Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • any heating system experts? (oil)
  • meeeee
    Free Member

Just installed wireless thermostat + programmer. The setup menu has a couple of options i’m not sure about:

Cycle rate (ie no of cycles per hour) – I’ve been told for oil i should set this to 3

Minimum on/off time – not sure about this, options are 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 mins. What should i set this to?

proportional band width? Default is 1.5 degrees, but i can select 1.5, 2, 2.5 or 3.

Its a pumped system (CH + HW) with oil boiler.

richmars

Not sure I can help, but guessing at the min. on/off time;
    Our oil fired boiler comes on just to keep the water at the set temperature. This is for about a minute every 20 minutes or so. It’s the main reason I turn it off over the summer and use the immersion heater for hot water. I’m guessing that lots of short on’s isn’t very efficiently, better to have longer off’s and longer on’s. (Possibly you get a higher burn rate at the start of a cycle).
    So controlling the on/off time may save fuel.

Sounds like a good bit of kit, what sort is it?

Dobbo

proportional band is the on off hysteresis so if the set point is 70DegC the boiler would come on at 69 and off at 71 with a 2DegC band, I’d go wider to stop it short cycling depending on your system size, then when it comes on it will stay on a bit longer and work a bit harder but the amount of cycles would be reduced.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    richmars

Seems all three of these options do the same thing: control the on off times, either by time or band width. Lots of experimentation for you to do!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘any heating system experts? (oil)’ is closed to new replies.