Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 126 total)
  • So what have you bought, then realised it was crap?
  • retro83
    Free Member

Samsung Galaxy S. Great phone, except when writing to the flash storage, it would completely lock up. So in the middle of writing a text, it would start doing an update and you’d have to just put it down and come back to it 5 minutes later. Even the power button wouldn’t dim the screen, it was absolutely locked solid until it finished.

Pace RC405. Moaned about this before on here. Apparently massively falling rate design, coupled with rocker arm hitting the pivot brace at full compression meant even with a Push tuned shock with a custom bottom out bumper you’d have virtually no small bump movement, then it’d bottom out with a harsh metal-on-metal thud as soon as you went over a rock. In hindsight I wonder if the pivot had been welded in the wrong place or something. Looked nice though. Oh except for the paint, which lost its shine on the top tube after a single ride!

Water bottle from sainsburys. The sealer nib thingy is made of sharp plastic not rubber, and it’s incredibly tight. Can’t get enough purchase with your hands to open it, but if you try and use your mouth, the sharp edges virtually guarantee a cut to your mouth. The bottle cage it came with snapped on the first ride and pinged said bottle into a muddy field.

Soft close bog seat. Quite expensive. Problem is that it will not stay balanced upright like a normal seat, despite adjustment. So in the middle of the night, you go for a wee, lift the lid and off you go. Mid flow it descends into the stream and causes severe splashback and sock wettage.

hora
    Free Member

Ellsworth I.D

jfletch
    Free Member

Quinny buzz 3.

Heavy, bukly, doesn’t roll nicely, hard to manouver, expensive, impossible to strap child to, doesn’t fit a buggy board, pay extra for the accessories, POS.

Now have a Phil & Teds Sport double which, despite earlier rants, is a brilliant peice of kit.

andytherocketeer

Peugeot 306 (that was expensive to get it past 1st MOT, and the safety recalls were fixed FoC!)

KMC 9sp chain
    The chain splitter bit on a Specialized multitool

Fortunately the free app for the local trams was superb, and was extremely useful 😉

Speeder

mildred – Member
    Phil & Teds tandem sport buggy. Jeez… Where to begin?

The wife had to have one when our kids were born. I was looking at it from the point of view of someone that buys lots of bike stuff and have certain expectations about build quality and the relationship with price; everything wobbled or didn’t go together properly, the tyres were paper thin and punctured if you gave them a funny look, it was unbalanced, unwieldy and lethal to fold down (think fingers and guillotine). And finally, if you had a kid in the lower, rear seat and went up or down kerbs, steps etc. you smashed their spine/coccyx into it due to the shoddy thin seating arrangement. What a pile of crap. I have no idea why they’re so popular.

+1 to most of that. Considering the new price we have been considerably underwhelmed by the Phil & Teds tandem.
    Compared to the Nipper 360 single it replaced, it is incredibly complicated, very heavy (even accounting for the extra needed to carry 2 children) and it steers like a pig as the handle is too far forward relative to the rear wheels. The latter point also makes it a bit of a dog getting up and down steps and a even steering in a straight line on uneven pavements. I’d have replaced it with a tandem nipper in a heartbeat if we could have gotten one through the front door.

Cycling wise my Heckler was just terrible and I was embarrassed to be seen on it. Old school xc geometry given a couple more inches travel and a few more pounds weight. Didn’t last long.

D0NK

any can opener that isn’t one of these

Cycling wise my Heckler was just terrible

which version?

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve got a can opener like that – it won’t even cut through the lid! Utterly useless, had to use a pair of scissors to get the blueberries out when me and my boy made some muffins! Argh!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Campagnolo rear mech shifter unit. Currently with the manufacturer for correction… 😐

brassneck

Quinny buzz 3.

Heavy, bukly, doesn’t roll nicely, hard to manouver, expensive, impossible to strap child to, doesn’t fit a buggy board, pay extra for the accessories, POS.

Now have a Phil & Teds Sport double which, despite earlier rants, is a brilliant peice of kit.

