• This topic has 40 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jimw.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Anyone else fail Cycling Proficiency?
  • RustyNissanPrairie

My folks wouldn’t let me do it on my beloved ‘Dirt Tracker’, I failed for constantly doing wheelies on my ‘droppy’ and not really paying attention!

Still bitter now.

sandboy

In the early 80’s on his BMX, my brother did an endo for his emergency stop. Apparently he failed for being out of control!!

andysredmini
    Free Member

Yes 3 times for showing off messing around wheelieing and going around the cones to quickly amongst other things as daft. I didn’t care. It wasn’t like you couldn’t ride if you failed. All done on my 80’s Raleigh burner.

ampthill

Yes but I can’t remember why. Nothing cool like the above

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yep, I tried to be good, but my old mate Poppa Wheelie got the better of me and I sailed over the line on the back wheel of my raleigh burner and straight into a fail. My mate reminds me about it whenever I come off my MTB a mere 27 years later.

I regret nothing.

wiggles
    Free Member

I didn’t know you could fail?

Me and my mates did get in trouble for leavit 20ft+ skid marks all over the rugby pitch.

Yak

Yeah, failed for not getting on the bike properly or safely. Didn’t bother me, nor stop me from riding to the bmx track.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I didn’t get as far as taking it, the policeman grabbed both brakes and walked casually along with no sign of any brake resistance, made me walk the bike home, never felt so despondent in my life. Nailed it second time though

teamslug
    Free Member

I seem to remember failing. It was either the cones or lack of arm signals. I remember I rode ALL the way home with no hands after…must have been 1977 or 78.Happy Days

ads678

I wasn’t allowed to take as I had no brakes on my BMX at the time!!

P-Jay
    Free Member

@wiggles – I was surprised myself, but PC Malcom Thomas failed me and Wes for “playing silly buggers” no chance to retake it either – so by his rules I’m technically still not able to ride on the road, I mean I’ve got a Motobike license like, but pushbikes are out.

It might be why I’ve never fancied a road bike.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I was just thinking about it today 😆 I failed for getting my left and right mixed up on a turn, I remember being quite fed up about it as I virtually lived on my bike back then.
    Bah

rocketman
    Free Member

Nope i destroyed it. Could’ve been something to do with my awesomez mk1 Chopper. Seem to recall a mate took his on a tricycle lolz

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Yup, totally failed. Stoppies not part of the curriculum apparently.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Reporting you all to the police. You can’t ride in this country with out a ‘Cycling Proficiency license’ Blooming foreigners coming over here and not paying road tax and eating all our swans

Grrrrrr!

simmy
    Free Member

I never got it offered to me.

These days it’s Bikeability and split into levels 1,2 & 3 with level 1 being playground control, level 2 basic quiet road riding passing parked cars, correct use of junctions etc.

Level 3 is big roundabouts, busy roads.

In primary schools, our company only does level 1 and 2 and they have to be really bad at riding or to be messing around not to pass level 1.

wilburt
    Free Member

If it was pre 1985 I was expelled from everything…turned out awesome though so **** em.

molgrips
    Free Member

Which level are manuals and tail whips?

TheDTs
    Free Member

I didn’t have a bike so I did it on foot.. 😀

gavinpearce
    Free Member

Turned right when supposed to turn left. Still passed and that sense of direction is still with me.

retrobri
    Free Member

no, nailed it on the grifter. triangle badge and that!

ontor
    Free Member

Got told off for taking the “cycle as slow as you can” literally…

whitestone
    Free Member

Don’t think they’d introduced it when I was a kid 😳

pennine
    Free Member

Don’t think they’d introduced it when I was a kid

How old are you? I took & passed mine in 1957!

Harry_the_Spider

Yep. Back in about 1978.

I had to miss a couple of sessions due to family days out.

#### ’em.

jonpavelin
    Free Member

In 1992 I failed for going round a roundabout the wrong way. My excuse was that I was preoccupied with trying to keep my feet on the pedals through the bottom of the stroke on my dads Falcon road bike.

Moses

Nope. Passed in 1964. I even got a “Knight of the Road” badge from the News of the World for being a compliant wimp. I still can’t do wheelies, theough 🙁

Xylene
    Free Member

How do you become trained to deliver bikability is it an ASDAN course?

whitestone
    Free Member

How old are you? I took & passed mine in 1957!

You missed the smiley!! Of course it was around when I was a kid (I’m in my 50s) but it was never offered at either of the two primary schools I attended.

tenfoot

Passed mine despite us kids taunting our instructor as she was an Elvis fan, and he died on one of the days we were doing it.

philjunior
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Which level are manuals and tail whips?

Level ?.

vintagewino
    Free Member

I never got to take it either, I had a US-import Huffy (American dad) with a coaster brake an no front. ‘The Man’ didn’t like that, even though I could jump down the most steps at the primary school.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Nope, although i think a lot failed on the road signs bit, which is unsurprising,

a) we’d never been taught anything about them
    b) we lived in rural wales, road signs were badly spelt in white emulsion on rotten ply. I doubt any of the kids had ever seen a no entry to cars sign!

t-p26
    Free Member

Wasn`t allowed to take it. Not sure if it was the no mudguards or only one brake that got me excluded.. I did manage to buy an enamel badge several years later but only “the few” really knew the truth 😉
    I spend my weekends checking for helmet straps an barplugs now…..

Sui
    Free Member

i failed in 87, can’t remember why, though probably something to do with me jumping around outside my house showing off or something (lived next to the school). rubbish really.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I borrowed my brothers bmx/earlyMTB – a strait forked, drum braked, cast alloy wheeled thing with 4 gears… except that he had broken one of the “spokes” on the wheel so it was failed. I then got my Raleigh Commando out. I have clear recall of being told off by my bitter and twisted old bag of a Primary teach for “freewheeling” as this meant I was clearly out of control. I very much doubt she had ever ridden a bike in her life. I passed anyway, just to spite her.

Cowman

Yes. Failed first time. Now a BC Level 3 Mountain Bike Coach. Ha!

wilko1999
    Free Member

Low-sided on some gravel on mine doing the right-hand turn. So yes, I failed.

jekkyl

I wasn’t old enough. 🙁
    I went along with my friend and older brother and the copper said me and my mate couldn’t do it as we weren’t old enough. I’ll take a guess and say I was 9 and you had to be 10. BUT we still did the course.

lunge

Passed, riding my Mom’s bike as my Emmelle MTB had been stolen a week before.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else fail Cycling Proficiency?’ is closed to new replies.