Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Bird Aeris Demo
  • AlexSimon

Finally managed to get a demo on the new Bird Aeris yesterday.

Ben Pinnick from Bird very kindly drove up to Cannock after being pestered for a couple of months!

We rode for 29km of Cannock’s splashiest trails including, Dog, Monkey and 3 runs down Stile Cop.

It was a fantastic day out. Really really enjoyed it.

I rode a medium orange bike kitted out with SLX 2×10 drivetrain, Pikes, Zee brakes, the X-fusion shock and their own carbon wheels (I didn’t check to see what hubs).

Ben rode a large green bike (decals are black on production model). That was zee 1×10 with turbine wheels.

I really enjoyed the ride.
    For some reason (and I can’t quite put my finger on why – maybe the forward geometry, maybe the shock curve), it rode like less of a handful compared to other similarly slack bikes I’ve tried.
    I rode it in 140mm mode all day and had a blast.

Obviously this is Cannock, and not my local Peak District, but I kept trying to seek out rocks, roots and steps to test it out. I’m fairly confident I got a thorough impression of it.

The best thing I can say about it is that the bike was fairly invisible and just let me get on with riding. A bit like the Pike forks that I’ve ridden a few times now.
    Pedalled really well (we even had a road drag), and even though it wasn’t as poppy as my Maverick, it still felt as good as anything I’ve ridden this year.

Anyway – A deposit has just been made on a shiny orange one. Now I’ve got to wait and hope my current bikes can get me through the winter!

Other bikes I’ve ridden in the quest for my perfect bike were:
    Knolly Warden with CCDBCS (Love the look of these, but felt overbiked for the first time. I would like to test again with different shock settings. Stiffest rear end by far. Also the new Endorphin might be more my style)
    Bronson C with CCDBCS (felt pretty good, but a little bit stuck to the ground)
    Solo C with Fox CTD (liked)
    Specialized Stumpjumper Evo Carbon 29er (little bit stuck to the ground but not as bad as Specialized-of-old and I also decided I didn’t really want 29er steering)
    Banshee Spitfire (shock was a little broken and didn’t have a dropper, but I still liked it – firm and fast)
    Banshee Phantom (best 29er trail bike I’ve ridden)
    Banshee Prime (also really liked – for just ploughing through everything yet still being poppy – heavy though).

Did the bargain price of the Aeris sway me? – maybe – but also Ben’s attitude and speccing knowledge helped (and the fun colours). It turned it into a no-brainer vs the Solo which was coming in at £4700! Even the Banshees were difficult to build less than £3500 now that the prices are steadily climbing.

Here’s a quick vid of me making a bit of a hash of some jumps at Stile Cop:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvUk264H144[/video]

br
    Free Member

I’m liking the look of those; when I’m due down South next I’ll give them a call about a demo around Swinley.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Good to get some real life feedback Alex, I am also looking at an endorphin or spitfire, but the bird has defiantly caught my eye also now, did you pre order just a frame or a bike (which spec)

deadkenny
    Free Member

Demo weekend at Swinley on 15th & 16th November by the way. Though might be already booked up.

We're pleased to announce another demo day – this time a whole weekend at our spiritual home – Swinley Forest. We'll be…

Posted by Bird Cycleworks on Monday, October 6, 2014

singlesteed
    Free Member

My goodness, you do look like a reet sexpest :d

Bloody good review there and ya did alright not to case that double (thumbs up)

AlexSimon

jameswilliams54 – Member

Good to get some real life feedback Alex, I am also looking at an endorphin or spitfire, but the bird has defiantly caught my eye also now, did you pre order just a frame or a bike (which spec)
    I’m getting a full build – It’ll take me days of pouring over specs to decide. In theory, I’m trying to stay within 3k, but build the lightest version of it I can.

singlesteed – Member

My goodness, you do look like a reet sexpest :d
    Ha – you should have seen my ‘tache last week!
    (I’ll stick it in the Knolly thread so you can have a laugh).

chiefgrooveguru

Looks great!

