, if a driver is incapable of coordinating 3 pedals, a wheel and 2 levers and getting arround a driving test route is it deemed acceptable for them to miss out 1 pedal and a lever. If the other controlls take up so much of their concentration , what happens when something goes on in front of them?

Brother_Will
    Free Member

It all stems from an accelerator mat interference issue, simply removing the mat will guarantee no issues until the work is carried out.

Everything you need to know.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sorry, I'd love to contribute to this thread but I'm just driving my new Prius and can't stop now.

Everyone seems to have missed this witty little line….!

Very, very good mate! LOL!

ivantate
    Free Member

My fiat is going to catch fire too.

How stiff must the toyota pedal get before it sticks? do people really not notice that the pedal isnt returning very well and they have 1 thigh twice the size of the other?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I've had 2 recall notices, both on motorbikes.

One on a Triumh for a fuel line issue
    The other on my Ducati for a wire to be re-routed.

No biggie.

DezB
    Free Member

ZERO problems with cars in the whole of Europe

Just for emphasis, like.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I think they were talking about the brakes, rather than the accel Will.

hora
    Free Member

My fiat is going to catch fire too.

Thats a given. Either that or when you brake the hazard lights dimly light upto 😆

BermBandit
    Free Member

Storm in a teacup…no biggy except its a slow news week

Davy
    Free Member

We got a re-call letter for my wife's Clio a couple of years back, telling us that there was a potential fault with the bonnet catch. Unfortunately the letter arrived about a year after the bonnet had flown open at about 70mph, writing the car off in the process. 😕

Did you know that in the good old USofA they often have re-call parties at dealerships because it's a great way to get people through the doors and tempt them to a new car. Quite often the recall is over trifling little problems like pedals getting caught on mats… 🙄

stumpyjon

Recalls are quite common, about 150 a year across all the manufacturers in Europe. I just think the Yanks are gunning for Toyota to try and prop up their own collapsed car industry. The Clio issue was way more serious and it took Renault years and hundreds of serious accidents to admit there was a problem. Apparently there was a problem with owners not servicing the bonnet catch correctly despite the fact there was no mention of service requirements for said part in any service documentation. Then there was the issue of the airbags going off spontaneously in Clio seats, also really dangerous and something renault wouldn't own up to.

NEVER BUY A RENAULT, THEY ARE CR*P AND THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE IS EVEN WORSE.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

If our 11 year old Corolla has a fault think we might have found it by now

Very basic, but bloody good car and would definitely buy another one when this finally falls apart

Used to have a Camper based on a Hiace and that was a damn fine motor too

druidh
    Free Member

I've had 4 Renaults and they've all been faultless, despite some pretty high mileage. Just don't get me going on (new-shape) Honda Civics though…..

Drac

Not me but then I have VW but not the dodgy one from Brazil.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else get the dreaded letter this morning…?’ is closed to new replies.