Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anybody tried these pedals?
  • Scoobster
    Free Member

Anybody used them or heard anything about them?

http://www.steeleindustriesltd.co.uk/#!store/cwvn

Northwind

They’re HT AE01s, though with slightly nonstandard machining. Seem to be exactly the same as the Da Bomb Barebones, so very similiar to the On One Thinnies. So they’re light, and thin, and pretty tough though not very big. Oh, the pins will all fall out unless you remove them and threadlock them back in. Not massively grippy, but in that nice “grippy enough” camp.

But, big but, the teeny outside bearing/spring washer arrangement under the rounded cap is barely protected from the elements, delicate, and essentially unservicable. Rebuild kits are hard to find too. I’ve bodged mine just by removing the bearing entirely and screwing down the end nut til it almost contacts, then threadlocking it in place… not ideal, it’s working but there’s obvious drawbacks! Might see if I can find a replacement bearing some time.

So, very flawed but still quite good despite that. At £27, just bought a pair for myself so cheers!

doof_doof
    Free Member

With Charlie qualified in engineering and Harry riding at a professional level, they decided to found Steele Industries Ltd in order to design and manufacture mountain bike components import stuff from a Taiwanese catalogue.

Nice price for AE01’s though.

Northwind

Mine arrived quickly, nice to see that they’ve used some clear threadlock or possibly glue on the screw-in pins to stop them falling out instantly, they haven’t done the screw-through pins so that’s the first job… But yeah, good quick delivery, good price, etc.

mudsoul
    Free Member

Northwind: how long have your HT AE01s lasted before they developed play? And was it excessive play or just the DU bushings wearing out and it’s not something you feel while riding.

I was going to order a pair of Shimano Saints but now considering those HT AE01 clones.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As it happens, I spotted a pair of these in the workshop of the LBS the other day….

On a frame with a ghetto drilled Reverb Stealth hole in it.

*Waves at Scoobs* (If it’s who I think, there may be cake at the weekend. If not, someone else is getting cake, so tough!)

scruff
    Free Member

Hijack.

I have some one one thinnes I’m not using if anyone wants to make me an offer. Email in profile.

Northwind

mudsoul – Member

Northwind: how long have your HT AE01s lasted before they developed play? And was it excessive play or just the DU bushings wearing out and it’s not something you feel while riding.

They were basically dying from day one, the bearing/spring arrangement is useless. That developed into drag on one pedal, and left/right play in the other as the pedal body slid on the axle. The good news is that the bushings are absolutely fine, and actually well protected, so there’s no “wobble” in the pedal. So it’s one of those things where the bodge actually makes them work really well, but you still struggle to recommend a bodge… Easier to fix than to explain tbh!

Oh, they’re not clones btw, they come in unbranded but recognisable HT packaging.

mudsoul
    Free Member

Cheers for the information Northwind. Thinking I should just go for the Saints now although I like the looks and price of those Steele/HT AE01s.

I wonder if it would be difficult to find a bearing with the same thickness of the silly little bearing + two races and the same (or very close) ID?

robhughes
    Free Member

Worth a put at £27 so got a pair.Cheers for the info OP and NW and i’m sure i can bodge them no problem. 😉

Northwind

mudsoul – Member

I wonder if it would be difficult to find a bearing with the same thickness of the silly little bearing + two races and the same (or very close) ID?

Probably not that hard tbh- I was planning to, probably just replacing the whole outboard thing with a bearing, but never bothered in the end 😳

Rorschach
    Free Member

On one have got El Guapo flats for £30.

robhughes
    Free Member

Just received these and must say they are superb.The issue with the poxy outward bearing is easily fixable by replacing it with a 2rs bearing.I’m sourcing a couple as wee speak.Much nicer and a lot lighter than the nanos which are coming off. 🙂

mudsoul
    Free Member

Robhuges: it would be great if you report back what size bearing you used and post a couple of pics 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

Got my El Guapo’s today (I only ordered them on wednesday afternoon!!Say what you like about O-O they’ve been 100% for me so far).
    Slightly funny looking shape but after a quick ride round the street I’m pretty impressed.Won’t ride them in anger until my ribs are healed up though 🙁

robhughes
    Free Member

Will do mudsoul. 😉

J273
    Free Member

@robhughes

Did you manage to find out what bearings are needed for these Steele pedals? My outer bearing has failed and wouldn’t mind replacing it rather than buying a new set.

Many thanks

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anybody tried these pedals?’ is closed to new replies.