Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Any reason not to get a carbon 456?
  • Hareydan
    Free Member

I need a frame for a few months while my full susser gets replaced (long story!). I don’t want to spend too much as it’s only a temporary measure, but I want something reasonable as it’s my only mtb for the next few months. It needs to be able to take 140mm forks and will be used for everything from all day rides to light downhill sessions (and when I say light, I really mean mincing down DH tracks!). Anyway, I was looking at the steel 456 and saw that, for an extra £100, I could get a carbon one. I’ve never ridden a carbon frame and haven’t ridden steel for about 15 years, so am unsure what differences/benefits there are to either, anyone got any advice or horror stories about either?

Thanks in advance!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Apart from looks (personal opinion) and if you don’t have the funds I don’t see why not.

There must have been 10 threads on these in the last week alone.

Blimey I must have got out of bed on the wrong side 😉

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Apart from the looks of the c456 I just don’t *get* a carbon LT HT.

Hareydan
    Free Member

Fair point Mosey, just did a search and found a handful of threads I’d missed 😳 . Andy, what’s not to get? I need a LT hardtail and thought a carbon one would just be a lighter version of a steel/ally one? Not got a lot of experience of carbon so wondered what you meant by that? That headtube does look short mind…

matt303uk

When the C456 came out I thought it was such a wrong idea having a LT HT made from carbon but having recently got one it seems to take the best elements of a lightweight HT and long travel HT and combine them into one fun and light package. Will be interesting to see where they go with the ‘progressive’ geometry of the new 456s.

Northwind

I wouldn’t buy a steel one personally, really not a fan at all, but I do like my plastic one. Finish is pretty poor- it chips very easily, though the top clearcoat is just cosmetic anyway so it’s no different from scratching paint.

But yeah… Good bike, solid handling, nice feel, not too stiff not too bendy, weighs nowt, seems strong. Can’t complain really.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Much better than the steel version. Don’t know why but the steel version felt a bit numb and sluggish, more than a few lb of weight would suggest.

I don’t get why ‘long travel’ shouldn’t be as light as possible, so long as its strong enough?

Strong, light(ish) and cheap. No reason not to!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Any reason not to get a carbon 456?’ is closed to new replies.