Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Anyone bought a Canyon and paid in Euros
  • mark_rich
    Free Member

Looking at a new strive cf9, I’ve emailed canyon but no reply.
    Has anyone bought one and paid in euros? I can’t see how it can be done on the web site.
    With the current exchange rate it works out about £600 – 700 quid cheaper if I paid the European price in euros.
    YT & Commencal are all ordered in euros making them a lot more attractive at the moment.

scotroutes

There was a thread about this last week/week before. The conclusion seemed to be that they had the UK buyers over a barrel on account of the delivery address. If you can pick up in Germany that might be resolvable.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Holiday and new bike and still have cash in the bank.

rickmeister

Said on the other thread, I live I Germany… If you want to work something out then mail me via forum… Lets have a look. I live 35 mins from Basel airport and easy jet fly there.

And no, paypal gift isn’t going to happen !

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

Find someone in Europe to take delivery. Change your country option on the website to the country of delivery, leave the language on English and order. Simples. Ordered my Canyon for delivery to a mate in Germany. Won”t know the outcome until June!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Is it legal for Canyon to charge different prices across the EU and force UK customers to buy from their UK page?

tomaso
    Free Member

Fly over, visit Koblenz shop, buy bike, have a sausage and a stein and fly back. Easily done under £150

astrozombies
    Free Member

I just ordered a Spectral in euros, using a friend’s address in Belgium. Don’t have to pay until the bike is ready to be sent which is going to be in June apparently, so guess I will find out then whether it will definitely work!

Actualy need to decide whether to pay now, or wait until later on the hope that the euro depreciates even further…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Actualy need to decide whether to pay now, or wait until later on the hope that the euro depreciates even further…

Anyone care to guess where the euro is going next…..

tomaso
    Free Member

Election uncertainty will apparently erode confidence and weaken Sterling. There is more economic data out today so it will change some more today. But if I really knew I would be typing this from Mauritius not Lancaster…

rickmeister

Pay in Euros, at teh moment you get a lot of Euro for your £, but that could go either way of course…

slidewinder
    Free Member

Maybe the £600-700 difference is to cover the additional labour required to attach the rear brake to the left lever rather than the right! 😀

njee20
    Free Member

Pay in Euros, at teh moment you get a lot of Euro for your £, but that could go either way of course

That’s the issue, you can’t, unless you have a mainland Europe shipping address…

Huwzy
    Free Member

Find a friend in Ireland and get it delivered to him, return ticket from Fishguard to Rosslare for a foot passanger with a bike is about £40

br
    Free Member

Known as ‘gambling’…

Plus add in the costs of actually getting the Euro’s and/or CC fee.

rickmeister

My offer still stands…

MSP

Think canyon is bad, spesh enduro 29 frame in Germany is 3300euros, and 3300gbp in the UK, at current exchange rates that’s equivalent to about 4.5k euros.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I’m going to Germany in summer for the start of my big summer trip.
    Planning on going in to the showroom to have a sit on the bikes, hopefully buy a InFlite AL and get them to send it to my mum and dad back in Scotland.

Difference in Euro/GBP price should cover a second set of Kinesis CX wheels for it.

Hopefully they’ll not charge the £££s price!

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

MSP – Think canyon is bad, spesh enduro 29 frame in Germany is 3300euros, and 3300gbp in the UK, at current exchange rates that’s equivalent to about 4.5k euros.

Point is, no matter where you live, you are buying your Canyon from Koblenz so it should be the same price across all markets. The regional offices are simply sales and tech support staff speaking in the local tongue, if they didn’t have those, they’d just have more staff back at base. Regional offices don’t carry stock, spares or deal with warranty.

You buy your Spesh (or Trek, SC, etc etc) off a dealer, who in turn buys off a distributor. Everybody is having their cut and in return has to have support infrastructure in place. Also, bikes coming from outside the EU will have import duty and most likely a higher rate of VAT.

MSP

Nah it is exactly the same, spesh and canyon are both made in taiwan, they have the same import duty for the whole of the EU, there is 1% higher vat in the UK, but spesh are clearly raking UK customers far more than canyon. The canyon model might make it look more obvious, but they are doing the same.

ps spesh don’t have importers, they do it themselves, but I expect spesh UK, pays licensing fees to spesh HQ for using the name that nearly costs as much as their annual profit, thereby avoiding paying any tax.

rickmeister

It must be that the UK is deemed out of Europe and mainland Europe pricing as it opted out of the shared currency. Maybe canyon priceing has to take account of a changing exchange rate without having a constantly varying UK advertised price…

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

Sorry my mistake, didn’t notice you’d quoted Germany. Though it’s not exactly the same, even if Spesh have there own distributor and dealers, they still have all the same infrastructure and overheads as an independant dealer network. Canyon have one showroom.

