Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone advise about Middleburn XTR Slick-Shift Hardcoat chain rings?
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

These Specially designed replacement chainrings, have a special ceramic/PTFE coating applied to the rings in place of the regular anodised finish. This has two benefits 10 times less friction and 4 times the wear resistance of a standard ring.

Mates ti HT suffering terrible chainsuck and we abandoned our ride after 35k (good excuse as I was feeling knackered). I have identified that his chainring teeth on all three rings (XT) are quite hooky, while his chain is unstretched – the most likey cause.

So I'm about to suggest he spends £70 on a nice set of these Middleburn rings. So what do you think of them?

turqoisedays
    Free Member

On my 2nd Middleburn XTR middle ring, the last one lasted over 2 years,best rings I've ever used.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I had a set some years ago. They don't shift as well as shimano, but do look better.

The 'hardcote' wore off in no time at all and I pulled three of the shifting pins out of the middle ring.

Good enough as a granny, but I've stayed away from everything else since.

Barelyincontrol
    Free Member

Pretty much same. On an XT chainset don't shift as well as Shimano and I suffered terrible chainsuck (chain was new with the rings). Ended up getting an XTR chainset and it solved it of course. Would only put it on the granny ring now, which of course is the cheap one on XTR. D'oh.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

OK I'll tell him to stick with Shimamo XT. Cheers.

davidxbrown
    Free Member

Not long replaced my granny and middle with Middleburn SSHC and with a £70 saving over XTR so far well worth it, OK they might not shift as well but I can put up with that. It will be interesting to see if the rule buy cheep buy twice or is it three times applies!

glenncampbell

I've used them for 3 years now and they're fantastic. As mentioned above they don't shift quite as well as Shimano but last much longer – well worth it and highly recommended!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone advise about Middleburn XTR Slick-Shift Hardcoat chain rings?’ is closed to new replies.