Strangely I can agree with all of that, made the same switch!

D0NK

I’ve got a can opener like that – it won’t even cut through the lid!

work perfectly when new but soon degrade same as every other can opener I’ve ever used, difference is those ^^^ cost ~ 99p so you can keep a spare (or 3) in the cupboard

(and even when knackered you can normally cut the lid in ~8mm sections at a time used like a pair of snips)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Just remembered another –

Hutchinson Python UST tyres.

Yes they were light, and yes in dry conditions they were fast, but if the rider ahead of you had sneezed on the ground, you’d be in the nearest hedge due to the immediate loss of any traction!

slowjo
    Free Member

Orange X1….pants, total pants!

DezB
    Free Member

work perfectly when new but soon degrade same as every other can opener I’ve ever used, difference is those ^^^ cost ~ 99p so you can keep a spare (or 3) in the cupboard
    (and even when knackered you can normally cut the lid in ~8mm sections at a time used like a pair of snips)

Give me your address and I’ll send it to you! It’s new!

twinw4ll
    Free Member

A lady who said she would “love me long time”.
    Gutted.

Kuco

Orange P7 rode like a bag of shit. Ended up stripping it down and selling the frame.

ski
    Free Member

Premier membership here 😉

The add free part was good, but never used the ‘extra’ content, thinking about it I also miss some of the original contributors to the mag as well, what am I still doing here??? 😉

Sorry, imho

D0NK

Give me your address and I’ll send it to you! It’s new!

erm dunno then, user error? Did you install it with rocks? Have you got an engineering degree?
    🙂

p8ddy
    Free Member

Marzocchi Shivers: Biggest let down ever for me. Heavy, flexy and no where near as supple as I’d been led to believe. Add to that the leaky seals and over priced stanchion guards and you have a perfect recipe for a crap fork.

Race Blade XL mudguards: Too short (not enough coverage), crappy mounts. When you find yourself having to fit secondary cheapy decathlon mudguards (that are no good on their own either but at least only cost £5.00) you know you’ve been had. Expensive, crap and annoying.

AlexSimon

Continental Mountain King Supersonics.
    I had to run them at 45psi to avoid rim puncturing when doing a bunny hop on the flat!

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

kia sedona. absolute piece of junk, and hawkins motors in cornwall and kia customer service too.

AlexSimon

gavtheoldskater – Member

kia sedona. absolute piece of junk, and hawkins motors in cornwall and kia customer service too.
    But you’re not bitter 🙂

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Trek 1400 road bike as it was too big so my fault.

RustySpanner

Converse shoes.
    High Rollers.
    Orange Clockwork.
    Purple skateboard trucks.
    Tablets.

DezB
    Free Member

You were surprised a Kia was junk? Surely not… 😆

Mister-P
    Free Member

This packet of Tesco Finest salt and vinegar crisps that have no vinegar taste at all.

Oh hang on, I’ve picked up the ones with blue writing on assuming they were salt and vinegar but they are just salted 😳

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

iPad – won’t play most video clips I want to watch and objects to connecting to anything that isn’t apple.

SRAM RED Black front mech – too thin/flexy to function correctly. Replaced with a Force.

On One headset – fell to pieces in a time so short I ended up having to replace the forks due to extent of steerer damage.

Entry to the mountain mayhem event – drive hundreds of miles and pay quite a bit for the worst mountain biking I have ever experienced.

gazc
    Free Member

iphone 4 – great for fannying around on the internet/faceache/whatever. utterly utterly useless as a phone. pretty sure some gremlins have got in there and running riot just to piss me off

grahamg
    Free Member

Cars are such a gamble that I’m not surprised they make up half the answers.

Lezyne pressure drive – the one that unscrews your valve core for you to let the air out you’ve just put in.

Every single wireless outdoor temperature sensor I’ve ever bought – whether branded or no-name, has died within 12-15 months. If someone somewhere just did a GOOD QUALITY unit that had a 5+ year guarantee and cost a fortune, I’d buy it.

cdoc
    Free Member

Endura MT500 gloves. Fingers were poking through the end after three weeks of commuting.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I was in much the same train of thought as this. Until I took it off the other day. My God. I couldn’t see a thing. Constant spray of water.

