Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anybody do Bowscale Fell to Blencathra on to Threlkeld?
  • mozzie
    Free Member

Thinking of doing a loop from Keswick.
    Keswick – Threlkeld – Mungrisedale – Bowscale fell – Blencathra –
    Skiddaw House – Keswick.
    Has anyone done the over the top route from Bowscale?
    Cheers

anc
    Free Member

If you take fp at Mungrisdale round White Horse Bent then follow it through to Mungrisdale common its all rideable but will be very muddy at the mo. You then head SW up onto Foule Crag and onto the Summit of Blencathra to get to the top which is 50/50 rideable. Thing is though there isn’t really any good descents off Blencathra, they’re either mundane or they’ll kill you!!! We tend to just head over Mousthwaite Comb at the junction below White Horse Bent.

Also if your trying to head from from the Summit of Blencathra directly towards skiddaw house its very boggy un-bike friendy ground, so I’d give that a miss I I were you. 😉

mozzie
    Free Member

Cheers anc, good advice I’m sure. Just always looking for interesting new stuff to do from Keswick. Any other suggestions most welcome.
    Thanks
    Hendo

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Dont write off the unofficial stuff in Whinlater from Keswick, especially the path known as “Seldom Seen”.

A circuit of Blencathra via Skiddaw House is a good trip, but as above, I wouldnt bother riding up Blencathra.

I did see people taking skis and boards up the year before last though…

anc
    Free Member

Have you gone off Skiddaw via Carlside and Ullock? It’s a must do descent, at none busy times of course. 😉

Theres also a good ride you could tie in with your above route if you go up from Mosedale, when the road ends head up by the ‘mine’ on the back dotted path to the hut on the horizon(Great Lingy Hill), Then head south on the path which forks and heads up onto Knott. From knott head down to Burn Tod and follow the secret singletrack shhhhhh :mrgreen: to Horsemoor Hills. Great little route, but also can be wet on the way up, but worth it.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Thing is though there isn’t really any good descents off Blencathra, they’re either mundane or they’ll kill you!!!

I have to disagree with you there anc 🙂 The descent off the summit down to Scales Tarn and around the valley is excellent, as is ‘the chute’ if you know where to pick it up, and into the gorse-lined singletrack. Doddick is fun too but does fall into anc’s ‘kill you’ category. Don’t bother with Hall’s Fell though – it’s a scramble off the top. All very cheeky though mozzie.

anc
    Free Member

Nar.. Scales tarn descent is boring IMO. Chute sounds promising option though.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

I always find it fun – off-camber and loose at the top and that nasty fix the fells section following the beck down (that I still haven’t cleared). The chute’s off the end of the valley – there’s a right fork (easy to pick up once you know it’s there) and following your nose you can’t miss it. Zig-zagging scree is probably a better description than chute. The final fast section through the gorse though – that makes the earlier grind up worth the effort.

Trekster

The chute’s off the end of the valley – there’s a right fork

Any chance of a grid ref? Ta….

anc
    Free Member

The one that join’s fp that comes in above the pub? That bits pretty good granted, I just don’t think much of the bit off the top and down Scales fell, its man made, smooth with the odd tight corner and pretty untechnical really then just a fast grassy bank till you hit the zigzags.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Hi Trekster – ygm

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I took a bike up Blencathra once and had a blast. It was 11 years ago and I was hungover to hell and it was covered in mist at the top. Got a picture of it somewhere.

Anyway, we came down towards Souther Fell. I remember having to avoid a right turn that took you down Certain Death, then it was very fast and rocky. Times and bikes have changed a lot since then though, so i don’t know if i’d still enjoy it or if it would be a bit tame.

Only one way to find out!

parkedtiger
    Free Member

I just don’t think much of the bit off the top and down Scales fell, its man made, smooth with the odd tight corner and pretty untechnical really then just a fast grassy bank till you hit the zigzags.

Agreed. I’m not keen on that section – much better to duck left as you leave the summit and head down to the tarn.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

P8080009 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

P8080011 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

shh….

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Best way onto Bowscale is up the side of the Tongue
    Worth bearing in mind, the path up the Glendaramackin, which is a bog fest by Souther Fell, is referred to as a Bridleway by one Mr Wainwright.

The pics above are on the other side of the valley, coming down.

and Burn Tod is ace too

P4060008 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

anc
    Free Member

much better to duck left as you leave the summit and head down to the tarn.

Ahh yes that does look better, it eventually joins the singletrack I rode up below sharp edge once heading to Foule Crag, thought at the time it would be better down than up :mrgreen: Think thats what

PT do you see much of Bish/Mike on the tuesday rides? Haven’t seen him about for a age.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

No sorry anc 🙁

Trekster

parkedtiger – Member
    Hi Trekster – ygm

😆

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anybody do Bowscale Fell to Blencathra on to Threlkeld?’ is closed to new replies.