Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Any vets in the house?
  • Xylene
    Free Member

Tricky one this.

My cat in Thailand has apparantely got cancer on one of his feet. The vet wants to do a blood test and see if he is strong enough to survive an amputation.

I don’t feel that is the best option for him and being put to sleep would be the best option.

Generally it’s near impossible to get animals put to sleep there because of the Buddhist side of life.

The cat is 10 years old, weighs in at 8kgs and his whole life is wandering along the roof tops visiting people in the street.

If he was younger I would probably go with the amputation, but at 10 years old, I don’t think it’s partuclarly fair on him. As much as I would miss him when I am there, it looks like the best option.

Problem is it will probably come down to me doing the job myself rather than a vet.

So what are my options?

j_me
    Free Member

We had a three legged cat. Rear right amputated at the age of eight, lived for six more happy hoppy years. You’ll be surprised how well they adapt.

Xylene
    Free Member

^ Depends how bad it is, MIL didn’t really act quickly and he was limping for a couple of weeks, now is hobbling three legged.

I am out there next Tuesday for a few weeks.

Milkie
    Free Member

Most vets I know (3 of them) would try and look after the animal, rather than think of the money. If they think its worth doing, then it probably is..

Xylene
    Free Member

^

It’s not like that out there, it’s not about the money either. The whole not killing living things can get in the way of taking care of the animals, but I know of a decent vet near the house so will get him taken there for a second opinion before I get out there.

I hate the idea of Wednesday suffering.

bruk

Hi Quirrel,

Most vets would feel limb amputation is a positive result for the cat if the limb is not salvagable. What kind of tumour is it, some can spread elsewhere and then amputation is not always curative.

1 study recently showed that 94% of cat owners with 3 legged cats would do the same again and 89% regained normal quality of life.

3 legged cat owner perception study

I personally feel they cope better if they lose a back leg and have a fat 3 legged 15 year moggy lying on the foot of the bed as I type.

Would depend on cat’s lifestyle, type of tumour, other illnesses or injuries etc but generally I would suggest it over euthanasia in most cases.

Good luck and mail me (should be in profile) if you have any other questions.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Any vets in the house?’ is closed to new replies.