• This topic has 23 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by ajf.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Any runners here?? New shoe advice please.
  • genesis
    Free Member

Am going to do some running training over the winter my Saucony shoes are a bit long in the tooth now, have size 12feet and weight 13.6st with a neutral pronation. Am considering doing some Tri's next year.
    Thanks.

uplink
    Free Member

Go get your running gait analysed – it's usually free

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Where are you based? If anywhere near London, I can highly recommend a trip to either Run and Become (SW1) or Sweatshop on the 5th floor of Harrods.

It's really worth a trip to a really good running shoe shop who can do gait analysis, as this will help you a great deal in getting a shoe that fits the way your body works.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I went to Sweatshop in MK and to be honest am disappointed. The trainers I bought are shi** they are uncomfortable and certainly didn't feel they did anything different to what you normally do, try them on and have a jog around in the shop! but I guess each shop is different and you may get better help. Next time I'm going back to the trainers I had before these as they were comfortable (and ones I bought when I had no clue!) but I liked them. Shame as I can't really afford to buy a new pair now which would be ideal! NEver mind I'll just bike more and run less so I don't have to wear them 😉

TooTall
    Free Member

I'd recommend somewhere like Advance Performance (P'boro and Cambridge) as the sort of 'proper shop' to go to. On the treadmill, filmed from behind, through about 6 different pairs of trainers, down to 3 pairs, ran around the car park in them, different shoes on each foot if you want, then select a pair. All with the support of one of the shop staff. Feet are now properly neutral and the shoes feel great.

ajf
    Free Member

I used to say get yourself properly assessed and buy the corresponding shoes to whatever your gait is.

Now I am not so sure, Now I run in lightweight racing flats shoes without any padding or a heel on them to get rid of all the control that running shoes give you.

I run circa 60 miles a week on a good week and now think that much of the hype about shoes and protection is just that HYPE!

But before ditching cushioned shoes, have a think about how you run. Heel strike or mid foot running? Have a look at pose and chi running, or the book born to run, then go get some good racing flats. Feel much better than heavy regular running shoes.

Or just keep shelling out a fortune on heavy restrictive shoes?

TooTall
    Free Member

ajf – I guess you are a nice neutral runner and very lucky.

cp

Wow, if I followed ajf's advice my right ankle and knee would hurt so much I wouldn't run anymore. Going to a running shop and getting proper advice was a revelation for me. If near Sheffield, Accelerate in Attercliffe is superb- tea, chat, video, narrow down a few pairs, then a few minutes outside run in each… Superb service!

nosemineb
    Free Member

+1 What ajf said.
    Couldnt agree more. Yes i am a neutral runner also, but when i used to heel strike, I had lower leg problems but now feel more comfortable mid to forefoot running with little cushioning and no issues. Maybe i believe a different hype or maybe i am lucky.
    Take your shoes off and run on a hard surface quickly, do you still run on your heels? For me it was uncomfortable and i needed to run on my forefoot to be comfy. Try it! Whats to lose? It took me a while to change my running style but was really worth it.

roper
    Free Member

There is far too much hype in running and the old/new don't heel strike is back in fashion. Strangely at the same time as a few running books and shoes which say you shouldn't heel strike too.

I think you should run according to the conditions. Try not heel striking on a steep down hill but also try running up hill and using your heel. The same applies to stride too. You can't stick to one stride length over rocks or even a pavement which has lots of curbs.

The best way to get suitable should is to try lots of different ones on. Run around the shop, on a tread mill or around the block. Take you time, listen to advice but think about what they will be used for. Then buy the ones which feel comfortable and don't feel like they are putting you under any strain from your feet up to your upper back and neck.

You don't have to get the most expensive or the latest model just something which suits your running style and needs.
    Good luck. 😀

surfer
    Free Member

There is too much hype surrounding running shoes and the bulk of it is marketing led.

What AJf says is partly true. Britain had some of its greatest athletic success when our top distance athletes were running high mileage in shoes that we would today call "plimsoles"
    I am harking back to the "good old days" however with the odd exception athletes 20 – 30 years ago were running faster times in shoes we wouldnt today do the garden in. I run with a friend who ran 14:30 for 5000 as a 40 year old a few years ago. He only runs in flats however he is naturally very light.
    Landing on the heel is unnatural most people land around the ball of their foot or around the forefoot area, shows still focus on heel cushioning however!

