Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Any sparkies?
  • duckman

I want power to my shed,about 15 feet from the house, huge job?

montylikesbeer

Nah, but it depends if you are ok with "'lectrics"

Make sure you use armoured cable, bury it and fit an RCD to protect.

Correct earth bonding is essential.

So is cable size and fuse protection, what are you running out there in terms of total power consumption and how far away is it.

Also you need a consumer unit in the shed as well.

duckman

I am a plasterer to trade, electricity is witchcraft.Didn't unnerstan' any of that, but sounded scary.

montylikesbeer

Its like anything if its your trade then away you go.

My best advise if you are not sure is to find a mate who is a sparks and end any possible tears.

The last thing you want is flames or a dead cat and a smell of burnt tin

jumping_flea
    Free Member

TBH – if your not happy doing the connection work. Get the cable and install it undergroundand leave the rest for a qualified spark – don't want your shed (or house) burning down! 😳

prettygreenparrot

I'd go with Tom's advice. Burying the cable will be the most time consuming and least technical part. Making connections to the consumer unit and wiring the mini consumer unit in the shed is best left to professionals. Also, you get a neat certificate for the insurance company & subsequent house sale.

If you go this way, make sure you're generous on the amount of cable at either end. It is frustrating when you come to wire something in to find that a another inch or two would have made the job 30 minutes quicker.

What kind of power do you want in the shed? If it's only for lights you could use underground conduit, feed a lighting twin & earth through that & use a connector & RCD to a socket in the house.

funkynick

Well, if you have house insurance, and don't want to make it worthless in the event of a fire, you'll need a qualified sparkie to do the work as the consumer unit and the shed are both considered protected areas in Part P of the wiring regs. I believe the regs also cover burying the cable as well, so you might have to talk to the sparkie about that.

I've just gone through a lot of this when buying this house, as the previous owners had the work done at mates rates, and no certificate…

You can do it yourself but you'll need to go through building control at the council to get it all signed off correctly which would probably cost more than getting a sparkie to do the job!

I know why all this regulation has been introduced, to stop cowboy electricians, but it doesn't half make it a right royal pain in the arse.

oldgit
    Free Member

It might be 15' away from the house, but how near and convenient for the consumer unit.
    Have you got a spare way at the board?
    A shed, well a 2 way unit in the shed seems like over kill but that would give you protection at the shed for lighting and power.
    You could run a feed to a socket only? i.e similar to supplying and exterior socket.
    There's nothing stopping you having an weatherproof socket fitted outside, and then just run an extension lead to the shed when powers required. That would be useful for garden tools as well. But make sure you buy one that is weatherproof in use i.e the lid closes over the socket when a plug is fitted.
    Garage unit with two MCBs and RCD incommer £25.00
    2.5mm Armoured cable £1.00/metre approx
    16 watt 2D IP65 drum fitting (light) £15.00
    Weatherproof twin socket good one £30.00
    OR
    13A twin Metal socket £5.00
    1 gang metal switch £3.00
    Glands, cleats etc £10

duckman

Thanks all, obviously loathe to pay full whack for building work, but guess I will in this instance,just to put a pigging tumble dryer in.

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

As has already been mentioned, electrical work outdoors is covered by Part P of the building regs. You will need to have an installation certificate, and work in a garden is notifiable to LABC.

If you are in the Sheffield area, give me a call for a quote, or email jerry A T eco-electrics.co.uk or call 07967 093026

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Colleague died earlier this year while fitting power to his shed. Dont you trade-people just do jobs for each other en gratis?

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

Died of electricity, or otherwise? Either way, not a good way to go.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Yeah that didn't make much sense. He was electrocuted.

saladdodger
    Free Member

That is why the Part P is in existance

If you do not know what you are doing DO NOT DO IT

for the sake of a few quid

49er is bang on the ball

yes I am a frustrated electrician and fed up with folk without a clue. bet you would not play with a gas boiler and you can smell gas!!!

oldgit
    Free Member

Get to know that man, then a plumber then a mechanic.

Finding someone to certify your work will be near on impossible, my lot wont do it.

duckman

Plaster= safe, non boom potential, sparkie = " dinnae worry pleaster, eh've isolatit it fir ye." cue apprentice duckman making a whole floor of dundee dental hospital very dark and quiet one november morning, not to mentoinh a melted trowel and some burns

prettygreenparrot

if it's a socket you want to power a drier then definitely get an electrician in. It'll give you confidence in the job, a neat certificate and if they turn up the job'll get done. You can use the time you save riding your bike.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Any sparkies?’ is closed to new replies.