Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Any off road commute options from Strines to Altrincham?
  • senn
    Free Member

Anything to add in as a bit of interest to an otherwise urban and occasionally quite busy road route? The two roundabouts at Sharston both going and coming home and the Brooklands roundabout coming home are a long way from being a delight.
    Even just the odd little bit of trail would do. I’ve done the TPT to Sale Water Park and then straight up to Altrincham but it’s boring as hell.

senn
    Free Member

Nothing at all?

crazy-legs

Just off out on the bike but I’ll post back later. I’ve got an off road route into Manc from there. You might want to find simondbarnes on here too cos he works Altrincham way. Between us we should be able to work something out!

simondbarnes

I like the Trans Pennine Trail & the canal so doubt I’m going to be much help 🙂

I also have no idea where Strines is.

nbt

from strines you’re ok with “interesting off road so far but there aren;t that many alternatives. Up the valley past roman lakes, down the canal past chadkirk chapel, cross the road and up along the river valley to the back of bredbury hall, you can then nip onto the TPT

I’ve once or twice done a loop with binners that went from altrincham to cheadle, down to handforth dean, across to the airport then back up through sale along the canal. you might find something on that one?

best bet is to get out riding with people and see which bits you can link together. Manchester mountain bikers and Twisted wheels will be your best bet for the Sale end of your ride

senn
    Free Member

Even just odd little bits to link it up would be better than the crap road commute especially if I can avoid Sharston and Brooklands roundabouts.. The Mersey is draggy, bland and boring.

crazy-legs

I’d head onto the canal towpath rather than Roman Lakes. Up Brickbridge Road, take the towpath all the way down to Romiley. From there you can thread through a little bit of back lane and off road which brings you out at Bredbury Hall. Then pick up the Mersey.

Not perfect and there are probably more direct routes but they’d all go through Stockport…

banks
    Free Member

Used to have client in altringham so from marple i just stuck the road until bredbury then jumped on the mersey, never managed to make it interesting thou.

senn
    Free Member

All roads ( canal and bridleways ) lead to the Mersey then? Thanks for the help though. Much appreciated.

HindlePie
    Free Member

There’s not a great deal really. There’s certainly nothing between Brooklands roundabout and Altrincham.

There are however some slightly interesting urban footpaths you can take from the Mersey at Parrswood through to Handforth Dean and then onto the airport (I think this is what ‘nbt’ is on about). Previously you used to be able to peel off this route and along Ladybrook Valley to Poynton but I think there’s hundreds of stiles in the way now.

I work in Altrincham and live in Sale. Would be happy to show you this stretch or e-mail me and I could possibly send a map.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Any off road commute options from Strines to Altrincham?’ is closed to new replies.