Am I being stupid or is it impossible to find any detailed info on the Aeris on their site? Ah… more hunting, it seems there is a ‘shop’ site and another site with everything else on it.

http://www.birdmtb.com/aeris-150-2/

It all makes a lot of sense. Very low BB and very long wheelbase, so could be too much bike on more twisty pedally trails but that’s a personal thing. What length cranks are they speccing?

AlexSimon

This is a good link to the build specs:
    http://blog.birdmtb.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Aeris-Launch-Pricing-23092014.pdf

It all makes a lot of sense. Very low BB and very long wheelbase, so could be too much bike on more twisty pedally trails but that’s a personal thing. What length cranks are they speccing?

Didn’t ask about the crank length. I thought it might be too much too, but Cannock is pretty pedally/twisty and I had no issues, despite not being used to a 785mm bar.

That was what sold me really. Many other bikes I’ve been on that are similarly slack/long/low felt like a compromise. I never really noticed that it on this (except that Cannock need to upgrade their tree-spacing to match current trends!)

v666ern
    Free Member
    akak
    Free Member

Is it running on bearings or bushings then? And is it named for the Final Fantasy character?

Their bikes and build options do look good.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Aeris 1 build would be pretty close to how I would do it myself

AlexSimon

akak – Member

Is it running on bearings or bushings then?
    Enduro Max Bearings apparently

AlexSimon

I’ve only just noticed the lack of bottle bosses 🙁 Ah well.

M6TTF
    Free Member

what do they weigh in at? lovely looking bikes

AlexSimon

I think the top one is 28.5lb
    The one I rode felt about 30lb to lift, but that’s just a guess. It was 2x, so maybe a touch more.
    Maybe Ben can chime in.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Someone on the Swinley facebook pages demoed one a little while ago – in Scotland maybe – and liked one so much he bought one – even though he has a carbon Bronson already.

I think he said the Bird was different enough from the Bronson to warrant it.

AlexSimon

A little part of me just wants to get the £1500 one (Add a dropper) just to see what a ripper it would be for the money!
    Especially as I didn’t have any problems with the X-fusion shock.

benpinnick

The 1550 model is around 31.8 lbs, down to just over 28 on a light build. I suspect Alex’s spec will be about 28.5.

Cranks are 170 standard, 175 on xl, 165 on xs. You can however change it out if you like.

benpinnick

PS – Not that I want you to change Alex… but yes the £1550 one is a total ripper! Its not the lightest out there for sure, but every component is totally sound and its better riding than a lot of bikes 2/3/4 times the price… but I would say that wouldn’t I?

br
    Free Member

Ben – I like the flexible build idea?

Will you supply cranks that can take a 28T front ring, as it’s rather hilly here 🙂

benpinnick

I’ve only just noticed the lack of bottle bosses Ah well.

Don’t worry Alex, I will throw you in an Osprey pack like my blue one, but in black (I know you would want a black one) for free for being a top guy and travelling down to demo the bike 🙂 They are the nuts. Anyone who wants bottle cage bolts probably doesn’t want an Aeris 😉

benpinnick

Ben – I like the flexible build idea?

Will you supply cranks that can take a 28T front ring, as it’s rather hilly here

All our Cinch cranked models run a 28 option…for free. Thats the Bird way!

chiefgrooveguru

Anyone who wants bottle cage bolts probably doesn’t want an Aeris…

I thought half lid, goggles and water bottle was the authentic Enduro (TM) look? 😉

benpinnick

Not any more. Now you need a FF helmet Enduro is all about the backpack.

On hubs, the ones you rode were some bird protos… on production carbons its DT 350 SPs.

AlexSimon

Ha! The bottle cage isn’t the biggest deal, but I like heading for the hills with a filter water bottle. It’s ok, you can get filters for a camelbak hose too!

Ta for the info on the hubs.

jockmcjock
    Free Member

I’m the guy who had an Aeris in Scotland for 10 days and as Turner Guy points out I was comparing it to my carbon Bronson, fitted with the same suspension (CCDBCS & Pike), but otherwise as the orange Aeris pictured above. I wrote some thoughts on the bike which Bird placed on their webpage called ‘My Aeris Adventure’.

