Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Any Solaris bods in the house?
  • Cougar

Long shot I know, but we have a need for a copy of Solaris 9 for SPARC. Sun used to give it away for free I believe, but Oracle’s stance seems to involve a support contract and the mortal soul of your first born.

Does anyone have a copy that they either require an offline backup of or would even be prepared to lend to me for a day or two?

Cheers,

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I thought you were in luck – just checked my software collection and I have Solaris 7 for Sparc and Solaris 8 for Intel.

You’re welcome to either if they’re of any use.

And you’re right, they used to be free.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I have an Intel version at home if that’s any use, not sure of the version but definitely >8

Cougar

Has to be SPARC I’m afraid, it’s for a Sun Blade 150 UltraSPARC-IIe.

I’m told it has to be v9 for compatibility with the Informix database the application uses (which confuses me as I’m sure I read somewhere yesterday that Solaris versions were binary compatible, but I know very little about it).

Saying that… can you install the i386 version on any old Intel server or does it have to be Sun hardware?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Any Intel, not necessarily server, if you want to out-geek the Linux geeks

deadkenny
    Free Member

Seems 10 and 11 are downloadable for free via OTN, but older stuff I guess is where you have to pay up, or they just don’t support so won’t offer it.

Same with the databases. 11g or newer only.

Cougar

older stuff I guess is where you have to pay up, or they just don’t support so won’t offer it.

You need a support contract and something called “vintage support” if the Internet is to be believed.

Any Intel, not necessarily server, if you want to out-geek the Linux geeks

Interesting. That may be another option. Ta.

woody2000

Informix database

Blimey, thought we were the only ones still using Informix 🙂

Cougar

The kit some of our customers are running needs carbon-dating.

scuttler

Wot no E10k?

Sun Blade 150 – truly disappointing.

Cougar

E-whatnow?

I believe I’m sorted now anyway, had a friend come through who never throws anything away.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to look for it / reply.

Cougar

Just as a coda to this,

The last time I heard Solaris even mentioned was back at University, so early 90s. By any measure, this request was unusual.

I’ve just had one of the support guys message me about an entirely unrelated problem for a different customer. “Hey, do you know anything about Solaris?”

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Any Solaris bods in the house?’ is closed to new replies.