Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone driven to the Les Arcs area?
  • markfu
    Free Member

I've got most of the journey sorted. I'm driving from Northern Germany, having an over nighter in Freiburg, then straight through Switzerland to Chamonix and onto Albertville. However, from Albertville to Bourg St Maurice there are 2 routes that look fairly similar distances. I have read somewhere (Possibly on here?) that the N90 is a nightmare on weekends. Can anyone elaborate on this? Also is the other route very slow? It looks like it is hairpin bends for a large portion of it(D925 & D902).

Cheers

steviep
    Free Member

We drove from Albertville to Bourg st Maurice on a Sat morning 3 weeks ago, there was very little traffic, it is a nice easy drive.

markfu
    Free Member

Thanks, along the N90 i take it?

coffeeking
    Free Member

n90 was empty when we did it.

LHS
    Free Member

Yeah, no problems with traffic down that way.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I live in the valley. There is no sensible way from Albertville to Bourg Saint Maurice other than the N90.

In summer, there are zero issues. If you want to drive in on a Saturday in February, bring a good book.

The other roads you've listed make up the route through the Beaufortain and over the Cormet de Roseland. In summer, this would take about 3 times as long, in winter it's closed!

medievalkneival
    Free Member

Just returned on Saturday from a weeks biking down there. Used the N90. 1pm going to Les Arcs and 6am coming back. No issue whatsoever.

markfu
    Free Member

Thanks all, i thought that the alternative looked a bit dubious. Roll on Saturday 8).

JonEdwards
    Free Member

We usually do the Cormet de Roseland when we go down that way. After 10 or 12 hours on autoroutes I'm *desperate* for some proper driving, and as we usually hit it about 7am it's not too busy. Great road, with fantastic views (look left as you down to BsM – there's a lovely valley looking up to Mont Blanc) although can be a little hairy when covered in freshly laid cowpoo…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone driven to the Les Arcs area?’ is closed to new replies.