Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Any Forres (Morayshire) dwellers in the house?
  • beamers

Evening all

Looking for some honest opinions on what it’s like to live in Forres (Schools / community / etc / etc).

Ta in advance.

matt_outandabout

I am not a dweller. There are some Elgin and Forres dwellers on STW.

But I have trained a few of the teachers, in all the Forres schools.

I like the feel of the place, and the schools (especially Academy) seem good places and great staff.

I work regularly with one chap who does live there, and he thinks it an utterly brilliant place to bring up a couple of kids (his are teens/leaving home now), although he works for National Park so has a ‘tough’ commute each morning…

You just reminded me to book my accommodation in Elgin for a couple of weeks time…

kcal

In Elgin so can’t directly help (next town along and all that!!).

but email in profile if you want to get in touch with general queries – not sure there are other Forres folk on here but could be wrong..

jemima
    Free Member

It’s really dry 🙂

Property probably cheap with RAF folk leaving?

Nice beaches.

donald
    Free Member

I lived there until I was seven. As I was only seven and it was 47 years ago I’m very much out of date but I can confirm that people from Elgin are big fat jobbies. Especially kcal.

Oh and the Mosset burn floods so don’t buy a house next to it.

kcal

you should hear what is said about you…

Mosset Burn has a flood alleviation scheme in place since 2009 (along with one from the Findhorn)..
    http://www.moray.gov.uk/moray_standard/page_86432.html

donald
    Free Member

🙂

Innes
    Free Member

I live in Nairn, 10 miles west.

The general area is a good part of Scotland to live in, close to Inverness for larger shops cinema etc. The climate is good,

I am biased towards Nairn, being at the sea is good, and a bit closer to Inverness for my wifes work and getting access to wholesalers for work etc.

A friend moved to Forres a while ago and likes it, he works in Elgin so it made sense.

There are good options for mountain biking in the area, and quite a few trail centres are accessable if that is your thing.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

I grew up there, moved away in 98, but my parents still live there so I’m back there a fair bit. Forres Academy is decent nowadays, and there seems to be much more to do for young ‘uns nowadays. However the community feeling seems to have mostly disappeared. Nairn seems so much livelier with more things going on. The High St is very dead and the whole place seems much quieter than back in the day. The up side of this is there seems to be a lot fewer fights at the weekend. Whereabouts in town are you thinking of staying?

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Can also confirm people from Elgin are massive jobbies…

beamers

Thanks all.

Kcal – thanks for the advice you provided previously about Elgin. Linky.

kcal

ah, of course! didn’t twig it was same OP 🙂

Like all small towns Forres has its usual issues. It does have a bit more of a local town feel though as there – it seems to me – more local shops and local businesses. The loss of RAF Kinloss I thought might be a bit of a blow and while the Army keep themselves to themselves a bit more, there is good stuff going on and I think it will do fine. My LBS is in Forres – I think @donald used to go there when he was growing up, its still the same family run bike shop…

renton
    Free Member

Not sure about the schools as I live in Elgin but the Mossett tavern does some very nice food.

swavis

Can also confirm people from Elgin are massive jobbies…

this 😉

100mphplus
    Free Member

My old team mate lives in Forres and there are loads of MTB trails, they have a really good relationship with the FC and are constantly building and maintaining 😉

theblondeone
    Free Member

Just along the road outside Nairn here, really like Forres, area has excellent climate and decent riding with not too far for the mountains etc. Potential for big influx of RAF personnel over next few years as plans for siting new P8 maritime patrol aircraft at Lossiemouth. Some debate over this being possible for entire asset but that has been announced, at the very least you could expect a detachment. Not originally from the area but been here nearly two years and mostly loving it but miss immediate mountain access

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Hah, never heard of Forres having a good climate before! Though guess it gets a lot less rain than the hills. Good point in the MTB trails. Sanqhuar is great for an hour of pissing about with lots of other fun stuff all accessible off road.

beamers

@Renton – are you AKA Rents?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Any Forres (Morayshire) dwellers in the house?’ is closed to new replies.