Either way, the maths doesn’t seem to add up.

mark_rich
    Free Member

Rickmeister, sorry for slow reply been out of it today, cheers for the offer, i’ll bear it in mind should i go the canyon route.
    May look for something that i can get my hands on a little sooner, however the strive cf ticks all the boxes spec wise and price wise.

rickmeister

No problem, happy to help.

tomaso
    Free Member

pound hits 8 year high against the euro
    Canyon Strive AL 6.0 Race at €2,699 is now £1,950
    Commencal Meta V4 and YT Capra Al2 at €2,499 is now £1,800
    This is if you can secure £0.72./£1 or £1/€1.38

Robz
    Free Member

I just received a YT that I paid for in Euros.

Much cheapness for much Bossness!!

womp
    Free Member

I have a strive on order im watching the rates daily and waiting for the right moment to pay, it’s bringing a little more excitement to the wait 🙂

TheFopster
    Free Member

Interesting. I am about to buy a new bike, and a Spectral 29er is top of my list. Having spent a bit of time on the interweb I now have another alternative. Looking at a Radon Slide – same direct sales model but seemingly no pricing differential to UK except for shipping cost (which seems fair enough). Quite a bit cheaper for same (arguably better) spec. and geometry looks very similar.

Decision, decisions. Planning to push the button this weekend! Time to get off the fence…

womp
    Free Member

Yes I looked at the radon slide myself, they are excellent value if your paying GBP

Personally the canyon just had the edge based on colour and I like gadgets (shapeshifter)

anthemia
    Free Member

Although £:EUR is sliding now a bit so slightly less value than it was a week ago, Canyon agreed to let me pay in EUR (bank transfer only) and then arrange my own courier to pickup from Koblenz and bring it back to me. They supplied a bike guard and packaged it ready to pickup. TNT Courier cost £140 fully insured, I booked it through P4D.co.uk, but saving on £1760 bike still was £180 overall so worth it I think (took a bit of time going back and forth to Canyon to get them to ok this arrangement).

To transfer the EUR to them I used Transferwise who only charge 0.5% of transaction (hell of a lot cheaper than the banks) – link here http://bit.ly/1KgQ2Q7 and your first transfer is fee free with them

scoobaru
    Free Member

Did Canyon specifically not let you use a credit card for a Euro’s payment ?

prettygreenparrot

@anthemia, that is a nice saving.

edit Though I don’t like the idea of bank transfer for purchases where I could use a credit card with its various protections.

howie_lam
    Free Member

@anthemia Thanks for sharing your experience! I’m keen on picking up a Strive myself.

Any chance you could give me a few tips on who I need to talk to over there and what I need to say? My email is: mail(at)howardlam.com

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

Friend of mine has recently got one, and he had it delivered to Ireland, and couriers picked up from there.

anthemia
    Free Member

Hi, Sorry I missed these posts.

To update this…I did have to go back and forth to them quite a few times, this method is not for the feint hearted!!!! In the end they refused my courier a pickup despite having the appropriate signed authorisation form. This worked in my favour – got a refund of postage charges from the courier, and then Canyon ended up shipping it usign their courier at no cost to me!! Not saying everyone would get this, but at worst they were quoting me about EUR30 for shipping!

With Euro rate at current levels this is even better!

In terms of who to talk to, unfortunately it was back through to their call centre each time, until in the end when this was dragging on I demanded one person owned it and called me back (they are pretty slack from customer service I must say). When I was having trouble with collection they even gave me a number for the reception and showroom – no one ever answered it!!!

Re: using direct purchase, yes there is more risk than a credit card, if you’re not comfortable then don’t do it. I took the (small) risk as I saw it and worked out fine. Definitely recommend Transferwise for very low fee transfer http://bit.ly/1KgQ2Q7

wrecker
    Free Member

This is just stupid!
    If I could buy a strive for the same amount of money that the germans can, I’d just go and buy one!

What is wrong with them?

Come on Canyon, shut the Uk office!

chakaping
    Free Member

I wonder if you can buy one in Euros and get it delivered to, for example, the Alps?

v666ern
    Free Member

Surely cant you just threaten them with this…
    http://news.sky.com/story/1527077/taking-the-mickey-eu-probe-into-disney-prices

(disney charging brits more for staying at eurodisney than french/germans etc)

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Awaiting my order and noticed on the confirmation email that you are able to make the payment via PayPal but this must be paid in euros,anyone done this?

annebr
    Free Member

I would have thought this attitude by Canyon would have been against EU Competition Laws.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Anyone bought a Canyon and paid in Euros’ is closed to new replies.