Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Any problems with the Downs Link and SDW to Eastbourne? Bridge closure?
  • nuke

Considering cycling offroad from Denbies (Dorking) to Eastbourne tomorrow if I get my bike sorted…NDW -> Downs Link -> SDW.

As per my usual last minute planning, does anybody know of any problems along the route and, if there are, are the diversions clearly signposted? Read that there is a bridge closure over Southease river?

Thanks

rewski
    Free Member

Just out of interest where to you link the two? Drop into Friston Forest whilst you’re in Eastbourne.

rewski
    Free Member

Got it. New one on me, will give it a try myself.

http://explore.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/os_routes/show/1263

seanoevil
    Free Member

anyone got a decent map of that one above (posted by rewski). Looks like a nice ride in the spring sun….

anjs
    Free Member

NDW links up with Downlink at St Marthas Hill. This first section of the Downs Link is very sandy and quite hilly until you get down to the old railway line.

The SDW meet s the Downslink just South of Upper Beeding

cyclistm
    Free Member

Bridge at Southease is def open

tomaso
    Free Member

I grew up where the SDW finishes and recommend the following pubs :mrgreen:

The Tiger in East Dean (between Friston and Eastbourne)

The 8 Bells in Jevington (inland and up the hill from Friston)

The Pilot at the bottom of the hill that forms Beachy Head (in the village of Meads on way to seafront)

I’d rate the beer and food for them in the order they are posted. I really miss Harvey’s Best

nuke

Cheers folks. Bike is fixed and route sounds clear of problems.

It’s going to be a long day (Reckon about 85 miles) 😀 Hopefully get all the way but we’ll see how it goes.

rewski
    Free Member

nuke – how many miles in total? Thinking of doing it picking up NDW in Caterham.

nuke

I use to live in upper Caterham…be a nice route adding about 15 miles to my route…reckon you’d hit 100 miles. I did the route before from Denbies but only to Devils Dyke and that was 50 miles although that might have included some of the route back into Brighton to catch the train.

I’ve done Devils Dyke to Eastbourne before…35 miles odd but lots of hills.

rewski
    Free Member

Sounds like an epic, guess there’s alway plenty of places to bail out, spend a lot of time in Eastbourne so ride a lot in the area.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Any problems with the Downs Link and SDW to Eastbourne? Bridge closure?’ is closed to new replies.