Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Anyone broken any XX1 cranks?
  • maxtorque

Just wondering about moving to XX1 cranks, but i’ve never had CF cranks before! Anyone broken them? Or worn through them or something silly?

(usage would be AM rather than DH, but including some relatively serious alpine techy trails etc)

BearBack
    Free Member

No XX1 expereince, but I’m running carbon SL-K cranks on my Genius.
    crank end bumpers like raceface have would have been great, but I’ve bashed them enough now that I dont worry about the cosmetic damage
    Having happily run carbon frames, bars, posts for years, I’m not at all worried about breakage.

woolymonster
    Free Member

Max – Yeah, as it happens I was working today and a poor sod on his lovely XX1 equipped Spicy had literally broken the pedal off the drive-side crank arm. The pedal was still attached to the shoe and basically the threaded insert and a chunk around it had detached from the arm. Warranty for sure and the first one I’ve seen or heard of, but concerning nonetheless…Must have been a beast of a man, with pistons to match! 🙂

dirtyrider
    Free Member

was it the crank, or was the pedal loose?

ive got 2x sets, 1x set is a year old and has plenty of rock strike marks on – i wouldn’t worry

maxtorque

What do we think then, any more likely to get damaged than say a set of normal XT HT2 cranks?

maxtorque

I’ve got a oneup 24t dinnerplate on order, and i can’t decide if i should take the weight saving from going pukka xx1 crank + 32t or just go ghetto with a narrow/wide ring for my existing XT crankset??

nickdavies

You could try and pick up an OEM pair of X01 – they’re metal. Not sure if XX1 cranks are the same?

goodgrief
    Free Member

seen a few snapped X0 crank arms….still use one on my dh bike.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

You will save about 100g with XX1 GXP over XT or 60g with X01

maxtorque

hmm, not a lot then. Might go ghetto first then 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Probably not the most accurate but..

bit more searching puts an XT double at 725g (no bb I reckon)
    I’d be looking at the Race Face Next SL too, they are a beautiful thing and very light!!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

XT crank arms are about 600g without bb bolts are 20g ring is 50g BB 90g

http://www.sicklines.com/weights/crankarms

I’ve pulled the threaded pedal insert out of three Truvativ Noir cranks and the splined crank insert out of another one.
    Same manufacturer, but I don’t know if the process differs and XX1 inserts are better bonded.
    I wouldn’t chance it.

maxtorque

Interesting thanks chaps! I guess one advantage of the XX1s is being able to change the ring without pulling the cranks out of the frame, but that’s not really that useful is it?

robj20
    Free Member

Yes i currently swap between a 30t and 34t depending where im going. Im a heavy lump and have had no issues with my cranks.

kelvin

Wish XX1 had the bumpers… took a huge chunk out of mine when I got a drop-off wrong.
    Still work fine though.
    All in all… I think cranks arms should probably be metal.

the_lecht_rocks

I use the race face bumpers on my xx1 , fit like a glove….. 😈

robgclarkson
    Free Member

the_lecht_rocks – Member
    I use the race face bumpers on my xx1 , fit like a glove….. 😈

me too… happy days

DanW
    Free Member

seen a few snapped X0 crank arms….still use one on my dh bike.

Yep, there a few pics floating around the web of people damaging X0 in various ways. I think they tend to be porkers coming up short on some fairly sizeable DH jumps rather than JRA’s so I wouldn’t worry.

Personally I’d have no qualms about a carbon crank and ride a FSA K-Force for XC riding.

X0/ XX1/ XO1/ S-2200 (OE) are all the same crank with different graphics and different spiders. I’d get whatever is cheapest and go with a direct mount ring (even if buying XX1) for a cleaner look and lighter chainset.

peachos
    Free Member

Snapped the pedal off a drive side xx1 (same as above) at the puffer earlier after landing a small drop. Lucky to ride away unscathed. Even more lucky they were a mate’s! I wouldn’t trust them personally…

JCL
    Free Member

I’ve run XO’s for two years. Specialized BB height and BC trails. No issues.

dreednya

My two to three year old XX cranks developed a problem. The spider started to unbond from the cranks so the cranks started to contact the swing arm under load. Seeing it was a carbon swing arm I replaced them with some Turbine cranks (XX ring compatible). Great cranks, nice and stiff – until they started to unbond.

schbeemb
    Free Member

My x0’s died on me three weekends ago at Aston Hill.
    First drop on Surface to Air which is probably knee height, landed and woah – no peddle!
    Escapes unharmed.
    Friend broke his in a crash…
    both replaced them. Saints for me now.

schbeemb
    Free Member

On my phone right now but have a number of photos i could post after the weekend.

njee20
    Free Member

I’d get whatever is cheapest and go with a direct mount ring (even if buying XX1) for a cleaner look and lighter chainset.

This.

My two to three year old XX cranks developed a problem. The spider started to unbond from the cranks

That’s weird – surely they’re 1 piece on XX cranks? Do you mean they cracked?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Anyone broken any XX1 cranks?’ is closed to new replies.