Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Any washing machine repair experts out there??
  • ac505
    Free Member

Hi, we have a smeg WDF 16 BA1 washer dryer, 3 years old so out of warranty, the motor just stopped working today. Interestingly an RCD tripped in the house just before it stopped working. After the RCD was reset the motor stopped turning, maybe coincidence, but then again maybe not…… No error codes, and the pump is still working

I’ve read the link to a similar problem
    http://www.justanswer.com/uk-appliance/6g1se-smeg-wdi-16ba-washer-dryer-motor-stopped.html

I’m not sure whether or not to get somebody out to look at it – if the motor is away, (unlikely I would think) or if the module is, then it will be cheaper to replace the entire machine…

I haven’t yet had a chance to meter the motor and tacho, bit of a space issue and I need to move it first.

What compounds the problem is that we have 2 young kids, so going without a machine, even for a few days, is an absolute no no.

cinnamon_girl

Aha, I had a similar thing following an RCD tripping and as soon as machine was switched on again, RCD tripped again!

Turned out to be the element and was replaced without charge on a 3 year old machine. Apparently it was heavily scaled with one user! I am falling out of love with Miele products. 🙁

I can certainly appreciate what a pain it will be for you with young children but Smeg is a good make so you just don’t expect this to happen. Hope you get it sorted. 🙂

ac505
    Free Member

their customer service is sh!te however, the machine failed just after we got it, pretty dangerous too, the door could be opened during the cycle and it would not shut down…..

Got a bad feeling it will be the module, read £170, but I dont have time to check it so prob the same again for a tech. to look at it…

globalti
    Free Member

If the motor just stops it’s usually because the brushes have worn to their limit. This will happen every 2-3 years if you use it a lot (i.e. you have kids.) Replacing the brushes is an easy service job, finding the right brushes is the hardest part.

You need to find a good local repairer and make friends with him. If you’re in Bury I recommend Simon at Belec in Walmersley Road.

You can borrow the Haynes washing machine repair manual from your library.

cvilla

I do not know this machine, but with ours (Hotpoint Aq’) if after a heavy load and hence bumpy spin, it has been known to disconnect/brake a cable in the wiring loom at the bottom. So need to get machine out and have a look, hassle yes BUT maybe a fix. Good luck. Disconnect power first 😮

ac505
    Free Member

Good call re the brushes. Dissasembled it this morning and one brush very worn, so hoping this is the problem. Trip to local domestic apiance place and I have some new brushes, fitting them tonight so hoping this solves it.

globalti
    Free Member

Buy two sets of brushes.

ac505
    Free Member

Globalti. All sorted, cheers for the diagnosis! And it only cost £20.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Any washing machine repair experts out there??’ is closed to new replies.