Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Sorry, titanium road bikes, which one??
  • sundaywobbler

Have convinced myself that a new road bike is needed and am thinking that as I am turning into an old man I should have a titanium road bike within the n+1 stable.

Currently I’m severely leaning towards an Enigma, is there any others I should be considering (I’d love a Se7en but they are just too much money!) Have considered Van Nicholas, Burls, and Kinesis currently and am thinking that if I buy a Ti roadie then I should spend a few quid on it.

Over to the wonder that is STW…

Sunday

cheers_drive

The Kinesis gets a very good write up on road.cc.

Have you considered stainless steel? 😀
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/new-sunday-best-953%5D

sundaywobbler

That is one very pretty bike!! You should be properly pleased how that turned out.

There is a small part of me that is telling me to buy a frame and put it in my office and build up slowly buying bits every week… That would improve the grind of work!

cheers_drive

I couldn’t do that. Once I had the frame it has to be built.
    Luckily I had time to buy the kit whilst I was waiting for the frame. If not it would have cost me much more.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Moots? You will certainly spend a few quid on one of those!

RoganJosh
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of litespeed over the years, they’re mint. Think a lot if ti bikes have quite a talk headtube with sloping top tube, I’ve struggled to get the bars low enough in the past, but that depends on your preferred position.

ElVino

I did a lot of research when I bought mine and tested a fair few including Enigma, Vab Nicholas and Lynskey. I ended up buying a Cube Ti which is not in the range any more but if the Kinesis had been available it would have been a top contender. I owned a couple of their Maxlights and one road bike over the years and always liked them. fat birds is a good place to start as they have a great range and are very good people to deal with.

martello
    Free Member

I know these are on the ‘HOW MUCH?!!!!’ scale of the titanium builders divide, but it doesn’t stop you from looking 🙂

Passoni
    Legend
    Crisp (An American builder based in Tuscany)

Enjoy!

sundaywobbler

I did take a look at Moots but they may be a trifle over budget…

Not looked at Litespeed.

And I probably would get impatient if I built it up in my office!

YoKaiser
    Free Member

sunday wobbler…got to be a Sabbath then 🙂

sundaywobbler

And Litespeed frame on sale at Evans!

waveydavey
    Free Member

Why would you be sorry?

sundaywobbler

Sorry because it’s road bikes, some people are not big fans are they…

Sabbath are available at Fatbirds which isn’t that far away from me but haven’t heard a lot about them?

Those Legend’s and Crisp’s are things of beauty!!!!!!

misinformer
    Free Member

There a UK startup called Baldwin doing frames made here in the UK using American tubing not that Chinese crap and I’m sure they have a brand advocate schems ,ill try and find a link to the newsletter

waveydavey
    Free Member

Sorry because it’s road bikes, some people are not big fans are they…

Its a bike, no need to be sorry, get on it and enjoy, enjoy it till your legs fall off.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Ti, road bike. try before you buy if possible. For years I coveted a Litespeed Vortex, finally got the dough together to buy a frame a few years back and hated it, sold it within 2 months. was just too flexy for me and didn’t seem to want to go where I pointed it.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Sabbath started out as Sunday bikes, road CC has a couple of reviews if I’m not mistaken. I should say I only mentioned as another option to look into, at the moment I’m quite smitten by the Kinesis GF Ti.

bookwyse
    Free Member

Ive got a Sabbath Silk Road, that I picked up just before Christmas. 2012 model with Tiagra, brand new from Trisports in Yeovil for £999.

Love the way it feels and the fact that I don’t have to worry about all of the salt and the crap that’s on the roads at the moment.

scotroutes

Based on nothing except my Amazon I’d certainly consider another Van Nicholas. Another name you might not have come up with yet is Travers. UK based and worth a look. I’m considering a 29er from them.

ransos
    Free Member

Love the way it feels and the fact that I don’t have to worry about all of the salt and the crap that’s on the roads at the moment.

Why would you worry about salt? Carbon and alu don’t rust, and steel’s painted.

BadlyWiredDog

I have a Lynskey-made, Planet X, Ti Pro Road and while that frame’s no longer available, it rides really nicely and I’d happily look at a similar Lynskey frame as a result. Mine’s a nice mix of compliance and pedalling solidness, not flexy at all.

sundaywobbler

Why oh why did Martello give me those brands to look at, I have fallen in love with Crisp!!! 8)

Thanks for the help so far folks.

brassneck

I’d love an Enigma, and if I had the cash allocated to buy one I’d go for that.

Was just going to suggest a Planet X (see above) on the strength of my Lynskey Ti456, lovely bike.

Ive got a Sabbath Silk Road, that I picked up just before Christmas. 2012 model with Tiagra, brand new from Trisports in Yeovil for £999.

Sounds a bargain, seen a couple of Sabbaths and liked them too.

