Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Any Mac guru's here – Malware 'InstallMac' removal
  • luffy105
    Free Member

My wife let the kids play crappy free games on her macbook pro and now safari has redirected to this installmac screen which, after a bit of googling, seems to be some sort of malware. How do i get rid of this?

I’ve always used pc’s and had full corporate anti-virus software so never really had any problems and after searching google all i can find are shonky websites offering something else to download in order to remove it and that doesn’t seem right. Can anyone point me to a decent set of instructions or recommend a decent bit of software…

also, apart from never letting the kids anywhere near the computer how do i prevent this from happening again?

For info: this malware seems to have originated from a game website called happy wheels

thanks in advance

Three_Fish
    Free Member
    luffy105
    Free Member

Thanks Three Fish…. Have also read in a newer post in the apple forum their uninstaller doesn’t remove the software completely and it just comes back in a week or so….

Three_Fish
    Free Member

That’s using the Genieo uninstaller?

See also tcsadmin orange-highlighted reply further down the page.

luffy105
    Free Member

Apparently so…

The problem is that I know bugger all about Macs and how they operate as I never use one.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Did you read all of that forum discussion? There’s quite a bit on the other stuff you need to do, and also a Genioe alternative in the form of AdwareMedic.

http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php

Always worth doing a search for any non-App Store apps/programs before installing, though, see if any advisories crop up.

rewski
    Free Member

Be careful most of the removal apps are rubbish, you need to delete the malware file from the activity monitor in the utilities folder, and remove the extension in the browser you’re using. I can’t remember the exact steps but you’ll find it if you google activity monitor, good luck.

Sandwich

Also from a read of that thread and associated links; the procedure is remove everything and then empty the trash. Don’t empty as you go or you could be in for a world of re-installing fun or a bricked machine.

rewski
    Free Member

I recall the only way to erase the file from the trash is by using the activity monitor. I had a right stubborn one that kept re-installing and taken over all my browsers with russian bride and mac security sites, I traced it down to minecraft skins that my son was innocently downloading.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Any Mac guru's here – Malware 'InstallMac' removal’ is closed to new replies.