Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Any headphone experts about..?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

I am thinking of getting some decent headphones, open minded on in ear or over ear. Budget of up to £100. I mostly listen to 20 years worth of drum and bass so I’m after a set with serious sub bass capabilities.

Anyone recommend anything?

roach

You want to head on over to head-fi.

I’ve got Futresonics Atrio in ears which are excellent for sub bass and most dance music apart from maybe trance.

Also got a set of Sennheiser HD 25 1-11s which are good but maybe not bassy enough for drum and bass.

Could look at those bass monster Sony XB things http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDRXB700-Giant-Headphones-Driver/dp/B001UE6PE0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321613157&sr=8-1 or the XB500. Supposed to be good if bass is your number 1 priority 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sub bass headphones? Surely by definition subbase in inaudiable and somethign that’s ‘felt’, which no headphone is going to achieve short of ductaping a pair of eminence black widows to your head?

greeble
    Free Member

you need some Fanny Wang’s!

http://www.fannywang.com/

purely just for the name ofcourse!

vorlich
    Free Member

Grados?

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I like my Sennheiser HD25s, not sure if you can get them for £100, but you can get the ‘SP’ version. They’ve got plenty of bass and can be driven very loudly without distortion – and i’m into a bit of dub-step/tech trance/etc…

porlus
    Free Member

Hi

I’ve got a pair of Grado SR80’s, and they sound immense.
    Put my ancient Mordaunt Short speakers to shame (mind you
    they do have a bust tweeter on one of them lol)

Klunk
    Free Member

Grados if it’s for private listening, not good for public/office use.

goby

Got admit I love my grados sr80, use them everyday and listen to drum and bass, love the hospitality podcasts and work

mboy
    Free Member

GOT to be a pair of HD25’s if you like D&B… They’re the clearest phones I’ve used by some margin, and was doing a bass rolloff in one track I was making the other day, can still clearly hear down to sub 30Hz on my HD25’s… Don’t think any others I’ve ever tried come close to that!

OK, you won’t get a pair for £100, but mine are 7 years old now, get used all the time, home, uni, DJing, producing etc. and they’re as good as new… Prices seem to be around £130-160 depending where you buy them from.

On a seperate note, if you don’t wanna stretch to the HD25’s, the HD25SP’s are in a similar vein. They’re not as good, bass extension isn’t quite as far, and they do feel cheaper in use, but again they’re better than pretty much anything else out there.

Both are fully rebuildable/repairable also, and both will still be worth almost what you paid for them if/when you sell them a few years down the line. Take note Sony/Pioneer/Technics etc etc…

geetee1972
    Free Member

For £100 you’re just going to get another pair of headphones. Most likely it won’t make much difference what you end up buying unless you’re going to plug them into a dedicated headphone amp. What are you going to drive them with?

A lot of people here seem to love Grados but have audtioned several pairs recently (and ended up buying a decent set of phone with a headphone amp), I personally don’t like the Grados. The ones I listened to included SR80s, SR325s and the £1000 SR1000i. They were all pretty dry, uncomfortable and boring.

Sennheisers and Grados are more neutral (dry and boring), detailed and clea, Denon and Beyerdynamic tend to be tonally richer, slightly more forward and engaging.

Your key issues to decide are whether you go for open back or closed back or whether indeed whether you want in ear phones that are portable. With the bass requirements you’re looking for, I would suggest closed back designs would have an easier time and that Beyerdynamic would be a good brand to explore.

Karl33to
    Free Member

absolutely love my HD25sp’s infact got three pairs of them now, thanks to Concord!

If your wanting in-the-ear headphones, check out the Hippo VB’s – they can be a bit hard to get hold of, but are well under budget and perfect for DnB

mboy
    Free Member

Most likely it won’t make much difference what you end up buying unless you’re going to plug them into a dedicated headphone amp. What are you going to drive them with?