If the Butt Fender keeps water out of your eyes you need to work on your riding position and technique!

camo16
    Free Member

My last winter bike
    Metallica’s St Anger
    Aldi’s Shreddies
    Several recent editions of Single Track (soz, true)
    Aldi’s commuter jacket
    The Tree of Life

… there’s an awful lot of crap out there people!

Marin
    Free Member

A Hotpoint fridge freezer model HM315NI. Awaiting delivery of 2nd one in 3 years. Appealing customer service and quality. Having it replaced for free but 3 year lifespan of the last one just rubbish.
    Pencil’s from Tesco. All the lead inside broken utter rubbish as well.

slackalice
    Free Member

Probably about 20 or so years ago, in a very hot, humid and thumpingly loud Turnmills on a Saturday Trade night. I had seemingly mislaid my top-up supply.

I was assured by the seller that they were indeed “pukka” and as testimony, he drew my attention to the mass of very happy, dancing and extremely sweaty gurning people before us with his outstretched arms:
    “See everyone here?” He bellowed in my ear. “They’re all on ’em. Lovin it!”

He lied.

Fortunately, after realising his falsehood, I found my top-up’s in one of the many pockets in my combats.

Marin
    Free Member

Edit myself. It was appalling customer service not appealing.

gonzy
    Free Member

2001 x reg almera sport plus…traded in my 3 door civic and paid more on top…damn thing conked out 2 days after we bought it needind an new MAF unit. the trader sorted it for us though but it set the theme for the next 3 years…new exhaust, countless tyres, water pump, radiator and fans, temperature sensor, brake pads, belts, pulley wheel, track rod ends, new drivers window, lower front suspension arm….the list goes on….still we got more than 40k out of it in those 3 years. when it was good it could easily bomb up and down the motorway although it was a bit of a bland drive….did similar mileage in the civic over the same amount of time and it only cost me a new exhaust and 2 front tyres…that’s why i hated the almera…i liked it cos it was bigger than the civic.
    more recently bought my some one of those Vtech Innotabs for his birthday…..absolute waste of money and pure shite!! going to sell it and buy him a proper tablet instead.
    had one of the early raceface freeride jackets….they were next to useless. paid good money for it and ended up giving it away a few months later

Northwind

slackalice – Member

“See everyone here?” He bellowed in my ear. “They’re all on ’em. Lovin it!” He lied.

On the plus side, it probably cured your worms.

Philby

Knog lights – bought 3 – I think lighting three matches would have lasted longer than the Knogs. Cheapo Aldi ones have outperformed them.

M&S socks – bought a multi-pack. Most had holes in within 3 or 4 wears. Bought some from Sainsbury’s recently and they have been much better quality.

fubar
    Free Member

Oh yes socks….Garburn merino socks…made the mistake of walking in them and the heels wore through after only a couple of short walks.

willard

The cheap Android tablets have a use as long as you set your expectation correctly. I bought one for about 70 quid with the specific requirements that it had to take a microSD card, be cheap and play films well.

I didn’t care about laggy internet, because I took it to a place with no internet. I didn’t care that it got scratched and abused, because it was cheap. If it had got lost, I would have mourned it briefly (and the loss of the SD card with the films and books on), but it was cheap, so would not have mourned too much.

TiRed

iPod shuffle 3 gen. Why? The Shuffle 2 was perfect for small kids for Pop Party etc.. The 3 had all the controls in the headphones! And voice controls. It wouldn’t work with non-Apple headphones either.

The Shuffle 4 went back to the form of the 3 and made it shorter so you can’t clip it without pushing the buttons. Even Apple realized the 3 was crap but couldn’t bring themselves to complelely go back to the better designed 2.

Still, it’s an Apple, eh ? 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘So what have you bought, then realised it was crap?’ is closed to new replies.