Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Any shops with sledges in stock still?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Stockport area

votchy
    Free Member

Redditch area?

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

I made a beutiful sledge this weekend out of ash and pine with metal runners a shaped and padded back it even has a brake.

It goes like the clappers and left kids on plastic sledges miles behind (yes that's right I'm a 30 year old man celebrating beating children to the bottom of a hill) :mrgreen:

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Hazel Grove DIY had a load in stock last time I passed. 0161 456 9993

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Cheers

nbt

gravitysucks – Member

Hazel Grove DIY had a load in stock last time I passed. 0161 456 9993

Just called, they sold out on the day the stock arrived. THr lad is at the wholesalers now so possibly more in later…

sharkbait
    Free Member

I made a beutiful sledge this weekend out of ash and pine with metal runners a shaped and padded back it even has a brake.

PM, what did you use for runners?

HTTP404
    Free Member

I used lengths of 2×1 treated timber for runners.
    Cut and profiled – then bought some strips of one inch aluminium from the local hardware store. Drilled and attached them to the runners.

Think you can get away without the aluminium but it saves a lot of pfaff with sanding and waxing.

aracer
    Free Member

I bet there will be loads on ebay in a week or two.

scruff
    Free Member

Theres loads of half sledges left over Cannock Chase. Bit of gaffer tape will see them sorted.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

Sharkbait,

I used some silver ash batton like strips I had left over, steamed it to get a curve using the bin as a mold and then got some old aluminium draw runners from an old map case and took them apart, I routed the bottom of the ash to get a lipped bracket and slid the runners on.

Android
    Free Member

If you cant get a sledge, drop into ATS or similar and get an old inner tube. I got a 16inch tube, blows up huge. Not quite as fast as runners, but good fun, especially if you have a delicate deriere.

wwaswas

I used a sheet of hardboard from the back of a wardrobe (with the white slippy stuff on it) formed over some shaped sides – really fast and because it has a flat bottom it'll work on snow that's not compacted as it 'floats' on top.

sharkbait
    Free Member

PM: Nice job sounds fantastic. My dad made a [trad] sledge about 40 years ago complete with aluminium runners. Not been used for years as the depth off snow hasn't been quite enough (plastic sledges seem to go better in thin snow), but I got it out on saturday, dusted it down, waxed the runner with my snowboard wax and put it to work.
    It was much faster than the plastic jobs 🙂 Hopefully dad was looking down on us and smiling.

GTDave
    Free Member

I made a very pikey cheap one.
    Car boot liner, £2 from B&Q:

Like this… http://www.kover-it.co.uk/images/233.jpg

Big lump of foam to sit on, and some rope threaded through the holes in the tarp to give something to hold on to.
    Completely uncontrollable, but will nail anything else in a race to the bottom of a hill! 😀

verses

I've been using a bit of the left over kitchen lino – it's chuffing fast, but could do with more padding when you inadvertently hit a disguised ramp!

iDave
    Free Member

I just made this in 45 min, £15 for the bits and bobs, sorted… just needs some old rope and it's ready for the thaw…

0091paddy
    Free Member

Saw some chavs last year that had left a headboard and a dog bed. Sure they made wonderful sledges.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Any shops with sledges in stock still?’ is closed to new replies.