• This topic has 13 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ton.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone use Berghaus Deluge trousers in the rain?
  • houndlegs
    Free Member

Evening
    As title really. Coming home today(luckily I had the van today), it was 3 to 4 degrees and raining, now I know I aint always gonna have the van, so was thinking about some overtrousers. Anyone use those Deluge ones? Or recommend something else? I’m thinking of something with large opening to get a boot through, and cheap enough to just stuff in a pannier and forget about until needed, not looking for £100 plus fancy goretex. I’m thinking more £20-£30 stuff.

ppapa
    Free Member

I imagine they will be baggy and sweaty. Look for 2.5/3 layer trousers.

fatbikedog
    Free Member

I have these and for the money they are brilliant. Wide opening and not sweaty, don’t notice you are wearing them. That said I don’t ride my bike with them on.

devash
    Free Member

They are really good for the money (can be had for as little as £30 if you shop around). There’s two versions now, one made out of the older AQ2 material, and another slightly more breathable version.

Some people really don’t get on with overtrousers and find they can get a bit sweaty. I’ve never had that problem though.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Just to clarify, I want these for on the bike. I don’t mind if I slow down a bit to avoid getting to hot and sweaty. I just don’t want to get too wet and cold.

devash
    Free Member

They are completely waterproof, so you won’t get wet from the outside. But getting wet from the inside due to sweat is just as bad, so it depends on how long your ride is / how much of a “sweater” you are.

houndlegs
    Free Member

devash, whats the newer more breathable material? Also, its a 15 mile each way commute, so I guess I could suffer.

devash
    Free Member

The old version is made of a basic material called AQ2, the newer version is made of something called Hydroshell and is supposedly more breathable (according to Berghaus).

In real world conditions I doubt there would be much difference though. If you’ve got a 15 mile commute then I’d probably invest in either some proper cycling leggings or Goretex Paclite / eVent overtrousers which will be much more breathable. I have a pair of Altura overtrousers (similar material to AQ2) and my legs are dripping with sweat after 5 miles on a cold day.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Cheers mate. perhaps I’ll rethink my approach.

matt_outandabout

I have them, and issue them as staff uniform.
    They are cut OK, tad too loose.
    Not as breathable as uber posh trousers.
    Tough, and stay waterproof a good while.
    They cost £35-45.
    The default over trousers imo.
    I trash trousers outdoors. I dont get spending £200 on something that I tear.

matt_outandabout

Edit: being baggier and less breathable, maybe a better cut would work on the bike… The vents work well.

Lummox

Keep an eye out for some paramo trousers on eBay. Although bulkier they’re far more comfortable and can be your only
    Layer. Loads of vent options with the legs and a soft fabric finish which is in my opinion excellent. – not a summer wear item though!

dragon
    Free Member

I’ve never had good experiences with waterproof trousers on the bike, they tend be hot, baggy, ride up and dump water into your shoes. Maybe try waterproof shorts with leggings underneath and just accept your shins will get wet, it ain’t going to kill you over 15 miles.

As for Beghaus Deluge trousers, they are great for their intended purpose as a mid-budget walking trouser. The vents mean for walking at least you don’t overheat.

ton

I use deluge pants for winter commutes. they are perfect for this.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use Berghaus Deluge trousers in the rain?’ is closed to new replies.