• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by G.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Any lottery winners (ref helmet thread)
  • ampthill

Looks like winning the lottery and your helmet saving you from a serious head injury are in some ways linked odds wise.

null

The helmet thread seems to attract people who have been saved by their helmets, like me. Far more than would seem plausible if the odds of being saved by a helmet are 1 in a million. So I though we could compare it to a thread on lottery winners. If the odds are similar we should get as many lottery winners on this thread as saved heads on the other thread

I haven’t one the lottery but my wife has. 4 million jack pot but 4 winners. She was in a syndicate of about 65. Dead handy for our first house

cynic-al
    Free Member

how can you know the helmet saved you?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

As cynic al says.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    0091paddy
    Free Member

I’ve won twice on premium-bonds.

ampthill

Excellent point. Perhaps that is the problem with the other thread

I’m sure I was saved what from death or worse injury I’m not sure. Partly because the blow wiped my memory.

Facts

My forks failed and I took the full force of the crash on my head
    My helmet crushed but did not break
    I lost about an hour of my life memory wise

My conclusions

The force applied to my head was large enough to wipe my memory
    The helmet reduced the force on my head

I’m glad the force applied to my head wasn’t larger! Even if that increase in force wouldn’t actually have killed me. Bear in mind I was on my own lieing around unconcious isn’t good option

Finally and this point to me is crucial. I cannot construct any argument that would mean I was better off without a helmet

stevomcd
    Free Member

how can you know the helmet saved you?

You hit your head on a big rock. It doesn’t hurt. It isn’t rocket science, although some people seem to want to make it such.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ampthill – that one sounds quite clear.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

I have won the on the premium bonds too…and sustained whiplash by getting my helmet caught in a branch on some singletrack…no crash involved, and definately the helmets fault.

Remember helmets are for falls of 1m and less than 12mph with the weight of a human head in them. I am 1.8m tall, travel more than 12mph and weigh quite a bit more than my head. Energy = square of velocity. Helmets still have to obey physics.

SSP

firestarter
    Free Member

i fell from about four foot up at speed and hit my head. The helmet squashed and broke i was found spark out . I lost about three weeks of my life in intensive care im presuming the helmet served some purpose. But alas ive not won the lottery

jimw
    Free Member

I came off and managed to hit the side of my head on the only rock for 50m last year. The crack was loud enough for my mates 100m away ( yes as usual I was at the back of the pack) to get very worried. The side of the helmet just above my left temple was scored but not broken, the foam was crushed and partially split. I am convinced that if I had not worn the helmet I would have been very seriously hurt. None of us ever go out without helmets. On a related matter, I only ever buy Specialized helmets as they have a higher penetration protection standard than most- Snell B-90A. They may not be as good looking or efficient or trendy as other makes, but again I was sure glad I had one on that day.

julianwilson
    Free Member

My helmet crushed but did not break
    I lost about an hour of my life memory wise

TandemJeremy – Member

Ampthill – that one sounds quite clear.

Front wheel in ‘bottomless’ muddy puddle on woodbury common doubletrack and OTB to head, with obviously broken but not clearly not ‘disentegrated’ helmet and 1 hours memory loss here too. I didn’t even know where I was and for an hour after I had a memory span of a couple of minutes: mate kept having to reming me of what was going on. The funny thing was talking my friend through basic Neuro observations on me, and then piping up with the same ‘bright’ idea a further five or six times before i remembered I had already said it. I still have the helmet in a cupboard to remind me what might have happened.

So I suppose that makes me a lottery winner too. Stangely enough (in some circles here anyhoo), of the eight people I regularly ride with there are a further three ‘winners’ amongst us too by the ‘broken-ish helmet with memory loss/ 30 seconds plus of unconsciousness’ rule.

Who’d have thought, eh?

julianwilson
    Free Member

…i suppose by those odds my luck is running thin and there is little point in me doing the lottery.

G
    Free Member

Anyone mentioned Natasha Doo-hickey yet?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Any lottery winners (ref helmet thread)’ is closed to new replies.