DEFINITELY not an issue with the HD25’s… They go LOUD if required… Very high impedence sees to this…

onandon
    Free Member

I love my bass and I love my Superfi 5EB’s. Super comfy and well balanced sound.
    loads of depth and will rattle your brain if pushed.

fibre
    Free Member

As said above the HD25 are a good compact headphone for bass driven music, I would get the MK2 version though. I had a set of the MK1 and the quality was good but I found the cutoff at the higer frequency noticeable, the range was 30-16000hz vs 16-22000hz on MK2. They were fine for mixing but for normal use it was noticeable. The HD25 are also good if you are using them in public and also want more punch, otherwise open backs if you want a more open sound (like the suggested Grado’s).

I love my HD600 but they are over budget unless you buy second hand, Play had them silly cheap (£100) for a few hours when I bought them last year. Definitely the best headphones I’ve tried but I don’t think I could stomach the normal going rate\RRP.

@ thisisnotaspoon – I found my HD600 (rated 12Hz – 39kHz) are quite noticable down to 25\30 hz not much at 20 unless at high volume, below that you can tell when it’s playing a test tone as your hearing feels odd (feel kinda queezy) but like you say sub frequencies are going to be felt not heard… 18hz in a club with a massive tuned setup is fun, that’s the frequency eyeballs start to shake :D.

cynic-al
    Free Member

HD25 it is – they are £50 SH on ebay, do it!

noskills
    Free Member

I would definitely recommend over ear for bass heavy music, I have Sennheiser iE8 with custom ear moulds which are probably the best bass oriented in ear ‘phones on the market but still prefer my over ears for bass. As others have said HD25 are very good if you can get them for close to your budget, my personal favourites though are the ultrasone hfi line, they are closed back like the hd25 so don’t leak as much sound to annoy others as open back headphones and the bass is fantastic! for your budget I’d stretch a little for the hfi 580 (£120 from I headphones) then start saving for a decent amp……….

Karl33to
    Free Member

Only trouble with SH HD25’s is the cables, if they’ve knackered (like all 3 of mine now are) they’re £30 to replace!

daisy2012
    Free Member

I strongly recommend Beats Headphones. I think they feel amazing, Beats Headphones is so comfortable and feel luxurious and Beats Headphones is the best sounding headphones that I’ve ever heard. You may check out here http://www.beatsheadphonesmonster.co.uk/

cynic-al
    Free Member

Reported.

lodious
    Free Member

Reported.

For breaking forum rules or recommending s*** headphones?

Cougar

(-:

cynic-al – Member
    Reported.
    POSTED 9 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Lmao!!

logical
    Free Member

I’ll probably be ridiculed for it but I love my Dre Beats.

CountZero

http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_M6P_Stylish_Earphones_p/earphone-m6p-mee.htm
    These ^
    I’ve got two pairs, in a BOGOF deal, when they were reduced as well. Currently on sale at $34.99, you could afford to get two pairs. They are outstanding, I use them all the time, and I’ve got Shure SE215’s, UE SuperFi 3Studio and UE TripleFi 10 Pro ‘phones. With the triple-flange tips they sit deep into the ear canal, giving a superb seal, and the bass goes very deep indeed, on some tracks it’s almost just pressure you can feel, rather than sound. I’ve listened to £170 Beats, and they’re rubbish, all bass at the expense of the rest of the frequency range.
    I even prefer them to B&W P3’s, at £170, which sound a bit ‘dull’ by comparison, and the bass didn’t seem quite as deep.
    Honestly, at that price you can afford to take a punt, and put them in a bag as emergency back-up if you don’t like them!
    Another neat thing is they are very low profile, so you could sleep wearing them, and wearing a beany over them doesn’t rub or catch on them.
    I love ’em to bits

schrickvr6
    Free Member

AIAIAI TMA-1, /end of thread]

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Surely by definition subbase in inaudiable…

Shhh, what are you trying to do, bring the Hi-Fi/Home Cinema market crashing down?!?! 😯

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Any headphone experts about..?’ is closed to new replies.