What a lovely dilemma to have 🙂

martello
    Free Member

I’m glad i could ‘help’ 😀

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Well to throw another brand into the mix have a look at Mosaic as well

Mosaic cycles

Solo
    Free Member

I’ve treated myself to an Enigma Excel custom frame. Bike is weighing in at 7.7Kg, frame came out at 1.4Kg. Very pleased with the frame and it was good, dealing with Mark Reilly and the team at Enigma.

AlasdairMc

scotroutes – Member
    Based on nothing except my Amazon I’d certainly consider another Van Nicholas.

I have a Van Nicholas Mistral and I’m really impressed with it. I rode my LeJog on it and it was comfy throughout. It does feel a bit noodly at times, like when you’re putting power down out of the saddle you can get some brake rub, but other than that it has been flawless. Just make sure you put copperslip on the seatpost as once seized it’s never coming out…

TiRed

Do you know what geometry suits you sir? Or are you thinking custom? To be honest, geometry will count more than frame material for small tube bikes. It will be light, but not THAT light unless it is made from some higher end tubes (My alloy TCR is the same weight as cheap Ti).

For me Moots, then perhaps Litespeed. Enigma if UK built is a must. I’d avoid any of the more common brands for no oher reason than I’m rather snobbish and these are built down to the price the market can bear for Ti.

Disclaimer: I used to own a Merlin Cyrene. It was lovely to look at, lovely to ride. But The Giant Defy Advanced SL trounces it on every single riding characteristic!

mattbilliard
    Free Member

I have an Engima Echo and I really like it, nice and comfortable when you’ve been doing a few miles

MoreCashThanDash

Get yourself to Fat Birds, very helpful, wandered in off the street while on holiday nearby and ended up test riding a Lynsky built up with Ultegra. Been trying to save ever since….

ianpv

I’ve got a mk 1. Kinesis Gran Fondo. It’s a very nice bike – really comfy, really easy to ride. But I’m not as thrilled with it as I thought I may be. I sold my race bike last year due to ill health (Cervelo S2) which was more exciting in every way, as you’d expect, but for me it may have been a bit of a mistake. The Gran Fondo feels a lot more like my genesis equilibrium than my S2 (which, again, you’d expect).

TBH, now I’m back on the bike and trying to get some fitness back, I miss having a super fast race bike (S2) and a solid winter bike (equilibrium). I’d hoped the GF would do both, but it is kind of a luxury winter bike I think. Not saying it is a bad bike by any means, I probably just made a bad decision when faced with 6 months off the bike. I need to get a fast set of wheels on it before I make any rash decisions (I’m running 32 spoke hope/open pros, which are solid, but not quite as nippy as the deep reynolds I had on the S2), but I can see myself replacing it with something carbon and stiff for the summer…

sundaywobbler

I’m loving this, all the opinions, viewpoints and options are ace!

I knew coming on here and asking would give me some choices I hadn’t heard of or hadn’t thought of.

The Crisp is still winning at the moment, although I keep getting swayed back to Enigma.

Has anyone got any opinions on Spin?

bookwyse
    Free Member

Why would you worry about salt? Carbon and alu don’t rust, and steel’s painted

Less likely to damage it if/when I do come down than the carbon, don’t have aluminium and the steel Colnago is a summer only bike.

adsh
    Free Member

I’ve got a brand new not even out of it’s box 57cm Enigma Esprit Ti frame for sale which would save you a considerable amount………..

soulboy
    Free Member

I can recommend taking a good look at Burls. His frames are completely bespoke, well-built and reasonably priced. I love mine!

http://www.burls.co.uk/reviews.php

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Another Burls owner here, all I would say is make sure if you buy Ti you get a replaceable derailleur hanger in there.

Solo
    Free Member

if you buy Ti you get a replaceable derailleur hanger in there

Aye, when I was looking, I found that quite a few frames didn’t have a replaceable mech hanger (might be different nowadays). Obviously Enigmas’ include this feature.

My previous ride was an ali frame, giant TCR. The Enigma rides very comfortably and theres not perceivable flex. But then, I don’t bounce when I ride an FS MTB either.
    😉

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I tried a Ti frame but decided I prefer my frames to be stiff, so I bought Carbon in the end but do appreciate the simplicity of the lines on Ti bikes. I also have an all Alu CX and an Alu with carbon forks for shitty weather, the difference between them is very noticable.

TiRed

That Litespeed T5 from Evans looks excellent value for money. (The Most) Established name, sporty bordering on race geometry, longer headtube. Other than the PF bottom bracket, I’m strugling to see reasons not to go for one myself – rigidity for racing, mainly.

postierich
    Free Member

September Sabbath owner here love it mainly used as my commuter but it loves a long ride 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Sorry, titanium road bikes, which one??’ is closed to new replies.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.