Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 153 total)
  • Ex9 cracked frame! Advice!
  • wwaswas

my 2p's worth which will no doubt get a good old slagging off

I would but I don't want to sap my will to live any further…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Where do you draw the line Didzy? Say a 4th hand frame breaks after 8 years, and Trek have no spare stays – should they replace with a new frame FOC?

Bazz

My post may have been biased because i don't like Trek's full stop, however imo even if the failure rate was 0.1% with the number of units sold i expect that runs to quite a few bikes, and it could have serious, possibly even fatal consequenses so in my book trek are still negligent and irresponsible and put profits over people, hence why i don't like Treks, although it's deeper than that.

wwaswas

Bazz – I think you'd struggle to buy a bike if you expected a lifetime 'any owner' no-quibble warranty.

My 2p – Trek have been more than reasonable and if you buy 2nd hand/grey import then warranty is one of the things you don't get.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i get the point guys totally – 8 years is a bit ott and i wouldnt expect anything even a discount if it were that old even if it was my fault really, id be very lucky…..

the original poster says it was 2 months old when he had it, and the model is only recent too….meaning its not old, however the fault was on the bike from day one, not the fault of the owner(s), the bike therefore should have been recalled as a safety issue…..imagine if the original owner had crashed and died due to this manufacturing error – it opens a whole can of worms…..say the second owner does the same and hes not eligible for anything just because hes the second owner….just stating its the bike thats the problem, not the owner in this case and this case only.

if the bike was not known to have any errors then the guy wouldnt have a leg to stand on, but it does and that should be rectified FOC imo regardless…

i get your point on drawing the line totally, but each case has its own merits and this was a pretty new bike..so for me it should be sorted…

hora
    Free Member

What are we arguing about now?

So if I had a VW and 5yrs down the line I found it either:

A porous head
    Complete ECU failure
    Turbo failure
    (another numerous part on those bloody VW's).

All well known VW manufacturers defect what would VW say? **** off and give us 2k to fix? 🙄

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

no hora because 5 years it would be out of warranty with VW, but it still negates the point that manufacturers get away with shoddy parts/ workmanship so id be pissed off it that was the case anyways personally. you dont scrap a VW after 3 years warranty, so why the hell should the parts fall to bits??!?!?! answer – they shouldnt, but they do, and then they rip you off for parts etc etc!

the bike has a warranty is my point, just as its a different owner doesnt change the fact it snapped, it could have happened to the original owner – what difference does it make? it still did it??? why shouldnt it be fixed?? its not 8 years old, it was near brand new and had this fault known from day 1, therefore it should have been recalled as a safety issue.

whats the worst that can happen if that frame snapped whilst you were going downhill at speed?? broken neck? broken leg? arm? death??? who knows, i wouldnt like to find out though….

Bazz

wwaswas- i never said i expected those things, i do expect that a manafacturer as big as trek, who know they have a faulty product being ridden hard down rocky mountains to do all they can to pull them and replace them whoever owns it at the time, their cock up, their job to fix it.

njee20
    Free Member

and it could have serious, possibly even fatal consequenses

Don't be daft, it's a seat stay FFS! Head tube/steerer/pedal axle maybe, but that's not gonna have any disastrous effects.

As has been said by several folk Trek make no money on a second hand purchase, why should they back it up FOC?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

im with ya bazz, glad its not just me 😆

if people have the money to not need to question a snap like that and try and get it done free then you have more money than sense, i know id be disappointed if trek made me pay for this exact scenario……

but we're all different, and unless it happens to you then you dont know what you'd try to do and react to getting it sorted…i know i would try and claim and be most annoyed if i didnt suceed, it would put me off buying a trek again for life, not just trek but anyone really….

if it was my fault then hands up…..and new bike it is…

im not doubting trek are in the right, as thats their policy, just think its wrong personally, but thats fair enough…

forums were meant for disagreements right?!?!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Good luck with that Didzy, I reckon you theoretically would be most annoyed with 90% of bike mfrs.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i know al, im not doubting it, if it was a snapped through no fault of my own id be most put off using them again so id probably buy a shit heap from halfords….

ill never buy second hand so it wont happen, but i sympathise with OP totally…..

he would have been better contacting the original owner and asking him to make the phone call, if all it takes is a receipt…..its not really deceitful as its still happened regardless of the owner from a known fault…

hora
    Free Member

didzy, there is a limit (in this case original owner) to stop the eternal potential claims when fatigue and wear and tear start causing failures.

They have to cover themselves somehow by putting a finite limit in there somehow.

no hora because 5 years it would be out of warranty with VW,

My point is all those are known-manufacturing defects. However VW have a warranty-cut off to avoid them going bust by repeated and never ending claims huh?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i know hora, but i said each case has its own merits – if were going off what the OP stated, it was 2 months old from brand new when he had it, so its not had a hard life from day one.. (obviously believing the OP and his description of ownership)…..

yeah its shite with warranty claims on cars, alot of them after the 3 year warranty will actually subsidise some of the claim if it happens within say the 1st year of the warranty running out….so its always worth kicking up a fuss if your car warranty just ran out and it happens within a year of a new failure! the cars are designed to run over 100k, so why should the parts not do the same??? im not talking wear and tear, but core elements of the engines that go wrong….

