Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Any planning experts on here!?….
  • the-muffin-man

Summary of our position…

• We and existing brick built shed that isn't connected to the house
    • We need an outside loo
    • Can we put a loo and handbasin in this shed without planning permission (it probably had one in years ago anyway)? There would be no external alterations to the shed.
    • We are on a shoestring so could really do without having to spend on plans and submitting them!

…thats about it!

Cheers

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

We need an outside loo

😯

nickjb
    Free Member

Shouldn't need planning but will need building regs sign off (some exceptions for listed buildings, conservation areas, etc)

The government website is pretty good:
    planning portal clicky

donks
    Free Member

I personally wouldn't even get building regs sign off….if you had to take it out in the future it shouldn't be a massive issue! think how many people have new bathrooms fitted or an old cupboard converted into a cloakroom and theres no real requirement for building regs sign off.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

The government website is pretty good:

yes i agree but be warned… i consulted the planning portal over the installation of a flue in my property and it 'seemed' fairly clear that i did not require planning just compliance with building regs.

so imagine my amazement when the utterly lovely lady (you can guess at this stage the matter was resolved in my favour) from planning who ended up coming out after a complaint was received about said shiney new flue, when shown said info on the pp site, said 'the planning portal is not necessarily correct'.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

As per donks – just do it. You certainly don't need planning permission. Technically I think you would need BR approval but it's not an issue unless you want to sell.

How are you going to do the drainage?

the-muffin-man

How are you going to do the drainage?

It would be about a 15ft through the garden into an existing manhole. We'd get a local builder we know to do them to the correct fall, depth and building regs etc.

I reckon I'll wing-it – what's the worst that can happen!

Ta

loddrik
    Free Member

Out of work planning officer here….

You'll only need planning permission if the unit were to be utilised as a separate dwelling. So whilst it may be a shed, if you were to put say, a sink, toilet and then a kitchentte in (and don't laugh, I have seen it done!) it would then have the capacity to constitute, and be utilised as, an independent dwelling.

You won't need PP for the toilet but it may be worth speaking to the local building control dept with regards building regs. Don't write in if you want a quick response though, better to go to the office as they will have a Duty Officer who can answer any questions.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Just get it done!

Best advice I can offer however, is make sure you do the drains, electrics and incoming water feed correctly.

You won't have any issues then.

mk1fan
    Free Member

I'll save you the effort of wasting the BC dept time. You're creating a new drainage run and connection into an existing manhole/inspection chamber. You're extending a cold water, hot water and electrical supply too? You'll need Building Control Approval.

If you think it used to have a toilet in it then why would you need a new drain run? Why not re-use the old one?

The fact that other people undertake works without approval doesn't indemnify you to do the same. The fact that you're short of money doesn't allow you to do what you like.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Any planning experts on here!?….’ is closed to new replies.