Long story short is, in my mind, the bike is very different to my Bronson. It’s more lively, as stable, climbs a tad better and carries what weight it has very well. I rode 6-8hr days in Glentress, Innerleithen, the Perthshire hills and Laggan over 10 days and it felt comfy for big days out.

I’ve ordered a full build and spent some time with the Bird guys working out which model. In fact I left them with a smaller bill than anticipated, how often can you say that after negotiating a bike deal?
    Honest and direct with their advice, they’re bikers first and foremost which helps massively.

morpho1
    Free Member

Thanks for the post! How was the medium for size? I’m 5’10 and am struggling to decide between the medium and large given the longer top tube.

AlexSimon

I was worried too. Considered a small for ages. Then had a go on the med and it felt fine. Much like all the other Mediums (except the Rune – that was a tad short).
    I’m 5′ 10″ too.
    That 35mm stem makes all the difference.

M6TTF
    Free Member

And what lead times are you expecting for this beast?

deadkenny
    Free Member

On the length in general, having only briefly sat on one the immediate thing I noticed was it was a fair bit longer than my Nomad… which isn’t hard given Santa Cruz bikes being traditionally quite short 😀

Think it felt around the length of my c456, maybe a bit longer, not sure. Didn’t ride it anywhere, but the reach was fine for me.

Not sure what size frame that was Ben had with him at the time though. My Nomad however is a medium and the c456 a short (which is longer than the Nomad medium 😉 ).

jockmcjock
    Free Member

I’m a reasonably proportionate 5’10” and have a large Bronson, but the medium Aeris was perfect for me and what I’ve ordered. The forward geo gives you space across the bike but the design allows for plenty room below you to maneuovre the bike around easily.

matther01
    Free Member

Quick question. Does the Aeris sport cable guides for a non stealth dropper?

All the pics seem to show just one cable guide for the rear DR under the TT.

I’d be loathe to ditch my perfectly good standard LEV 🙁

benpinnick

No it doesn’t specifically as all but one model has a reverb stealth as standard… But we have offset the dual guides under the tt so you can either use the spare if 1x or strap a second line to the guides. There’s plenty of room to have another line zipped on and it will be hidden away from sight so you’d never know it was just tied on.

AlexSimon

Just been sent the final spec options to choose from.

This is the build I’m currently thinking.
    Will add my own OneUp 42t cog and Rad Cage.

Maybe the carbon cranks are a touch overkill?

Now it’s been a month from demo, I’m starting to question my thought that the X-Fusion shock was good enough. I bet most people are going with the CCDBinline or CCDB

Thoughts?

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah ditch the carbon cranks for SLX and upgrade to your choice of CCDB.

The rest looks good.

ska-49
    Free Member

Great spec.
    I’d definitely opt for the CCDB Air over any other shock.
    Mine feel’s fantastic and was a huge improvement over all other shocks I’ve tried.

The cranks are mainly asthetic. SLX or XT are fine and match your sepc but I’d stick with the Next’s if you can afford it.

njee20
    Free Member

Next SLs are very light (which you’ve said is a priority), but realistically you’ll notice a bigger change going to the CCDB I’d have thought.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

If it was my bike

Cranks I would go either SLX or Turbine Cinc 32t NW
    Shifter would be Saint
    Brakes would be Zee
    Shock would be CCDB Inline

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

CCDB and shimano cranks would both add weight though. It’d be as low and central as possible though so would have the least adverse impact on handling of any weight on the bike.

IME the X-fusion is fine on a trail center, and OK on normal trails, but felt a bit odd over rocky sections. Depends where you ride mostly, Peaks or Lakes I’d get the best and most reliable shock possible, trail centers and XC I’d get the X-fusion and peel the sticker off.

chiefgrooveguru

I’d go with Shimano cranks (SLX or XT), the CCDBA (ridiculously good!) and a 180mm rotor on the back too. SLX mech and Saint shifter ideally.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Bird Aeris Demo’ is closed to new replies.