Having said that my advice would be to start with a neutral cushioned shoe, most brands do one so I wont recommend specifics just try them on and make sure they are comfortable.

genesis
    Free Member

Am based in Chester, would doing some running training with a Tri club help? I've also been told that some swim training/coaching would help massively as even though I can swim well being competitive takes a whole different technique.

surfer
    Free Member

The running aspect can be done with any group you find that will push you along. A typical running club would do that but a Tri club may mean you make friends with other triathletes which would help as your training would need to be specific to your event.
    Wirral AC are a good running club!

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

There's also a friendly and relaxed fell running club in North Wales called Clwydian if you like a bit more adventure to your running.

genesis
    Free Member

Thanks Daisy

surfer
    Free Member

There's also a friendly and relaxed fell running club in North Wales called Clwydian if you like a bit more adventure to your running.

Dont listen to Daisy he should come with a public health warning 😉

I'm still on the pain killers!!

Keva
    Free Member

I'm heel striker and suffered a heel spur last year which meant several months off running, it was a slow process getting rid of it.

Im in a training course at the moment so can't listen to the sound on this video at the moment but after watching the first minute and a half Im gonna try changing my style to more of a fore foot strike. I want lighter trainers as don't like my current 'supportive' ones – I only weigh 9stone anyway so should be able to do this.

K

stever
    Free Member

Chester Tri's a massive club – there's 69 of em doing our (Helsby) Half in Jan – sure you'd find some friendly faces to run with. I can put you in touch with a Pose coach if you feel the need for that kind of perversity in your life 🙂

There's a Tri shop in Chester that might help with the shoes.

ajf
    Free Member

ajf – I guess you are a nice neutral runner and very lucky.

No, my left ankle roll's out a lot when I heel strike, I have had tendinitus on both achillies, ITBS, runners knee, and various other problems. Hence I felt I needed to change from a heel striker. If you mid foot strike you will find that you don't over/under pronate at all also less impact on the knees as the foot and arches reduce much of the impact.

Took a while to change and it is a long slow process but there is a lot of scientific fact now that the running companies have been selling us short since the 70's.

http://bjsm.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/42/3/189
    http://bjsportmed.com/cgi/content/abstract/31/4/299
    http://www.sportsci.org/jour/0103/mw.htm#_Toc535425249
    http://www.quickswood.com/my_weblog/2006/08/athletic_footwe.html

There is far too much hype in running and the old/new don't heel strike is back in fashion. Strangely at the same time as a few running books and shoes which say you shouldn't heel strike too.

Its not a recent thing either, coaches have been saying this for years but not enough people have listened. Look at Gordon Pirie's free book "running fast and injury free"

Your right though, too much hype. Have you read the features of some of the new running shoes? More technology than nasa! 🙂

You mentioned off road. I am primarily a fell runner. I mid foot strike on the fells, especially when its rough ground. (feels more nimble) and even when descending as you get more grip (more stud contact) and less chance of twisting an ankle. Obviously when its really steep or scree or soft grassy/muddy slopes then the heels dig in.

But horses for courses, it is a real bind changing style and you will slow down and ache before you start feeling the good effects so if you are a tootler or recreational runner then there may be little to gain from it. If your doing high or mid milage then there probably is.

If you can't be bothered changing then just get some nice neutral shoes that are not too built up. They are all pretty much the same.

matt_bl
    Free Member

Apologies for the hijack.

I am switching from very supportive trainers to some Vibram Five fingers and really enjoying the nimble, for want of a better word, style of running when my weight is more on the front foot.

The only issue I have is the stellar calf pain the day after, am I overdoing it and will I acclimatise after a time?

Matt

surfer
    Free Member

Gordon Pirie's free book "running fast and injury free"

Pirie is a good example of a world beating distance runner who managed to break world records in very low tech footwear.
    He did have a few quite odd ideas with regard to training.
    A fantastic athlete however.

nosemineb
    Free Member

Ajf again + 1. Well put. Which fell races do you do, recently done wassdale show and Guisboro three tops. Just entered Auld lang syne on new years eve to.
    Took me months of calf tightness after switching to forefoot running, but it gets easier [eventually]. Then you get faster!

genesis
    Free Member

Thanks for the help, went running with Chester Tri on Tues night and had a suprisingly good run. Now looking into entering my first Triathlon next year.

ajf
    Free Member

Which fell races do you do, recently done wassdale show and Guisboro three tops. Just entered Auld lang syne on new years eve to.

This years highlights have included Wasdale, Borrowdale, Rab Mountain Marathon, Sedbergh. Done a load of other races as well. Probably getting near 25 races this year?

Got tour of pendle in a couple of weeks then its time to chill on the fell racing until the new year.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Any runners here?? New shoe advice please.’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts