Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • any pipe smokers here?
  • tree-magnet
    Free Member

I assume you meant "counter act", but I think I prefer "counter ace" tbh. 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Maybe they will counter act(e) each other.

and he'll live forever? Cool

Drac

Oops!

jon1973
    Free Member

Imagine if you smoked and mountain biked.

How would you stop the smoke/ash from getting in your eyes, affecting you vision and possibly causing an accident?

The combined effects from smoking AND using a mountain biking are clearly greater than the sum of their parts.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Anti-smoking nazis make we want to start smoking.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

shouldn't you also be doing crack, smack and terrorism then ? My objection to pipe smoking is entirely aesthetic…

Wiksey
    Free Member

What tyres for pipe smoking?

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Schwalbe Coughing Colins

coffeeking
    Free Member

No-one's said don't smoke, just pointed out the negatives! 😆 If you're that easily persuaded I need to get thinking of negative sides to giving bikes away free.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

Wiksey – Member
    What tyres for pipe smoking?

LOL

meehaja
    Free Member

I'd quite like a pipe… sort of weird "hobby" I'd enjoy, and I do enjoy a smoke occasionally, but don't like cigs or cigars (rolly's ok if its nice baccy). Any recommendations?

avdave2

Imagine if you smoked and mountain biked.

Don't Marins come with a pipe holder just in case you want to tackle anything that requires both hands on the bar?

hora
    Free Member

My Great Grandfather smoked a pipe all his life.

However they didnt add additional carcinogenic substances in back then did they?

Smoke a pipe? WTF? Just smoke a cig. At least it has some sort of filter on it. Your just getting the full unadulterated evil into your lungs (including the TAR that **** your lungs proper).

Smoke pure weed- be better than the shite above.

meehaja
    Free Member

you have to weigh up the pros and cons…

Bad,
    cancer,
    death,
    COPD
    smells bad

Good,
    being able to stand under the sign at work that says "cigarette smoking is not allowed" whilst blowing smoke rings?

ok, perhaps bad out weighs good, but just once would be worth it!

closeactionchris
    Free Member

Been a regular pipe smoker for the last 30 years, and a competitive roadie for the same amount of time. Been a mountainbiker since '91.
    I've managed to spend several seasons as a 2nd cat roadie, and had a good number of wins (not in MTB races, I'm a bit shite at the old bike-handling).
    The lungs are working just fine, as pipe smoke is not inhaled. Also it contains no added carcinogens (like they put in fags).
    Noobs to the pipe need to go with aromatics, as they smell nice and are easier to keep lit.
    I get all mine from the Old Virginia Tobacco Co. in the states, which saves me about 90% on UK prices.
    Make friends with an American services person, and they will get it delivered to them on base and save the Uk duty. Of course, I would never do that myself…….
    As for bad breath, I have encountered plenty of non-smokers with "breath straight from the devil's backside" due to poor oral hygiene.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

as pipe smoke is not inhaled

why is it done then ?

hora
    Free Member

why is it done then ?

To replicate that Sherlock-Holmes thinking stance when solving crimes

Squidlord
    Free Member

You can absorb nicotine through the mouth.

Sorry for the thread resurrection (I usually kill them), but I just got one too!

bedmaker

You can absorb nicotine through the mouth.

As I noticed the one time I tried chewin tebacca. Felt quite squiffy in a not totally unpleasant way quite quickly.

Haze

Smokers live faster.

yunki
    Free Member

why not stop beating around the bush and really give your respiritory system a treat..?

schrickvr6
    Free Member

As I noticed the one time I tried chewin tebacca

Better known as Chewbacca, or Chewy to close friends

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Even by the standards of STW there is a lot of BS on this thread.

<lecture>Pipe tobacco may not have the added chemicals you get in fags but tobacco is inherently carcinogenic so it’s still a risk…. and the fact that you don’t inhale still means you’re at risk of oral cancer. Same with chewing tobacco incidentally – remember the furore over Skoal Bandits a few years back?

As for the suggestion of smoking pure weed, well that’s also a risk factor for lung cancer – ironic that Bob Marley is a bit of a poster boy for the benefits of ganja considering what he died of.

I’m all for personal choice and all that but there is also the passive smoking factor to consider.

Sorry if all this is a bit self righteous but I saw my Dad die (horribly) from lung cancer – I can’t believe anyone would seriously consider taking on any form of tobacco smoking as a “hobby”.</lecture>

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmLdQIYf4WY[/video]

yunki
    Free Member

you know it makes sense..

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

See – it really does stunt your growth too…

TheBrick
    Free Member

tree-magnet – Member
    but generaly speaking pack it a 3rd full, pat down to compress it to half full and then top up to a 3rd full again.

This does not make sense 1/3 < 1/2 hence you can’t pack down a 1/3 into a 1/2.

Squidlord
    Free Member

I think he meant 2/3 packed down to 1/2

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘any pipe smokers here?’ is closed to new replies.