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

anyways this thread has made me a bit more cautious about not trying to break a frame, so its done some good at least 😆

i hope the OP gets it at cracking rate if nothing else! so good luck with that!

wwaswas

alot of them after the 3 year warranty will actually subsidise some of the claim if it happens within say the 1st year of the warranty running out.

Not Alfa Romeo – they were quite happy to take £2500 off me when their cambelt failed 2 months out of warranty despite having been checked by their dealer 3000 miles earlier and passed as ok.

I was the original owner too.

hora
    Free Member

😯 What was the mileage wwaswas? Was it the 1.9 diesel? water pump failure cause etc??!!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i did say alot WWASWAS – it doesnt suprise me alfa dont to be honest 😆

its still shocking service though something like that if you ask me, its a license to print money…..yes you can say it stops them going bust making endless claims, but why should we have to subsidise that when the car bought should go on for years without any issues if its driven and serviced correctly!

Kal
    Free Member

The bike is only ridden in the summer as I have an on-one as my winter wet weather bike so done less than 500 miles!

And the people saying it's only a seat stay won't cause injury are idiots! if you look at the picture you can see that the brake is now free to rotate due to the braking pivot! So had I been on one of the steep fast desents we sometimes do I would have ripped the brake hose clean out of the caliper resulting in just front brake! May have panicked and grabbed a handfull of front brake and crashed, who knows……

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Kai, stop shooting yorself in the foot spouting on about it mate! 🙂 Get yourself over to the bikeshop TrekCol mentioned, and get it replaced cheaply before they withdraw their offer! 🙂

I'd love to know how much the new part is, personally, and I think TrekCol is being more than reasonable and very helpful with this.

hora
    Free Member

Takes glasses off and rubs face slowly and walks out of the topic.

Kal
    Free Member

Ffs I'm only responding to what people have said on a thread I started how is that shooting me self in the foot! Dick!

Where did I say I wasn't grateful for the offer in that last post i submitted?

Wished id never bloody bothered!

theotherjonv

Jeez, if I was Colin I'd be getting pretty pissed off by now. This thread could have easily gone

1/ look at my issue
    2/ Yes, it's known about, take it back and they'll sort it
    3/ But I'm not the original owner
    4/ That's OK, we look after our customers even though legally we're not obliged to
    5/ Wow! Thanks Trek, your customer service is as good as people say it is.

until all the what if's, shoulds and maybes started with their 2p,now people reading this thread may be getting put off trek WITH NO JUSTIFICATION AT ALL.

hora
    Free Member

theotherjonv! don't you see the point of the posts! This is an attempt to warrant a Ebay item on the cheap! (you see!) hee!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Ffs I'm only responding to what people have said on a thread I started how is that shooting me self in the foot! Dick!

You don't deserve a new frame.

wwaswas

hora – 47k on the clock, iirc. Cambelt went and took out 12 of the 16 valves.

They subsequently changed the service intervals so that the cambelt was changed at the one it was only inspected for on mine. Didn't help me though…

theotherjonv

same happened to me. I got labour covered though, just parts weren't.

Kal
    Free Member

Right for the members genuinely interested in the out come of this matter here's how it stands!

Just spoke to Corleys and its £50 for the seat stay plus £30 fitting.

Thankyou to TrekCol for getting in touch with Corelys and sorting it so quickly, its much appreciated.

wwaswas

are you satisifed with that Kal?

singlespeedstu

I can't understand why anyone would want to put pictures of something like this up without talking to the importer first.

I've broken loads of stuff over the years. Most of it's been sorted out without any fuss just by taking the right approach and not posting pictures on forums.
    I think Trek are being very good considering the way you've gone about it.

hora
    Free Member

**** 47k and they asked you to shell out? **** ****. Funny how Alfa dealers/customer service have some horror stories out there.

wwaswas

I agree – lovely cars but I wouldn't buy another based on my experience.

hora
    Free Member

Thats the thing that put me off in the end. The Dealers/customer service.

True I wouldn't be buying new however a good dealer (or even indie) was essential.

Mister-P
    Free Member

That sounds pretty fair to me Kal.

phildowling
    Free Member

These Trek slagging posts make me laugh!

Right then i worked for a Trek dealer for 2.5 years we sold a lot of Trek's. They very rarley break, yes there was a issue with the EX's at the start.

If you break a Trek, be it you the original owner or 2nd hand, take it to a Trek dealer and be honest. They will then speak to Trek, probably Col or other warranty gents and they will help you if they can.
    They're not a bunch of **** out to rip you off, if they can help you out they will.

From all the companies we dealt with they were always the most helpful.

MKCHRIS
    Free Member

+1 for what skills guiding has said.
    I have worked for Trek and for Corleys in the past-be straight with them and you should get treated fairly.

A good and fair resolution was offered a couple of pages back.

Kal- I hope you get your frame issue sorted and are back out riding soon!

Col Rocks!

Kal
    Free Member

Mkchris read 8 posts back, I've spoken to Corleys already and resolved the issue.

MKCHRIS
    Free Member

I had-good news!

hora
    Free Member

Good news! indeed!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 153 total)

The topic ‘Ex9 cracked frame! Advice!’ is closed to new replies.